webstar

Tamiya Items Soon Destroyed By The Customs

Hi folks,

there were rumors on the nuremberg toy fair that tamiya europe will soon prevent buys from overseas.

They made a deal with the customs that all tamiya items not official imported will be destroyed !

Have anybody else heard about that ? Or was this just to scare people from buying in hong kong ?

regards,

webstar

That sounds like BS to me. I'd have thought the customs charges are in place to make buying in from Hong Kong less attractive, but I'm pretty sure Tamiya Europe wouldn't have any powers to destroy any unofficially imported goods. For a start wouldn't that mean opening every box that came into the country to see if it was a Tamiya Kit?

Like Steelrat said, it seems a little unlikely that Tamiya Europe or even Tamiya themselves has enough influence to do that. And how were they supposed to intercept packages that are filled in on the customs form with 'RC Parts' or 'Toy' - it could be anything.

And lastly, if it would all be manageable, I think it would be time to change brand or get out of Europe... :huh:

itchy beard is an appropriate phrase here . . . .

LOL - or Kenny Logger - remember that one?!

Chinny reckon was my favourite. Totally agree with all the above comments. Tracking all tamiya imports would be bowt as manageable as a chocolate teapot. Perhaps they were referring to people caught trying to import without paying import duties.

It's impossible to check all the packages from the out of Europe.

Anyway it's out of law.

Max

Come on That is BS!! we are talking about rc toys not drugs or guns. Then again we can still make our orders without boxes, there is always a way.

Wait, you mean to tell me it's been customs destroying my packages all along? I here I thought the shippers were to blame :)

-S

Chinny reckon was my favourite. ...

"Jimmy Hill" was the preferred expression of incredulity in my youth :)

Destroying stuff costs money. Charging taxes raises money.

So you have two choices, you cost taxpayers money, or you send a recipient a VAT invoice and you raise it.

You're HMR&C and those are your options. Which do you choose?

Customs can destroy goods at the request of the manufacturer it the ceased goods are fake or knock-offs. As for legit goods from oversea, local seller could inform Customs to watch for goods say if ship by Stellar or any other oversea source. It will be up to Customs to follow up or let it go since the amount may not worth their time.

You guys are probably right and it is just garbage.

I also don't know how they will be track the tamiya items, but my orders so far were all opened by the customs.

I could tell this because they use a marked tape to close the package. But maybe its just here in Germany this way :rolleyes:

Just wanted to know if somebody else heard about that.

I still will wait a couple of weeks before i place another order in HK just to be sure.

Regards,

webstar

tamiya are strictly against any uk traders buying tamiya stuff from hong kong (and other cheaper countries) rather than through the official UK distributers.

maybe the rumour stemmed from this, and got mixed up along the way, chinese whisper style.

they will only license shops to sell tamiya products, if they buy from their country's official importer.

i have a friend who is an official tamiya reseller, and he is always surprised that the kits i buy from stellamodels including postage, are less than he pays AT COST (depending on the £-$ exchange rate)

i would be quite annoyed if my parcels were opened by customs. can't they just scan them for suspiscious contents?

i think it would be a logistical nightmare to check EVERY box for a tamiya product, so it really cannot be true

Certainly no way near being enforced as my last days experience prooves...

Let me explain, a friend of mine in Japan sent me a 2010 SS, on the custom slip it said "TAMIYA RC TOY KIT". Clear enough then.

Watching the online tracking yesterday I saw the dreaded "AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES" + "AWAITING CUSTOM CHARGING".

But this morning guess what? It was out for delivery and arrived to me an hour ago with nothing to pay.

Lucky, lucky, lucky....

Jerome

I hope this was to be a funny thread :rolleyes: because it's ridiculous to think they would have that power & actually get away with it.

We have an "exclusive distributor" here in Canada but I've made many orders form overseas without them catching on I guess !

I don't understand what would possibly give HMRC the right to destroy something being sent to me that could be proved genuine, providing it has been accurately declared, even if I could have purchased it from an official importer in the UK. We're free to buy goods and import them from wherever we wish.

The price we pay (literaly) are the customs charges, and even then it almost always works out significantly cheaper (and often just as quick) as ordering from the UK.

Has there been a law introduced that stops me from sourcing something for myself?

@Chain Driven - I see you're from West Sussex! I'm driving down there this weekend from Scotland (8hr drive, ouch). What's good to do while i'm there? I'm heading to Cuckfield.

If you try a Google search you'll find that a rumor like this comes up every now and then for pretty much ever country on the plant that has a postal system for parts and equipment being ordered from overseas.

The issue that comes up is it is perfectly legal for me to mail my toy cars, parts, and tools to Japan, or any other country, compete in a few races, and then send it back to myself in my home country. There is no way for any postal agency to determine if my package is legal or not, so they cannot take any extreme action or risk creating a mess for themselves.

This is entirely different from trying to send contraband, which is illegal no matter what (i.e. illegal drugs such as heroin.) This is what is known as a "black market", v.s. the "gray market" for kits and parts coming out of Hong Kong. I have a feeling that someone read an article about a clearly illegal package being destroyed and their over active imagination got working and the rumor was revived.

I think the confusion comes from the treatment of copied products found illegaly imported, such as copied Levi's and Rolexes and such...they are destroyed but they are destroyed because they are counterfeit, not privatley imported...

Though IIRC, there is a law in the EU to reduce and abolish "double import" or something like that, to strengthen the power of the "appointed" importer, I know that german and polish Coke has more or less vanished since that indroduced that law (cheap 2l bottles of Coke was often german or polish here in Sweden), on the other hand, one of the main decrees of EU is free movment of people and goods within the EU...

Although I still think it isn't true about Tamiya parts and kits being destroyed by customs, I noticed the disturbing fact that my order from RCMart hasn't had any update on it's tracking since the 8th of February, it says 'Arrival at border point of destination country,' so I assume it's in customs. I believe the Dutch customs are allowed to hold a package for up to 8 weeks. It's absolutely ridiculous that the customs keep an item that long - I mean, they don't check nearly every item, and it's just a question of looking on the small paper which tells the customs what's inside and looking in a price table. When opening it up, you take 10 minutes more for a package. I'm not saying that the people at customs don't do their best, but the management could be done just as well by some toddler, it's really screwed up in my opinion! ;)

I know this may all be a little off topic, so I hope that doesn't annoy anyone, but I really want to know where my package is and what's taking them so long. So should I give them a call, or my seller/sender, or doesn't that matter to them? And maybe anyone happens to know the telephone number of the Dutch customs? (as a few months ago I tried to find it for my Traxxas that got caught in customs, but no website could clearly point out to me what number I should be calling). :)

Although I still think it isn't true about Tamiya parts and kits being destroyed by customs, I noticed the disturbing fact that my order from RCMart hasn't had any update on it's tracking since the 8th of February, it says 'Arrival at border point of destination country,' so I assume it's in customs. I believe the Dutch customs are allowed to hold a package for up to 8 weeks. It's absolutely ridiculous that the customs keep an item that long - I mean, they don't check nearly every item, and it's just a question of looking on the small paper which tells the customs what's inside and looking in a price table. When opening it up, you take 10 minutes more for a package. I'm not saying that the people at customs don't do their best, but the management could be done just as well by some toddler, it's really screwed up in my opinion! :P

I know this may all be a little off topic, so I hope that doesn't annoy anyone, but I really want to know where my package is and what's taking them so long. So should I give them a call, or my seller/sender, or doesn't that matter to them? And maybe anyone happens to know the telephone number of the Dutch customs? (as a few months ago I tried to find it for my Traxxas that got caught in customs, but no website could clearly point out to me what number I should be calling). :)

Have you tried phoning TNT Post's business service desk (020 5873492)? Apparently they give better service than the regular service desk... ;)

Have you tried phoning TNT Post's business service desk (020 5873492)? Apparently they give better service than the regular service desk... :)

Thanks, I will give it a try immediately on monday... ;) It's now been more than 6 weeks since it was posted, and I really need the parts for a project of mine...

Anyhow, now something more on-topic :P I think there are some interesting posts in this topic regarding counterfeit items. I was wondering, are the (probably Chinese?) clones of the Tamiya TRF415 or 416 and the TL01 clones seen as counterfeit Tamiya's or not?

Tamiya can ask HMRC to destroy goods which they haven't licensed to be sold in a given territory in much the same way that producers of computer games and the music industry has in the past. We don't live in quite the free market that we would like to believe. If Tamiya has licenced a certain product to only be sold in a certain country at a certain point in time through an official import through a licensed distributor then they are quite within their rights to attempt to stop "grey" imports.

I don't like it, but it has been done in the past with allsorts of different retail products in an attempt to engineer supply and demand to keep a price point artificially high.