TIMtam

Brushless Vs Brushed

Hiii

ve been looking at upgrading my motor in my tt01, i currently have a gt tuned motor.

Im looking at the tamiya super modified 11t motor as it runs at 38000 rpm

i have a tamiya super stock rz in one of my other cars and im very impressed by its speed at 27500rpm

BUT ive been looking at getting a brushless motor and the carson dragster sport 10T for instance runs at 27500rpm; the same as my rz,,,,

so i just wondered whether there is a difference between them even tho the figures are similar????

Hope someone can help :(

thanks

mike

Brushless systems work on Kv so if you get a 6000Kv motor with a 7.2V battery that will make 43200RPM

If you fit a bigger battery you will get more RPM on the brushless motor. :(KV multiplied by Voltage = RPM.

brushless will be more efficient for a given speed, with the flexability of being able to put more volts through the same motor to get more speed. almost zero mantainance as well with brushless. for a slightly higher initial outlay, you will save money over time.

Go with the brushless setup. The specs you're reading for a brushed motor assume that the thing is in top shape. A brushed motor needs to be broken in and will deteriorate pretty quick. I've known guys who will swap out a motor after two or three 8-minute runs. To keep the thing in top condition you'll be changing brushes and breaking them in, and will need a comm lathe. Personally I'd rather be running than rebuilding it.

When I got back into the toy car hobby I got a TC4 RTR with a Reedy Radon 19T and ran the thing for 4 months. By chance I picked up an identical unused motor and when I swapped it in I picked up over 2-seconds on my lap times just because the old motor was worn out. The difference is significant.

In general a brushless will also develop more torque so comparing kV ratings between brushed and brushless is an imperfect science at best since you would gear them very differently.