Sign in to follow this  
mongoose1983

2010 Sand Scorcher Nosecone

Hey there.

I was wondering if any of the owners of the new Sand Scorcher can tell me if the new nosecone is the same with the one from 1979? If not, what are the differences?

You all have a great week-end! :huh:

EB

--

I think you'll be more successful at the Sand Scorcher 2010 thread!

As the owner's hanging there!

God luck!

Badboy

When the first pics of the SS2010 was published, a couple of members meant there were differances between the original and rerelease nosecone. I believe it was mentioned in the thread Badboy recommends at around page 60 or so :lol:

Cheers

Fritjofarnold

When the first pics of the SS2010 was published, a couple of members meant there were differances between the original and rerelease nosecone. I believe it was mentioned in the thread Badboy recommends at around page 60 or so :lol:

Cheers

Fritjofarnold

Yes, back then it was guessing. Now we can know for sure. (if anyone steps forward and do the comparison)

Please someone makes repro fenders!!!!!!!!

Max

Yeah, repro fenders would really help the body with which they have re-released the Sand Scorcher.

Anyway, I still can't find anywhere info about the nosecone. Anybody in the know in here?

Yeah, repro fenders would really help the body with which they have re-released the Sand Scorcher.

Anyway, I still can't find anywhere info about the nosecone. Anybody in the know in here?

I already posted in the 'Sand Scorcher 2009' thread, have a look:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry364070

-Steve

THANK YOU, STEVE!

My pleasure, sir! :)

-S

Bumped as I just got a new nosecone from SS2010 P parts and tried it on my old Sand Scorcher 1979 shell (white glass hard Styrene original body shell) and the new nosecone doesn't fit as well as I had hoped. It's not a bad fit but then again it's not all that good either. There are some problems near the upper left and right edges of the nosecone which would require work with abrasive sheets (about P600 Silicon Carbide used wet). Sorry about the dust on the body and the window LOL...

See pictures below!

The P parts are very nice though, the exhaust is nearly identical (but the fixing point for where the exhaust "tubes" come together just below the stinger exhaust and screw into the middle of the top bar of the rear cage into the metal bracket has been strengthened a little i.e. larger diameter plastic for the screw to go into but exhaust tubes are the same diameter to look at), the driver doll, steering wheel, windscreen wipers, are all same as original SS1979 / Monster Beetle / Blitzer Beetle it seems, the license plates are flat with no embossed lettering on them, and the Nose Cone has been completely reconstructed using what seems to be CAD / CAM.

You can tell because the original SS1979 nosecone was altered to create the MB one ( when you look at the MB one it has the exact same tool marks as the SS1979 one) and then that was altered to make the Blizter Beetle one which effectively destroyed the SS1979 one as the BB nosecone is completely different, and the tool marks on this new SS2010 nosecone are completely different from the tool marks on the SS1979 nosecone, plus you can see where the machine tools have been at work on the new part ( the old one was done by hand). But the new nose cone is *almost* identical to the original.

So I'm pretty happy with the new parts. To a point.

Bad points are that there are no longer any separate door handles (they are instead moulded into the shell like the BB ones) and there rear lights don't have separate lenses. A good point is that the new parts have a cover over the top of the license plate like the original SS.

I wish someone could injection mould the original SS1979 body complete with correct wings (fenders)...

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1278189741_thumb.jpg

post-6936-1278189756_thumb.jpg

I wish someone could injection mould the original SS1979 body complete with correct wings (fenders)...

Actually, I would have been excited about the Sand Scorcher re-re if it would have been like the original one. I was shocked when I first heard about the differences. I felt Tamiya was being VERY unfair with their fans -pretty much as if they would have rereleased the legendary Rough Rider with a Lexan body. That would have been a disaster!