Tamiyamandan

Vintage Re-release Question....

Personally, I hope Tamiya starts migrating away from the re-releases and focuses more on producing new and innovative models like they once did. They've tried hard to compete with 2wd and 4wd offerings from Associated, BJ Concepts, Yokomo, Team Durango, and the like, but what did the TRF really create? Variations on a theme. The 201, 501, and 502 were all late to the dinner party and they all copies from previous designs. They have no competitive micro-series (1/16, 1/18th scale) like the LRP Shark, or micro offerings from Associated and Losi. Where are the short course stadium trucks, and how could they let HPI just dominate the back yard truck basher scene? I can appreciate the scale looks and performance of the Tamiya rock crawlers, but why not introduce something to compete against the likes of Axial Racing? Of course Tamiya have the 3 speeds, semi trucks, and tanks, but they really are niche products.

But what happened to Tamiya innovation on their mainstream products? Aside from re-re's, what is Tamiya doing to gain new audiences? What does Tamiya have in the pipeline to entice us after they (hypothetically speaking) release the Wild One, Avante, Fox, 959, and Bruiser, etc?

Personally, I hope Tamiya starts migrating away from the re-releases and focuses more on producing new and innovative models like they once did. They've tried hard to compete with 2wd and 4wd offerings from Associated, BJ Concepts, Yokomo, Team Durango, and the like, but what did the TRF really create? Variations on a theme. The 201, 501, and 502 were all late to the dinner party and they all copies from previous designs. They have no competitive micro-series (1/16, 1/18th scale) like the LRP Shark, or micro offerings from Associated and Losi. Where are the short course stadium trucks, and how could they let HPI just dominate the back yard truck basher scene? I can appreciate the scale looks and performance of the Tamiya rock crawlers, but why not introduce something to compete against the likes of Axial Racing? Of course Tamiya have the 3 speeds, semi trucks, and tanks, but they really are niche products.

But what happened to Tamiya innovation on their mainstream products? Aside from re-re's, what is Tamiya doing to gain new audiences? What does Tamiya have in the pipeline to entice us after they (hypothetically speaking) release the Wild One, Avante, Fox, 959, and Bruiser, etc?

Great point. I'm 42, and I'd wager that most Tamiya club members buying these re-re's are near the same age. It's because Tamiya is catering to our youth.

But what are they going to do for the next generation? They should release new cars that all the kids are playing on PS3/XBOX these days...

Cheers,

Skottoman

i like the rere's, but as Top Force Racer said, i too would like to see some new Tamiya micro stuff.

the old 1/24 tamtech cars are awesome. how about a 1/24 buggy? that would rule! or even a 1/36!!

and, it's HIGH TIME they did RC motorbikes.

in the meantime though, i wouldn't mind a super champ :)

TRF Tamtechs...now there's an idea! Seriously though, I can totally appreciate what Tamiya did (and have done) for touring cars and scale realism. I also appreciated how Tamiya once lit a fire under other company's butts. Sure, an Optima could beat a Hotshot, but it was the Hotshot that made Kyosho realize that they had to do something! I also realize that some of their most ingenious designs (Avante, 959) were poor sellers at their time of introduction, and my rant runs deeper than Tamiya. Don't you guys remember when R/C was a true hobby? When you went to the hobby shop to talk and pick up sheet metal, metal rods, and airplane ball links to fabricate your own stabilizer bars?! Everyone who wants a re-re Monster Beetle or Fox or whatever should understand that all Tamiya really should do is re-re the bodysets and let the hobbyist buy a re-re Hotshot or Frog and make their own Monster Beetle and Fox. This should please both collectors and bashers. My point is that somewhere along the way, we lost a bit of ingenuity in our hobby. Sometimes it seems that the only thing that truly distinguishes a vehicle from another are their paint jobs.

And think about it...how sad is it when we're more excited about what Tamiya is going to re-re, rather than what 'new' product are they going to introduce? Make no mistake, I'll be the first to buy a re-re Avante, 959, Bruiser, etc...but I have to ask, "where are our future classics?!" Please tell me it's not based on a DT-02 ><

Gimme the Hilux or Blazing Blazer!!! :)

If only the other brands could do Re-releases as well!!! It's awesome!!!

Would anybody be so kind as to list the full re-release list so far?

It started with these three I think ;-

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=419

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=417

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=4

The latter one is a link to the original, the re-release version is not on TC's list as far as I can see. I bought the re-re XR311. It's in my long disused showroom ;-

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?c...79&sid=5475

The Gepard that I have is actually technically a re-release, one advantage is that the "road tyres" are not dried out and rotted and split. If you want to know any other details, ask me.

The Subaru Brat and Mountaineer body got re-released before the Brat re-re kit was brought out.

There's also the ;-

Manta Ray

Frog (2005)

Top Force

Sand Blitzer (Sand Scorcher 2010)

Rough Rider (Buggy Champ)

Grass Hopper

Hornet

Holiday Buggy (don't start me on that one LOL)

HotShot

Boomerang

...that's all I can think of for the moment (been away a while, bit rusty on the memory side LOL)

By all means feel free to correct and add to LOL

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Tamiya are making great products. They won't make over engineered things anymore as they have got better at design. There shells are still nice, the cars handle well so be grateful. Agreed they need a short course truck, and also a monster truck. However their range is stronger than ever with great 2wd and 4wd buggies, all sorts of good onroad cars, a decent entry level rock crawler, scaler xc chassis cars etc etc

The rereleases are great for nostalgia so they are covering that niche again.

Appreciate the new, enjoy the old and use any other affection for the hobby to build new hybrids etc

To those who keep throwing in the comment about Tamiya having destroyed molds etc it really is a non argument. The cost of tooling new molds nowadays would be less than a 1/10 of what it used to be. Tamiya will have already invested heavily in 3D scanning, rapid prototyping, multiaxis cnc machining etc. To develop molds to create identical components to the originals and new and improved ones is truly a piece of cake and done in record time. I know this as I worked for a company that had this kind of equipment/machinery.

James

TRF Tamtechs...now there's an idea! Seriously though, I can totally appreciate what Tamiya did (and have done) for touring cars and scale realism. I also appreciated how Tamiya once lit a fire under other company's butts. Sure, an Optima could beat a Hotshot, but it was the Hotshot that made Kyosho realize that they had to do something! I also realize that some of their most ingenious designs (Avante, 959) were poor sellers at their time of introduction, and my rant runs deeper than Tamiya. Don't you guys remember when R/C was a true hobby? When you went to the hobby shop to talk and pick up sheet metal, metal rods, and airplane ball links to fabricate your own stabilizer bars?! Everyone who wants a re-re Monster Beetle or Fox or whatever should understand that all Tamiya really should do is re-re the bodysets and let the hobbyist buy a re-re Hotshot or Frog and make their own Monster Beetle and Fox. This should please both collectors and bashers. My point is that somewhere along the way, we lost a bit of ingenuity in our hobby. Sometimes it seems that the only thing that truly distinguishes a vehicle from another are their paint jobs.

And think about it...how sad is it when we're more excited about what Tamiya is going to re-re, rather than what 'new' product are they going to introduce? Make no mistake, I'll be the first to buy a re-re Avante, 959, Bruiser, etc...but I have to ask, "where are our future classics?!" Please tell me it's not based on a DT-02 ><

Couldn't agree with you more about the lack of ingenuity in the hobby. When I was going to hobby shops in the 80s you never saw pre built models from tamiya, the whole point was that you had to build it yourself. Even some kits now come with pre-assembled gearboxes, etc. I suspect that the future classics will be the 'niche' products, such as the Hi-Lifts, tanks, & trucks. These sell in lower numbers, so will have less availability when they stop being made. Also I suspect they are not bashed to death or poorly built as some buggies are. I think the other future classics will be the TXT-1 and the Juggernaut2. Probably more the txt-1 due to it's superior handling. If tamiya want to make future classics they need to make their buggies different from other offerings and get back to making vehicles that look like real world vehicles. As others have pointed out, the vintage tamiya cars were never really competitive against the likes of Kyosho and schumachers offerings, but still sold in vast numbers because people liked the look of them and they were low maintenance compared with belt and chain driven 4wd buggies

Here's some more ideas for future classics:

For the buggies: Ford F150 with semi scale chassis, rigid axles, and 4wd, with sand blaster 915s all round. (Not a 3 speed, geared to go like stink;) )

For On Road :1977 Trans Am on 2wd road car chassis with powerful brushless motor as standard.(Or what about a nice aston martin ???)

For scale RC : County tractor

For Tanks : Prototype Germain E100

For big wheel : 4x4 Lunch box

I follow RCTVLIVE on Facebook, and in one of their latest posts they are talking about a possible re release of the 58059 Porsche 959. "We were told they are looking into it.....and need to see if the molds are still good." I replied with a "Ha-ha! Who told you that?", and a few minutes later they said: "I don't see them paying to make new molds....but who knows. We have an insider that keeps us in the know".

I think it's a bit late for a April 1th joke, so now I don't know what to believe. Tamiya have already done the "unthinkable" re release of the SS......

When I first read this comment 6 months ago I thought it was probably nonsense...but the forthcoming Avante re-re has changed my opinion of that. The 959 has a similar style of chassis so I do actually believe what these RCTV guys say. They do seem pretty credible and were one of the 1st to reveal the Scorcher re-release.

God, I'd love to see the 959 come back though. Never in a million years did I think it would happen but the re-release Avante has changed the game. Bruiser, Hilux, 959, Egress....they are all on the cards now IMO.

Sand Blitzer (Sand Scorcher 2010)

Meeoooooww!! ;)

Put those claws away Alistair. Your never gonna get over those arch changes are ya? :lol:

Great point. I'm 42, and I'd wager that most Tamiya club members buying these re-re's are near the same age. It's because Tamiya is catering to our youth.

But what are they going to do for the next generation? They should release new cars that all the kids are playing on PS3/XBOX these days...

Cheers,

Skottoman

+1 :-)

Iam also in the 40's and I really enjoy the re-re's and it feel good to build and run a vintage Car without the fear of spareparts and high prices,,But as I said in the past Tamiya should start to creat models that in 30years from now "like today the SS ,RR etc" will be a car to remember and pray for Tamiya to re-release it!

Even if Iam at this age and like the vintage cars I now wish to see a revolutionary idea ,something exotic,that will be the new car of our dreams .I can not accept that Avante ,even if I like it very much and I have 5 of them ,is the solution for a high-tech vintage buggy to spend the 600usd...!!!!

With a price of 600usd and all the means they are using to reproduce Avante again was enough to create a state of the Art new high-tech Buggy.I thing they just do not have the guts to do it anymore ..:-( No more evo ideas from Tamiya... Thats what I feel is all about...lack of original ideas....

Iam sorry to say that ,and I am a fanatic Tamiya collector if you look at my showroom,but I can not accept that is all about money.To have an old idea and cash it as you please just looks not so smart ,at least to my eyes..

It was all about money 30years ago but this didnt stop Tamiya to create the legasy he has today.

What he is doing now is to create a big 'NOTHING' for the future to come. I can only see that in 30 years and if I am alive I will see a 60years anniv. re-release of the Sand Scorcher. ;)

Its pitty...

Thats how I feel and only my personal view for the re-re mania. :-)

Cheers

Thanos

Couldn't agree with you more about the lack of ingenuity in the hobby. When I was going to hobby shops in the 80s you never saw pre built models from tamiya, the whole point was that you had to build it yourself. Even some kits now come with pre-assembled gearboxes, etc. I suspect that the future classics will be the 'niche' products, such as the Hi-Lifts, tanks, & trucks. These sell in lower numbers, so will have less availability when they stop being made. Also I suspect they are not bashed to death or poorly built as some buggies are. I think the other future classics will be the TXT-1 and the Juggernaut2. Probably more the txt-1 due to it's superior handling. If tamiya want to make future classics they need to make their buggies different from other offerings and get back to making vehicles that look like real world vehicles. As others have pointed out, the vintage tamiya cars were never really competitive against the likes of Kyosho and schumachers offerings, but still sold in vast numbers because people liked the look of them and they were low maintenance compared with belt and chain driven 4wd buggies

Now that's what I call a good post. Yes I feel the buggy side of the RC hobby (which was huge in the 1980's) has lost a lot in recent years as things get more and more generic and removed from 1:1 buggies, and I agree that there was just something about the look of the Tamiya buggies that "clicked" with people and that's partly why they sold a lot more than other brands, the Tamiya buggies had personality.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

To those who keep throwing in the comment about Tamiya having destroyed molds etc it really is a non argument. The cost of tooling new molds nowadays would be less than a 1/10 of what it used to be. Tamiya will have already invested heavily in 3D scanning, rapid prototyping, multiaxis cnc machining etc. To develop molds to create identical components to the originals and new and improved ones is truly a piece of cake and done in record time. I know this as I worked for a company that had this kind of equipment/machinery.

James

If it really is as low cost as you say then how did the Sand Scorcher 2010 get brought out with that Blitzer Beetle body ? I can't forgive Tamiya for that.

LOL

ARG

Meeoooooww!! ;)

Put those claws away Alistair. Your never gonna get over those arch changes are ya? ;)

:lol: Very true.

Sorry but it tortures me every time I see it :o And to think I was going to buy lots of loverly NIB body box sets... and then I couldn't when I found out about the changes. I am still angry with them ;)

Oh well at least I have some originals ;) Just finishing my Frog off after a long absence so maybe it's SS1979 next on the build it list.

Cheers,

ARG

When I first read this comment 6 months ago I thought it was probably nonsense...but the forthcoming Avante re-re has changed my opinion of that. The 959 has a similar style of chassis so I do actually believe what these RCTV guys say. They do seem pretty credible and were one of the 1st to reveal the Scorcher re-release.

God, I'd love to see the 959 come back though. Never in a million years did I think it would happen but the re-release Avante has changed the game. Bruiser, Hilux, 959, Egress....they are all on the cards now IMO.

Avante re-release?! :lol: Didn't see that coming! Wow the things you miss when you're playing retro video games LOL. OK what's the scoop on it then? Let me guess, changed decals and all plastic parts with a Keen Hawk body? Just kidding (I hope ;) ) ?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Ha! I was right! Fumito Taki is on the left of the thumbnail image, as a charicature, in the top video on Tamiyablog.com (where the official vintage video for the Avante is below it) and he is featured sitting on the right in the video.

Fumito was the designer of the Avante and was very proud of it. He did recognise it's short comings though in an interview (grudgingly it seemed LOL).

However remember that he also gave us the Sand Scorcher (1979) so I can forgive him :lol:

I wish I could tell what he's saying but I can't speak Japanese. Also wish they would upload the original video with the USA narration on it in addition to the one that they have already done with the Japanese narration. Also a small side point : the video needs DE-INTERLACING before resizing and uploading. Pity they don't know things like this. Hence the comb artifacts in the video ;)

Cheers,

Alistair G.