Sign in to follow this  
Judderman

Another Hi-lift Hilux Is Born

Adoo all,

finally finished the hi-lift hilux today, tested it out in the living room, changes gears like it should, tracking and toe-in-out is bang on, i do have some slight niggles if someone can help me out ? being,

i do find the "crawling" gear runs ok but not a lot of torque there seems like the clutch plate is slipping i followed the instructions to say tighten the locknut and load spring right up then back off a couple, unless this is how its meant to be ? the other gears have plenty of pull and no slip i would of thought the crawling gear would have a lot of torque and no speed like my real truck has lol.

also is it normal when you go into reverse the motor makes an electrical tone then starts to move ? forward doesnt do this it just goes.

And would it be normal to get a lot of intereference from laptops ? particularly with bluetooth and wi-fi on, cus i lost all control when i drove my truck past it, it seemed to have an epileptic fit, all the servos went mental, luckily it pulled itself out of gear or between 2 gears and revved its nuts off... spose there aint a lot i can do about that

anyroad the completed pics :

side.jpg

diagonal1.jpg

under.jpg

oh the side strip aint the black flexible rubber one that tamiya supplied, its sticky backed chrome strip i got from halfords for my real truck, its 3mm wide and when warmed up it can be formed into any shape and stuck on, thinner stuff can be purchased ideal for window frame trimmings & anything that takes your fancy :(

Beautiful Truck!! I'm not familiar with this truck so I could be wrong. I suggest checking the motor connections again and spur/pinion mesh. It could be the ESC, many make distinct noises which are normal. Double check everything to be safe.

That looks really classy, colour really suits it. Shouldn't the electronic speed control default to a stop position if signal is lost? There again the old 27mhz is really prone to interference.

SWEEEEEEET AS, great job, makes me want one. This beauty really deserves some spektrum radio gear :huh:

SWEEEEEEET AS, great job, makes me want one. This beauty really deserves some spektrum radio gear :huh:

As a noob as i am to this game mate, what is spektrum radio gear then ?

oh with the other bothers im getting, the clutch is much better now, it seems even these scale models need to "bed" some parts in so thats sorted. the interference is sorted, i went outside & the servos that chatter when sitting idle ive sorted by fine tuning the remote till they stop so thats all cool.

anyone know of a good accessory place, fancyful things scale jerry cans, winches and the like ? the MFU i gotta save up for, they aint cheap are they ? bleedin badword

thanks for the nice comments everyone, good to know what you do and what you make is appreciated :) one day im sure i'll get there with all the fancy bits n pieces, hop ups and the like

As a noob as i am to this game mate, what is spektrum radio gear then ?

oh with the other bothers im getting, the clutch is much better now, it seems even these scale models need to "bed" some parts in so thats sorted. the interference is sorted, i went outside & the servos that chatter when sitting idle ive sorted by fine tuning the remote till they stop so thats all cool.

anyone know of a good accessory place, fancyful things scale jerry cans, winches and the like ? the MFU i gotta save up for, they aint cheap are they ? bleedin badword

thanks for the nice comments everyone, good to know what you do and what you make is appreciated :huh: one day im sure i'll get there with all the fancy bits n pieces, hop ups and the like

Take a look at www.rc4wd.com and www.rpphobby.com for some cool stuff :).. Also the Spectrum radio system is very nice, no need for radio crystals so no interference! Click to see and read the benefits http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm3160.htm

Those new Hiluxs just don't do it for me, but that does look really good :D

I just wish they would have kept the all metal chassises and parts like the originals B)

Those new Hiluxs just don't do it for me, but that does look really good :(

I just wish they would have kept the all metal chassises and parts like the originals ;)

Thanks very much mate, as a newbie to it all i dont really know any better but looking at pics of the blazing blazer & other such trucks around at that time it does seem a shame that most parts are plastic now, seems though there attention to detail has improved over the years with the hi-lift series, was very tempted with the tundra but the hilux did swing it for me since i knew it was possible to lower it, which i have done. Also its been one of them things on my life long " want " list now i own one, built it myself and got it all to how ive been wanting it in my head for years... kinda greedy of me as i own a real life hi-lift toyota hilux mk3 but the 35x12.5x15 inch wheels i just cant seem to fit under the arches of my model lol.

Also the model makes for a good training ground for the real life counterpart, as most suspension parts are of an equivalent or scarily the same, i can strip the model first to see how its done, then go out in the cold and do it for real

Beautiful Hilift. What kind of paint and the color did you use?

Thanks very much mate, the primer, colour & lacquer i got from halfords, The primer is there own branded plastic primer ( grey ) the colour is an acrylic based "ford caymen blue metallic" there own brand again & the lacquer is under there own name as well, in all it cost me £18 to spray it for 1xprimer, 2xcolour ( 1 will do, the 2nd is for touching in/back up just in case ) 1x lacquer.

as mentioned earlier the bmw caymen blue is a lot similar, just the ford is a bit darker and somehow more "reactive" to sunlight, praps cus the metallic fleck stands out more in a darker colour base, dunno but im happy with how it turned out i was expecting some sorta reaction with the primer and the plastic as i didnt prep the plastic in no way other than a dust off with a tack cloth ( lint free cloth will do just as good ) then dust coated it till a barrier was made, then went for it lol, pretty easy from there on really.