Judderman

Newbie Spray Job

Hi all,

spose i better introduce meself properly me names Andy or judderman to some as i got bad nerves lol, currently on the good end of a build of a hi lift hilux.

yep im another newbie to the tamiya world, i must say though what a wicked 3 days i had building it, its my first build... ever ! no airfix, hornby nowt as a kid so this is my absolute first build, any comments would greatfully be appreciated for my next build and what to look out for etc.

So far with the kit ive built the chassis without the 4 wheel steering option, flipped the battery to on top of the chassis as underneath it didnt look too good but could someone tell me if there is a way to lower the body/suspension as the wheels to me seem a little small for the lift its got compared to my other "real life" truck it looks like its on stilts a bit lol ( My real life truck ) Also if anyone has any hints & tips for the hand painting sections as ive painted the lenses no problem ive painted the inside of the lens on all the lenses just to stop the paint from scratching off, its the black lines in and around the lens itself thats giving me trouble as in the brush i have is like a needle but still i manage to slip off the raised line... i blame my nerves

Ive uploaded a couple of pics of the body ive just finished spraying the basecoat on, be putting the clearcoat on tomorrow as ill leave it overnight to dry the colour is a ford colour called " caymen blue " metallic

P140210_2010.jpg

P140210_2011.jpg

Any comments good or bad please do let me know & any advice on dropping the height a bit i'd really appreciate it :D be good to hear from some like minded people as my family think im mad !

( you know who you are - JasXpear im finally here dude !!! )

You've just reminded me Ive got to go to morrisons after work tomorrow, nice paint job, love the colour

is that bmw caymen blue?Fantastic colour matey

thanks very much mate i did look at that colour in halfords the ford version is slightly darker, might need a light dusting over when this coat is dry, down by the wheelarches and the front bottom corners of the wings is a little bit light also the bed aint drying as smooth as i'd like but its covered so hopefully the clearcoat will sort the texture issue out then its bolt on and away :D

You've just reminded me Ive got to go to morrisons after work tomorrow, nice paint job, love the colour

lol fair enough mate, may i ask though how did a spray job remind you to go to morrisons ? or was it my real truck thats on my works yard next to morrisons ? if its the latter ya might hear it run up about 4pm, be my knocking off time then :D

lol fair enough mate, may i ask though how did a spray job remind you to go to morrisons ? or was it my real truck thats on my works yard next to morrisons ? if its the latter ya might hear it run up about 4pm, be my knocking off time then :D

LOL No its the morrisons gravy granules in the picture that you've used to hold the shell up off the paper :D

LOL No its the morrisons gravy granules in the picture that you've used to hold the shell up off the paper :D

ya know i never noticed the word " BEEF " through the cab till you mentioned, bit of corporate brand plugging there lol

ya know i never noticed the word " BEEF " through the cab till you mentioned, bit of corporate brand plugging there lol

Yeah mate :D You'll have to post some more pics when you've done.

I always use the paint pens from tamiya for the window aperture rubber or silver molding look, quick and easy. You can get the silver ones in stationary/ art stores under a different brand.

I to am not looking forward to painting window rubbers etc on both my re-re pajero and when i get the re-re SS bodyset! Would think a paint pen be best

never been to steady with a brush or maybe just not using correct brushes to load up brush with paint and get and even line woth out big blobs coming off!

Worse thing i can see trying to do it the rear lights on pajero!! how do i attmempt that? paint over all colour first of course, then i guess do red + orange lights and how does

one paint the rasied lip the forms edge of lights???

Magnifying glass or do as I do and bluetack a loup from maplin onto my reading glasses! If your brush is to fat use cocktail stick. Lamp lenses - if they are clear use the tamiya transparent lens paint on the inside, if they are solid plastic then I paint them silver first then use lens paint over that, hope this helps.

Magnifying glass or do as I do and bluetack a loup from maplin onto my reading glasses!

Now there's a pic Id like to see lol

Well thats the clearcoat on, 2 days in the airing cupboard should have it resin polish ready to fetch them ******* bits that insist on landing on it when its wet !! :D still i dont think theyre deep enough to go down to the base coat so some autoglym resin polish should sort that out.

i know it dont look too disimilar from the pics previous & that the pic dont show how the clearcoat has bought the metallic out but i do admit it does look a badword of a lot better than just the base coat and that was nice enough... so nearly done it metallic black but with the heavy tint of the windows it would of looked like a black blob and put me off, i couldnt make me mind up between a blue or green metallic... so this colour went on lol

cab.jpg

what d'ya all reckon ? do the professionals pass my attempt at a spray job ? please do be honest ;)

Sweet job mate, very nice, your hard work paid off, although I miss the BEEF logo :D

Sweet job mate, very nice, your hard work paid off, although I miss the BEEF logo :lol:

ah the bin got emptied not long after i used it, the pic of it is on a drawing board, to spray it this time round it was sitting on an empty guinness tin ( not a full one of course ) to gain more height to spray the sills and lower bed proper, shant be making the mistake of a light coat lower down again, put me at least 2 days behind, next job is paint the fiddly bits, had a blast the other day with some tamiya lens red, turned out well nice love that lens paint very effective

looking good!

i advise 7 days hardening time though. rattle cans do need a week to harden fully!

Looks great, well done.

i advise 7 days hardening time though. rattle cans do need a week to harden fully!

Seconded. I usually wait 2 weeks before taking wet and dry and/or polish to rattle can paint. The longer the better.