Kenny G

Who Doesn't Love The Cc01 Fj40?

Because a scale/crawler build can get so expensive I just wanted to build something "fun". Sometimes I stress out too much over my builds so I just wanted to build something and not worry about have a super brushless setup, fancy radio, or super aluminum etc. My goal was to get a new kit and build it with all new parts/scale bits under $300. At the same time use only new parts.

The whole point of this build is just to have fun and smiles.

To start I got a CC01 LandCruiser and built it totally stock with the exception of bearings and wheels/tires and some other scale bits. I'm using the stock motor, ESC, and LED unit. The radio is a plain-jane Futaba MS

I Painted the grill and the wheels gloss white. The body is painted Pactra 'Bright Red'. Cutting, painting, and applying stickers was a nightmare! You can see where I messed up

DSCN1350.jpg

The wheels are HPI Vintage stock car 0 offset. The wheels are High Lift, they fill in much better that the stock ones

DSCN1351.jpg

I spliced in and mounted a on-off switch for the TLU-01 so I could turn it on and off without removing the body.

DSCN1354.jpg

I made spare tire mount out of an old Traxxas Rustler part. I have a 3Racing winch and steel rack coming in the mail. I think Tamiya had a winch in mind when they made the new scale bumper, it's the perfect perch.

DSCN1358.jpg

DSCN1359.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

My messy work bench.

I'm only up to $260

I took it for a spin and I seem to be getting a lot of interference. When it gets about 15 feet away the truck wants to bolt! It zigs and zags, stops and goes, then flies off in reverse. Is this bucause I have the antenna laced through the body posts?

DSCN1384.jpg

Yeah, that's a ton of wires...

The "without fugly push bar" pic.

DSCN1383.jpg

So they must have run out of metal in china and now they are using paper mache to manufacture little metal hooks 'because the one that came w/ the winch literally crumbled to nothing when I touched it. To much lead, maybe SARS :) ? Who knows? Seriously though, I love this winch.

You've got a really nice looking FJ40 there. The wheels really look great, made me think of getting those rims too, if you dont mind. My Fj40 used to be a touareg and i've been trailing it, crawling it and bashing it and it just keeps on going!

CC-01' s are great fun. :)

Here's mine.

post-30952-1267595111_thumb.jpg

Looks waaaaaay better without the bumper.

This is one of my favorite Tamiya chassis. I already have two, and I have a feeling they're going to multiply... I like the idea of a Lexan body for durability and lower CG, but I think I'd go for the Unimog. Has that "ugly duckling" vibe I like.

I took it for a spin and I seem to be getting a lot of interference. When it gets about 15 feet away the truck wants to bolt! It zigs and zags, stops and goes, then flies off in reverse. Is this bucause I have the antenna laced through the body posts?

I would say so yes - I have had similar problems like this in the past - its an ok way to do it if you close to it all the time but not if you want decent range.

hi

i had the same with mine,,,,i was the winch esc interferring with the motor esc

disconnect it and try it just with the motor esc

:rolleyes: Can't say I like it but also can't say I hate it. I really like the way yours look. The wheels looks really great, the F350 tyres are not the greatest but do offer great bang for your bucks if and when you do use it.

Cheers

Henk :D

i love it. but i wished they made a hardbody version also.

cut off that front brick for better clearance

Who Doesn't Love The Cc01 Fj40?

Me. :rolleyes:

But I like race cars...