Sign in to follow this  
DimmaDan

Painting Kamtec Clear Bodies

Has anyone done this using Pactra airbrush paints and how well do the stick?

The main reason for asking is they have said Lexan and polycarb on some of their descriptions.

Does Pactra stick to PVC?

Cheers

Hi Dan..

Sofar, i have painted around 70 RC-bodies, all done with Pactra paint, both for airbrush, and the spray ones, i a have not yet experienced any kind of sticking probs with them. of course, the the pre-paint work must be done properly, the cleaning of the shell for removing any residue from the moulding procees is of course what i mean here..

On the other hand, i have also tried Faskolor, and i must say, that i clearly prefer pactra over faskolor. I think that the pactra-paints are way easier to deal with compared to Faskolor.

Also, i have tried both the LRP paints, and the Custom Colour ones, and none of then gets even close to Pactra in my opinion..

I am using a Badger 360 universal airbrush, which is way better than my old DeVilbiss Sprite major, i had earlier. the Badger´s o-rings seems much more resistant to thinners than the ones in the DeVilbiss...

I am not sure the paint will stick permanently to PVC, as it might be too flexible for the paint to "keep up with it"..

Good luck..

Cheers..

Michael

I find that the acrylic (water based) Pactra paints for airbrushing suffer from poor adhesion to the surface, especially the pale colours.

This is not something that affects the solvent based Racing Finish bottles and spray cans.

The only other paints I have recent experience with are Tamiya sprays (very good adhesion) and Custom Colour spraycans (went on OK but has never been used for racing).

Dan> No, not yet, but i have actually got a Kamtec RR-shell waiting to be painted. It looks to me as if the shell is made of high quality lexan though, so i am not anticipating trouble of any kind.

Actually, i didnt know that pactra also offered water-based paints?.

I have only used the solvent-based ones, i have had no probs whatsoever with their adhesion to the bodies. Just remember to use thin layers of paint, as thick layers will have a tendancy to crack and loose its grip on the shell..

Usually, when i buy 1 glass of Pactra-paint, i divide it into 2 glasses, and the refill both of them with thinner. This gives the paint the thickness, suited for my airbrush..

If it is lexan I would use Tamiya PS series paints. I have used Pactra and Custom Colour before and found them more likely to flake than Tamiya spray.

Its a dificult design and i need to use fine spray. Plus i find that after one use PS cans are pretty ****.

Kamtec Scorcher, Tamiya paints

Had a bucket load of abuse thrown at it and the paint is still where I put it [:D]

001.JPG

quote:Originally posted by DimmaDan

Has anyone done this using Pactra airbrush paints and how well do the stick?

The main reason for asking is they have said Lexan and polycarb on some of their descriptions.

Does Pactra stick to PVC?

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

Pactra will not work well on PVC, but that isn't a problem. Kamtec bodies are made of polycarbonate(also known as Lexan) the same as every other body manufacturers including Tamiya.