Hey folks,

Just signed up to this forum (::newbie::) after a little while reading through some of the posts. Have to say I've been looking for somewhere I can have good old chat about my MB ;) . Gotta say there's a lot of nice looking examples on here! Below is a pic of mine so far. Spent the last 7 months or so getting it to where it is now. Thought I pretty much finished...read some of the posts here and then realised there's still a heap more stuff I wanna do haha. I've had a look at some of the chat and I think I've bought a few bits from peeps off here via eBay :P

Anyway I've kinda put this together with little knowledge about the alternative parts etc from I've chosen so would be good to here your thoughts! Go easy though ;) I've got a load of pics and could put some more up if anyone's interested. Unfortunately I'm not up to speed with all the lingo so if I ask for an explanation try not to laugh too much!

Anyway...hello!

wipes dribble from keyboard

That is one very nice MB, love the wheels. :)

Thanks! ;)

I'm having a look to find some details about the parts I've bought to give some more info! Below is another pic with the shell off. I'll update ASAP with the details. I'm really looking for something to help with the steering as the arms have popped out a couple of times. I'm running it with a 9T brushless and so far I've no problems ::touch wood:: with the gear box. I looking to upgrade that as well if poss.

mate that is well tasty!

lose the plastic bumper though :)

more pics!

mate that is well tasty!

lose the plastic bumper though ;)

more pics!

Haha yeah I guess. I kinda liked one of those bumpers that was like...a double bumper! Maybe not! I'm having probs uploading more pics. I'm under the 500 limit after resizing but it's saying it's over the limit even though it registers it's under :)

I'll keep trying. I'm sure it's probably user error ;)

OK so it may go...!

OK not sure why but can't upload pics at the moment. Gonna read some of the problem solving etc in another thread and see if I'm doing something wrong. Logged out/logged in after restarting and before I attempted to post is was still showing the previous info about attachments etc. I'll get some more pics and details up ASAP. Thanks for the comments :)

You can host pics externally no problem on a site such as photobucket and then link them here.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

that looks sweet where did u get the wheels and tires from i could do with some like that for my lunchbox

My, that's a nice Beetle :)

The shiny red G1 part looks amazing too :D Whoever made those did a fantastic job :)

I see you have the same wheels as me too, from Mikea96? I'm having a few problems getting them onto the axle's far enough though, I think I need a "lower profile" locking nut but I have no idea where to get one from!

Here's a few more pics including the stinger. I guess it should be central but that position was the easiest to fix it on.

Yup that lovely shiny G-Part is a quality part, whoever made it?? :)

Yup same wheels as well, I love them! Got the same problem with the fronts. I used a tap & die set to add a couple of extra threads and that sorted it pretty well.

Got the tyres from A Main Hobbies; Pro-Line Moab 2.2" M3 Truck Tires. They were about £35 including postage. They grip very well. Bit too well for tarmac/concrete as turning, even at low speed, results in two wheel action/rolling/damage/more repairs :P

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v240/sjo...nster%20Beetle/

I originally had some grippy tires on my custom beetle but they were a bit too grippy so I went back to the originals for the same reasons - too many flips when cornering!

As for the wheels, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm waiting for Mike to come back to me now.....

I'm glad you liked the G1 part though :) Sure does look pretty.... :P

[note to others : I have a few black and reds left, but plenty gold; I might think about reducing the price a little if anyone is interested in gold]

I originally had some grippy tires on my custom beetle but they were a bit too grippy so I went back to the originals for the same reasons - too many flips when cornering!

As for the wheels, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm waiting for Mike to come back to me now.....

I'm glad you liked the G1 part though :) Sure does look pretty.... :P

[note to others : I have a few black and reds left, but plenty gold; I might think about reducing the price a little if anyone is interested in gold]

Yeah I beginning to think about swapping them back. Not tried them out much yet though, hopefully would be better on gravel.

I've got a couple of questions about the gearing and wondered if anyone could help?

At the moment I'm using the original pinion gear (I think that's what it's called) that attaches to the motor arm thing that then rests on the main gear in the gear box. Will there be any change to performance (in anyway) if I change it to a larger pinion?? I may be wrong but thought it may make the top end speed quicker? Failing that at least some sort of over all performance change? I'm running a Ezun 9T brushless at the moment. It comes with a programe card you can plug in to the ESC and change the tourqe and eccelerating options but not sure if it would be better to leave it at the default setting?

Any advicde would be good!

I've got a couple of questions about the gearing and wondered if anyone could help?

At the moment I'm using the original pinion gear (I think that's what it's called) that attaches to the motor arm thing that then rests on the main gear in the gear box. Will there be any change to performance (in anyway) if I change it to a larger pinion?? I may be wrong but thought it may make the top end speed quicker? Failing that at least some sort of over all performance change? I'm running a Ezun 9T brushless at the moment. It comes with a programe card you can plug in to the ESC and change the tourqe and eccelerating options but not sure if it would be better to leave it at the default setting?

Any advicde would be good!

What batteries are you running with the ezrun are they lipo or nimh. If you want more performance then a quicker motor would be the best solution. Although surely the ezrun is pushing its limits of driveability. Get the 5.5t combo and just dial it back keeping the same pinion. Unless you have poor batteries in which case get some good nimh or lipo.

Essentially, the larger the pinion gear, the less low end torque but higher top end you'll have. However over gearing via the pinion will increase heat in your motor and/or ESC.

However, I think you'll need an adjustable motor mount before you can think of putting bigger pinions on, simply putting a larger pinion on with the motor in the same place wont work due to the difference in size!

Then you run into another problem. Most of the adjustable motor mounts available (CRA + old CRP if you can find one) are designed for the Frog/Brat setup, which does not use the additional motor mount like we use for the Beetle/Blackfoot and they also use a much larger pinion than the 10T stock. As a result, when you try using a 11/12/13T pinion, the rear trailing arm fouls against the motor can and limits its travel, but only on that side of course.

So, you could use an adjustable mount, and gear it up with a slightly larger pinion but you'll have to deal with the fouling; or you could whack a large pinion on but that will severely mess with the gearing and reduce the low end, even with a nice brushless setup. I think.

I have an 8.5T with the standard 10T pinion (soon to be replaced with a Robinson 10T for additional strength) and it has loads of power and top end - I might leave it at that or I might try and play around to get a 12/13T on there with one of the adjustable mounts and a bit of jiggery pokery.

I'm also wondering what would happen if you used the Frog/Brat internal spur/counter gear setup as they are changeable in terms of pitch I think. Not really looked into the idea any more yet though.

Spot on Pete, found the same thing with mine - ended up taking a dremel to the arm and shaving some out so that it would sit flush to the motor when fully extended. Not ideal but an easy solution.

Got a pic you can share mate?

I'm tempted to do the same but I have doubts about the strength of the trailing arms anyway, let alone once I've shaved a load off! :D If I wont have to cut too much then I might get on the case tonight, I have a spare set of arms if it all goes horribly wrong.

Using a 4600 nimh. That gives me about 20-25 running time so not too bad.

OK so sounds like I should leave as is or get a quicker motor. May try changing the setting on the ESC.

if you REALLY want to go even faster, then you might want to consider LiPo batteries?

I'm surprised you managed to whack in a 9T Ezrun without changing the stock gears/diff.... mine is running on a full Thorp setup which I had to tighten quite a lot to deal with the kick from my brushless setup; I fear that you'll be stripping gears in no time at stock! I'd be interested to hear how you get on though, keep us updated!

How fast does it go now and how fast do you want it to go? I always figured anything more than 8.5T (full 540 sized motor) would be silly as you'll never be able to control it. As it is mine will pull a constant wheelie at full throttle which makes steering a tad difficult as the wheels aren't on the ground much!

if you REALLY want to go even faster, then you might want to consider LiPo batteries?

I'm surprised you managed to whack in a 9T Ezrun without changing the stock gears/diff.... mine is running on a full Thorp setup which I had to tighten quite a lot to deal with the kick from my brushless setup; I fear that you'll be stripping gears in no time at stock! I'd be interested to hear how you get on though, keep us updated!

How fast does it go now and how fast do you want it to go? I always figured anything more than 8.5T (full 540 sized motor) would be silly as you'll never be able to control it. As it is mine will pull a constant wheelie at full throttle which makes steering a tad difficult as the wheels aren't on the ground much!

I dunno I think I may have a case of speed lust after attaching that brushless! It was running on a 15T Brushed before which wasn't that much quicker than the original to be honest. Not sure how quick it is now, I mean it's quick, it'll doughnut (with Blackfoot tyres) in the dry, on tarmac. Maybe just over 20mph. That's just a guess though. It hasn't been run a massive amount with the 9T so maybe it will strip it anytime. I think from what you've said it maybe inevitable :D The only change I've made to the back end is a CRP axle conversion kit but nothing to the gears. If I wanted to change it, to say, a full Thorp setup what price are we looking at assuming parts are around? The gearing slips but only a very very small amount and only seems to when the battery is nearly out of charge. Maybe I should take the motor off and have a look!

:D I was expecting a reply along those lines! Remember, the Monster Beetle was released way before anyone was really using Brushless tech.

I was VERY lucky and managed to grab a brand new Thorp Diff, brand new in packet, for £29 posted! That was a massive bargain and I have seen second hand setup's go for three figures on many occasions.

It replaces the three bevel gears that act as a diff at the moment with some ball bearings and plates. You tighten the plates and it tightens the diff.

You'll be lucky to pick up a Thorp Diff (http://www.rcchopshop.com/thorp/thorp4500.html) at any rate, let alone get a bargain on one, for no other reason than they are very rare due to age. I'm not sure how I managed to grab such a bargain but I'm not complaining! I don't want to sell it, even to make a huge profit, as it's hopefully stopping me from stripping the gear box to shreds when I take her out.

Have a look here for my thread along a similar nature - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=55009&hl=