Sign in to follow this  
beetlebanger1

2010 Sand Scorcher Performance ?

well now that no ones going to be scared to use one for fear of damage .......... what does it go like . running times etc . ?? ....... is it everything you hoped it would be ..... and now the the ball diffs are in good supply whats is handle like ........

I saw where Tamiya will be selling their own ball diff for the gearbox.

The sand scorcher is a decent runner. They are heavy and tend to roll a lot on high grip surfaces

...They are heavy and tend to roll a lot on high grip surfaces
I have a Super Champ, and I suspect that must be produced by the lack of differential gears. What would you say, Shodog?

I didn't even realize until now that Tamiya has reissued the Sand Scorcher. That is awesome! I wish they would do the same with the Bruiser, Mountaineer, and Hilux(original). That would be too cool :rolleyes:

ok boys so keep me guessing !!! ....... whats the running times like .........

Depends on the battery and running surface I suppose, using an old 1200Mah NiCd on a sandy beach, not very long I don't think ;)

I can't really answer till I build mine :rolleyes:

"what does it go like . running times etc . ?? ....... is it everything you hoped it would be"

Running time depends on your battery, I got a 1700mAh, ni-cd 7.2v and am not dissapointed.. In that respect a lot has changed in 30 years....

Is it everything you hoped it would be; that depends on what your hoping for, it is a car which was desinged 30 yrs ago, so if you hope for the latest, most technological advanced etc.. your hopes will not be met. ( a lot has changed in 30 yrs) turning circle and suspension are really from the 80's....

If you like the oldschool way of building and driving, even in water, sand and mud then your hopes will be met :(

Do they handle alright without a diff?

They understeer badly and spinout easily without a diff. Hence why I made up the bevel gear diff for my Super Champ and will be getting some of RA1028's ball diffs for the new ones.

If you like doing donuts... the solid diff is fine.

well years ago when i had one it as case of bag full of batteries . running stick packs about 8/10 mins with the standard mtr........ now im hoping to get the li po or what ever its called battery ... so what can i expect the running time to be ........ just the usual messing around driving kickin up some dust etc ??