DJ NEW

Newbie Required Help Please !

Hi this is my 1st post - so be gentle please,

I have recently discovered my Tamiya Blackfoot still boxed in my parents loft which I purchased back in 1990.Although its in very good condition it seems to have a slight fault.Although it runs well when off ground ,when attempting to pull away from a standing start its very juddery,but if placed on the floor whilst already running its like a rocket.

I would love to get it working correctly, what do you think could be wrong ?

I cant remember it having the fault when I last used it - but it was around 20 years ago so I could be mistaken.

Any help would be appricated, Darren

Hello Darren,

I'm still classed as a newbie, only been on here since January..... you should be pleasently surprised at how helpful everyone is. I've found lots of help and advice.

I can remember having a problem like that years ago, although I've never owned a Blackfoot, unfortunately I can't remember what the actual problem was.

I think it was just down to me building everytning a little too tight in the gearbox. Its obviously just under strain when the problem happens, I'm thinking take apart and re grease the gearbox.

Hope this helps, but please don't shoot me if I'm wrong.... :o

thanks

Steve

Darren I agree with Steve. A good cleanup should be done as the grease can be really sticky or like a hard packed type of pretty hard "Prestik", sticky putty, or what ever it's called by you guys. That can add a lot of strain for the motor to get the gearbox going if it's sticking.

Hope it helps and enjoy the truck, one of the better ones.

Henk :o

Oh and a big thank you for posting your names underneath your comments. Nice to be able to reply to a name, rather than a "wonder what his name is post."

Hello Steve ,

I thought also that it is gearbox related.I have stripped in down but everything seems to be ok with no obvious signs of wear,It doesnt seem to be too tight ( although ive no experiance to compare it to ), it still has some of the white grease in the gearbox - how much should be there ?

Darren

Welcome Darren! :o

Another thing that sprung to my mind: Maybe the commutator of the motor is oxydised over the years.

Just let it run on idle for some time. I also think a good relube is the thing to do.

Oh, another thing: Which motor do you use, how many teeth has the motor pinion and are you using the mechanical speed controller?

Cheers

Christian

Hello Steve ,

I thought also that it is gearbox related.I have stripped in down but everything seems to be ok with no obvious signs of wear,It doesnt seem to be too tight ( although ive no experiance to compare it to ), it still has some of the white grease in the gearbox - how much should be there ?

Darren

As long as the grease is still very smooth, not lumpy or gloopy (is that a word?) there should be a generous amount.. Put the gearbox back together, do not engage the motor/Pinion gear i.e disengage the motor. Put the truck on the floor, push down a little from the top, exerting some resistance, then start to push off from a standing start. If all gears and wheelsmove off freely, the problem could well be the motor.

To test the motor, re-engage to gearbox, hold the truck off the floor put some resistance against the wheels and very very slowly push the throttle forward, see if you feel judder, your probably notice straight away where its coming from...

hope this may help...

Steve,

I`m sure you are right - its the gearbox grease required, when I stripped it down last night it had a minimal amount of a white grease present ,I will buy some at the weekend to repack it & rebuild it - testing as you described, thanks again, Darren

Steve,

I`m sure you are right - its the gearbox grease required, when I stripped it down last night it had a minimal amount of a white grease present ,I will buy some at the weekend to repack it & rebuild it - testing as you described, thanks again, Darren

I hope it works and you can re-live some 20 year-old memories...

Steve

Better still spend all your money on creating some nice new 40 year old ones :o

A year ago when I was getting my aged Monster Beetle running again as a "nice little project" I came here for some tips. Now I have 10 full cars, 3 projects on the go and a living room that looks more like a garage :unsure:

Welcome to the site and the hobby Darren, you're going to get addicted quite quickly :unsure: