Sign in to follow this  
28yoKid

Birthday Coming Up! Ss10? Or Something Else?

Hi all,

Its been a while. I hope you are all in fine form :( I have been busy with working a new job and having a kid too; 8MontholdKid. I got a bit dissolutioned with all my Tamiya models breaking on me -all my fault- might I add! As I wanted more speed, more power and bigger and bigger jumps LOL! So I bought an eRevo to take all the punishment I wanted to dish out. However, although massively capable, the revo is characterless and has no charisma. I have really missed building Tamiya kits, and my restored Monster Beetle -which I sold on ebay to get the revo.

I see the Sand Scorcher has been re-released and I have asked 28yoWife if I could have one...seems to have the green light :D

As a relatively new guy to Tamiya, I don't remember this one from the 1st time around. My first question is whether this kit is good value for money? It seems a little pricey, although the metal parts must add some robustness to the package. I am planning to use it on grass only, in summer with a sport tuned motor...no punishing this time!

I see the Rough rider comes in at a similar price. Any major differences except looks?

Also. Does anyone think that the Monster Beetle will ever be re-released? -Go on, humour me!

Cheers

The SS2010 is a great car, and a fun build, even if the majority of the glee for me was having an actual SS in my grubby paws.

It's a fairly straight forward build too and shouldn't take you too long to put together. It also has a "low" and "high" gearing option included in the box as well.

I reckon if you have your heart set on one, go for it - there is definitely something special about a Scorcher in my book, whether you're a Beetle-phile like me or not, and if it's a car with character that you're after that's the one to go for :(

Cheers Steelrat. High AND low gear eh? If I opt for high, does that mean grass is a no-no? -with an ST540.

Id say go for it 28!

I enjoyed building the SS10 alot. I havent run mine yet and not sure that I will, but it looks great on the shelf!

Cheers,

Steve.

I say go for it also 28.. I just placed an order two hours ago, USA seller www.rpphobby.com had a great deal for $319.00 and free shipping! I should have it Wednesday :huh: ..

Cheers Steelrat. High AND low gear eh? If I opt for high, does that mean grass is a no-no? -with an ST540.

To be honest with you, I don't know. I've not got a battery for mine yet, so haven't had a chance to run it. I'd have thought the high ratio would be for tarmac or compacted dirt, and low for everything else. I've stuck the low one in mine partly to make it more flexible, but mainly on the thought that if it's going slower, I'm less likely to roll and trash it :huh:

It doesn't really matter though. The spur and pinion gears are readily accessible. Just 3 (or 4?) screws on the clear gear casing and you could swap them out whilst "in the field" as it were.