stanni

What Motor Is Best For Tamiya Lunchbox?

hi all what motor is best for the tamiya lunchbox i have sport tuned motor in at the mo

thanks

do you want more speed or more tourque?

tourque but abit of both really

thanks

hi all what motor is best for the tamiya lunchbox i have sport tuned motor in at the mo

thanks

I'm about to start my LB project once the last two items I bought arrive (50520 cva dampers and the 50320 light kit). I've gone for the Dirt Tuned motor just for a little bit more then the standard silver can. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody but It has a tad less speed than the Speed Tuned motor @17,000 but a little more torque and I'm happy with that as I know the standard silver can is 14.000 and my original LB was hard to control at that! lol. Plus Im not going to use her a great deal more for show and the odd run! <_<

Can't wait to get started now!

Cheers

If you want a bit more pep than the Sport Tuned, cost wise I would go for a Super Stock TZ/RZ/BZ.

Sport tuned has 350g/cm torque and 18,300rpm, whereas the SS's have 500g/cm torque and about 26,500-27,500rpm (no load).

Only thing that bugs me is the brushes are worse than alloy pinions and wear like nobodies business, especially if they get any real heat into them.

Should be fine in a Lunchie. I run a technigold and that keeps me happy. Although if you're a real fan of torque got buy a brushless setup and never have wear on the front tyres again <_<

Although if you're a real fan of torque got buy a brushless setup and never have wear on the front tyres again ;)

Brushless Lunchbox is FUN!! MambaMax 5700Kv and 7.4v Li-Po in mine. 40km/h and tickle the throttle to pull a wheelie :D Not to mention the standing backflips. :P

The only trouble I have is keeping the tyres glued to the rims. <_<

My mate has the tamiya super stock tz running off the standard tamiya esc in his and it was a quick as it could sensibly handle after oil dampner upgrades. I would say the ezrun 9t would be workable if you want a brushless solution.

Brushless Lunchbox is FUN!! MambaMax 5700Kv and 7.4v Li-Po in mine. 40km/h and tickle the throttle to pull a wheelie :P Not to mention the standing backflips. :lol:

The only trouble I have is keeping the tyres glued to the rims. :blink:

Completely agree, even 3300kv and a 3000nimh puts a smile on my dial, but I felt sorry for the poor thing as it was getting a hiding being used on the asphalt outside my house. ;) Who can excercise throttle control when a 3/4 speed wheelie is only a trigger squeeze away? :lol:

Stanni, dont pay any attention to TA-Mark, He's an animal, he will tell you a 7100kv with 11.1v lipo is a good hop up for you 1/14 tractor truck :P

(Although I say this in jest, it wouldn't suprise me if Mark posted back saying he's already done it) :lol:

I've been thinking about gluing my Lunchie tyres too, sometimes the tyres dont sit in the beads properly (like they are loose) and it gets a bit of wobble on :D

Stanni, dont pay any attention to TA-Mark, He's an animal, he will tell you a 7100kv with 11.1v lipo is a good hop up for you 1/14 tractor truck :P

(Although I say this in jest, it wouldn't suprise me if Mark posted back saying he's already done it) :lol:

I'm not that bad... seriously! :blink: Most I've ever run on 11.1v Li-Po is a 5700Kv and it's in a converted nitro HPI MT2 (Chassis that can handle it). 7100Kv on 11.1v would exceed the safe rpm limit of the motor. :P In a 1:14 truck I wouldn't want to go over 2000Kv on 7.4v (14,800rpm), even that might be a bit fast. With the Mamba's PC interface you can adjust the throttle curve to take away power and make it comparable to a silvercan with huge long runtimes if you so desire. I have the 5700Kv in the Lunchbox tamed just a little, 0 motor timing and 90% punch control and 70% brakes (so those big wheels will lock for 'handbrake' turns). With all the mods I've done to the chassis it's a blast to drive and quite controllable.

Brushed motor, a BZ (23 turn) would make it go quite well. As these gearboxes are very efficient you may even get away with running in on the TEU101-BK if your ambient temperatures are not extreme. It's a 60Amp ESC which is more than some other brands which claim their 50Amp controller will handle 20 turn motors.

I've been thinking about gluing my Lunchie tyres too, sometimes the tyres dont sit in the beads properly (like they are loose) and it gets a bit of wobble on :mellow:

Very good idea to glue the tyres on. Even with the kit silvercan motor I was having the front tyres jump out of the beads when landing from a wheelie. With the 5700Kv they will balloon and fly off the rims at about 1/2 throttle, especially if one rear wheel lifts in the air and all of the power is transfered to the free wheel.

Great bit of fun these Lunchies with any motor.

Haha I was just playin' with ya. I have nowhere near the knowledge or experience with brushless or lipo you have and just posted a big number motor and lipo to sound impressive :blink: I just figured if anyone would put a crazy setup in the most unlikey RC (probably a tractor truck), my money would be on you first Mark :mellow: The guy (mtwarw74) who sold me the alloy mounts for my lunchie (arrived yesterday, great product), linked me to a vid of his DB01R with 7100kv and 3s, which is probably why posted those figures (I was impressed!)

sorry to go off topic.

Has anyone run 23t on the TEU101-BK?

Can you get away with it? The 23t rated ESC is pretty expensive.

Has anyone run 23t on the TEU101-BK?

Can you get away with it? The 23t rated ESC is pretty expensive.

A 23T motor is fine on the TEU101BK. Reputedly, you can go a little further too (21T?, maybe 19 if you're lucky?), subject to getting the gearing not too badly wrong & not doing lots of J-turns anyway ;) It should "thermal" (protect itself from further overheating by cutting out) before the magic smoke escapes.

"Expensive" ESCs? which one are you looking at? Try the Sniper RV-12: Waterproof, £24 posted & can handle twin silvercans in Clods & Twin Detonators, etc, + any brushed motor down to 12 turns. Seems pretty good value compared to £18-£20+ for a replacement 101 ? Although I suppose if you're comparing it to the "free" one that came with the kit, it won't seem such good value :P

A 23T motor is fine on the TEU101BK. Reputedly, you can go a little further too (21T?, maybe 19 if you're lucky?), subject to getting the gearing not too badly wrong & not doing lots of J-turns anyway ;) It should "thermal" (protect itself from further overheating by cutting out) before the magic smoke escapes.

"Expensive" ESCs? which one are you looking at? Try the Sniper RV-12: Waterproof, £24 posted & can handle twin silvercans in Clods & Twin Detonators, etc, + any brushed motor down to 12 turns. Seems pretty good value compared to £18-£20+ for a replacement 101 ? Although I suppose if you're comparing it to the "free" one that came with the kit, it won't seem such good value :P

Just looked at the sniper RV12 on modelsport.co.uk but no mention of being able to run twin cans....is this a self made mod done by adding 2 more motor wires?

Cheers

Rich

Just looked at the sniper RV12 on modelsport.co.uk but no mention of being able to run twin cans....is this a self made mod done by adding 2 more motor wires?

Cheers

Rich

Not even that hi-tech, Rich - I just chopped off the motor connectors & added two double sockets (like part #'s JDS & JDSI here). I suppose if you were worried about warranty you could make up a lead that plugged into the existing connectors & then split that into two...

If anyone is thinking of doing this, remember that 2 motors count double, so divide the turns by two - i.e. 27 turns / 2 = 13.5, so get an ESC rated that or a lower number ;)

"Expensive" ESCs? which one are you looking at? Try the Sniper RV-12: Waterproof, £24 posted & can handle twin silvercans in Clods & Twin Detonators, etc, + any brushed motor down to 12 turns. Seems pretty good value compared to £18-£20+ for a replacement 101 ? Although I suppose if you're comparing it to the "free" one that came with the kit, it won't seem such good value ;)

Cool thanks for the response. Just to let you know I was looking at the Tamiya TEU-302BK ESC - £62 odd quid!!

Not even that hi-tech, Rich - I just chopped off the motor connectors & added two double sockets (like part #'s JDS & JDSI here). I suppose if you were worried about warranty you could make up a lead that plugged into the existing connectors & then split that into two...

If anyone is thinking of doing this, remember that 2 motors count double, so divide the turns by two - i.e. 27 turns / 2 = 13.5, so get an ESC rated that or a lower number ;)

Now

thats an idea! I like that! In fact I think thats what I'll do for the Clod I just acquired instead of the teu103bk!

Cheers!

Rich

gone for the BZ - will keep you posted.

Wow this thing flies now and is certainly has a lot more torque. But is there any chance of mashing up the gear box - i've noticed it seems to be veering off in one direction even after steering adjustments/trim.

Is it possible that its putting more power down on one wheel? I'm para that i'm doing some damage inside.

**** - managed to break the servo jumping it round. I ended up having to screw the bit of plastic back in with a bigger screw as the hole was just threaded. Any advice to prevent this happening? Don't really wanna buy a new servo.

**** - managed to break the servo jumping it round. I ended up having to screw the bit of plastic back in with a bigger screw as the hole was just threaded. Any advice to prevent this happening? Don't really wanna buy a new servo.

I think, and I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong, that you can get alloy servo mounts but then all the force would be on the chassis so not sure thats good either to be honest as servos are cheaper than a chassis!

Cheers

Rich