Sign in to follow this  
Torhaantje

Modern Shocks For Ss 2010/buggy Champ

Hi all,

With the re-release of the buggy champ and sandscorcher 2010, I am really looking forward to run these cars. I have built my Buggy champ: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...75&sid=5123 with great pleasure, but found the "upgraded" shocks :) still leaking and not performing well. So I would like to upgrade the shocks. What modern shocks will fit, look good and perform accordingly?

Any suggestions/ experiences are more than welcome! :)

Cherio,

Rick

Hi all,

With the re-release of the buggy champ and sandscorcher 2010, I am really looking forward to run these cars. I have built the Buggy champ (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=94775&id=5123) with great pleasure, but find the "upgraded" shocks :) still leaking and not performing well. So I would like to upgrade the shocks. What modern shocks will fit, look good and perform accordingly?

Cherio,

Rick

Having not built my SS yet what are the lengths of the shocks on these two kits?

Hi all,

With the re-release of the buggy champ and sandscorcher 2010, I am really looking forward to run these cars. I have built the Buggy champ http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...75&sid=5123 with great pleasure, but find the "upgraded" shocks :) still leaking and not performing well. So I would like to upgrade the shocks. What modern shocks will fit, look good and perform accordingly?

Cherio,

Rick

I've been working on this for a while, see my showroom for more details...

img20012_28022010132855_8.jpg

Paul

3Racing Tamtech gear shocks and F201 shocks can be made to fit. They are both smaller diameter than standard "Touring" shocks.

Various spring sets are available.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Tamtech shocks do fit but the fronts are a bit short for the SRB mounts, so I've gone with Tamtech rears all round. Let me know if you want a pic I'll put one up later.

Tamtech shocks do fit but the fronts are a bit short for the SRB mounts, so I've gone with Tamtech rears all round. Let me know if you want a pic I'll put one up later.

They fit but I question their effectiveness for such a large and heavy chassis. I had the aeration tamtech dampers but they are so weak

I've used various but my original Rough Rider is fitted with Tamtech shocks

These work great / are adjustable but you need stronger springs even those on the Tamtech hop ups are too soft - I think I used the hard hop up springs for the front and some spurious springs for the rear.

And my Ford Ranger has Hornet shocks fitted front and rear again with uprated springs for the rear's ..

Both work well but if I had a choice for scale looks i'd go with the Tamtech ones. Mine have had some serious abuse and they don't leak and work a treat IMO

Any idea where I can purchase the tamtech shocks? I tried google to find them but didn't seem to get anywhere?

regards

Jak

The 3 Racing schock for the Tantech cars are a really good fit! and because they are a very slim diameter they look the part too. The standard springs are way too soft though, they really do barely hold the cars own weight. I think Dante77 was the first to find this solution and he advised me to go with new springs for Kyosho Tomahawk (Im sure thats the one ) I got these from Team CRP for about $7 and they do work. Ive not run the car yet in anger but they seem to be the ticket. The only problem is now I want a second set of these shocks for my Buggy Champ and cant get any anywhere. I ordered a set off ebay only to have the seller return my payment saying he could not supply as they had been recalled? If anyone knows where you can get them please let me know :blink:

i used normal alloy 55mm touring car shocks on the rear with weak springs, and GPM losi mini-t REAR shocks using the harder springs supplied (with extended eyelets from ebay) on the front of my sand scorcher, i can post pics if you like.

it works very very well!

Ive just had my 2010 Scorcher out for a blast with the 3Racing GB-01 dampers that I spoke about. What a blast!, only had it on tarmac and the grass lawn but its great. The dampers work a treat even when jumping it off the kerb! shame I cant get the dampers again but I have also found some other dampers on ebay so I may give them a try.

Ive just had my 2010 Scorcher out for a blast with the 3Racing GB-01 dampers that I spoke about. What a blast!, only had it on tarmac and the grass lawn but its great. The dampers work a treat even when jumping it off the kerb! shame I cant get the dampers again but I have also found some other dampers on ebay so I may give them a try.

Why can't you get the dampers again?

Finalyy got around to doing the fronts now as well.

img20012_05042010172741_1.jpg

and

img20012_05042010172741_2.jpg

This should give the buggy much better damping.

Paul

Nice, I really like the way you modded that kamtech body. I guess that's the only way to make it fit properly. Were you ever able to figure out exactly what kind of shocks those were? What are those extensions on your damper arms from? Did you have to do this because of the size of the dampers?

Nice, I really like the way you modded that kamtech body. I guess that's the only way to make it fit properly. Were you ever able to figure out exactly what kind of shocks those were? What are those extensions on your damper arms from? Did you have to do this because of the size of the dampers?

Hey, as far as I can tell the shocks are Traxxas which car I am not too sure sry :P

The purple spacers are known as shims they are from my HotBodies Cyclone touring car. I use them to keep the shock body away from the front upright. There are many shims available in all sorts of colours generally pertaining to the manufacturer

Xray - Orange

Tamiya - LightBlue

HPI/Hotbodies - Purple

Yokomo - Darker blue

and of course silver which is quite generic.

The suspension on this is pretty much sorted now. I will be filling the shocks with a light 25wt Oil and then thats it. I am also looking around for a good source of Carbon fiber sheet to make better shock supports.

I am also looking to add a rear stabiliser should get this sorted in a couple of months.

Paul

Cool, I really like the way it's all coming together.

I had the HPI shocks in my basket at Omnimodels and then just bailed at the last second. I wonder if I really need these, or if I built the stock shocks properly will it be enough? When all is said and done, this car will end up costing $500 to build and paint if I keep going at this rate. I'm already looking at getting the alloy wheel covers but know that it's really just decorative.