THE HP FREAK

Tamiya "bigwig" (1986)

its because of the way you linked to your photos.

take out everything after the .jpg

the HPIM1404.jpg

HPIM1407.jpg

HI!... Thanks TAMIYADAN! I think I got it now. This is the only site of 10 that I'm on that my usual way of posting pics doesn't work. Weird.

I have fond memories of the Big "pig" as it was aptly named, my little bro's best mate got one for racing with, he was quite keen on it, after severla race meets his parents realised he was actually quite good on the sticks and quite competative even with his heavy buggy lol, so his parents decided to buy him the top car at the time (the Turbo Optima) he pretty much got what he wanted as he was an only child and his parents were quite old (i think they must have been like 45 when he was born as he had older siblings almost the same age as my parents!).

Went with him a few times as his "Pit crew", used to change his tyres and put batteries on charge while he fettled the bigwig, once he got the Turbo Optima I lost interest as it was quite boring watching him win pretty much every race lol.

That was a little cruel Wandy, he put a lot of work into it!

I do like this quote from the website though:

"WARNING! This site contains some opinions and comments that you may not agree with. We encourage discussion and sharing of opinion and it would appear that some people find this difficult to deal with. My advice to persons of this persuasion is to close your browser window and view a different web site. If on the other hand you like a good giggle and can accept opinions other than your own then please read on .... "

How many times have I felt like this....

Nice work, I remember making 'ugly' alu bumpers for my Boomerang and adding extra shocks to it, live the childhood dream, just with a bigger wallet and your mum not yelling in your ear...

P.

That was a little cruel Wandy, he put a lot of work into it!

I do like this quote from the website though:

"WARNING! This site contains some opinions and comments that you may not agree with. We encourage discussion and sharing of opinion and it would appear that some people find this difficult to deal with. My advice to persons of this persuasion is to close your browser window and view a different web site. If on the other hand you like a good giggle and can accept opinions other than your own then please read on .... "

How many times have I felt like this....

Nice work, I remember making 'ugly' alu bumpers for my Boomerang and adding extra shocks to it, live the childhood dream, just with a bigger wallet and your mum not yelling in your ear...

P.

It's a tricky one this. I did think about what I was about to say before I posted the comment, because "dissing" someone's efforts is not the done thing on TC and to most extents I agree with that policy. However in this case I felt it had to be said. At the end of the day when I see something that wows me in a positive way I will always make comments to suit, and I firmly believe that if I view something that I believe to be at the opposite end of the spectrum then I should be able to make a proportional comment about that too.

As I said in the earlier post, I really hoped that the guy would not be offended. I'm not looking to dishearten the guy or assume that he generally has no modelling taste or skills but I have to say that in this particular case I maintain my position : that Bigwig is a monster. No doubt I'll get red arrowed for saying it but sometimes, just sometimes, in my opinion TC can be a little bit twee.

I can understand and accept the flak I might get for this, after all there is a fine line between debate, contructive criticism and plain old insults but I honestly dont feel I crossed that line. The manner in which the car has been butchered meant that I felt I had to make the Barryboys comment and it was honestly just meant to be light hearted.

ah yes the barryboys site

there are some funny cars on there, but there are also a lot of cars that people are just "doing up" in their own way.

some of the cars deserve flaming, but a lot of the time they are just self righteous members pointing and laughing at anything that isn't some dullarama 4 door family hatch (see the member's rides section)

I took it as such :lol:

Hence the smile. I am sure he isn't too offended, by his comments it seems he took it well.

Paul.

It's a tricky one this. I did think about what I was about to say before I posted the comment, because "dissing" someone's efforts is not the done thing on TC and to most extents I agree with that policy. However in this case I felt it had to be said. At the end of the day when I see something that wows me in a positive way I will always make comments to suit, and I firmly believe that if I view something that I believe to be at the opposite end of the spectrum then I should be able to make a proportional comment about that too.

As I said in the earlier post, I really hoped that the guy would not be offended. I'm not looking to dishearten the guy or assume that he generally has no modelling taste or skills but I have to say that in this particular case I maintain my position : that Bigwig is a monster. No doubt I'll get red arrowed for saying it but sometimes, just sometimes, in my opinion TC can be a little bit twee.

I can understand and accept the flak I might get for this, after all there is a fine line between debate, contructive criticism and plain old insults but I honestly dont feel I crossed that line. The manner in which the car has been butchered meant that I felt I had to make the Barryboys comment and it was honestly just meant to be light hearted.

HI!... Well your opinion is just that, yours. Imo you have no taste. The BIGWIG is not butchered in any way at all. It was improved over all the faults it had in stock trim. It's stronger, faster, more durable and is the same weight as it was stock. Its funny that I have posted this build up on at least 7 other forums and have had nothing but positive feedback on it. Your the 1st to give negative. There probably is other people out there that don't like it it too but why don't you do what they did, and not post at all.

HI!... Well your opinion is just that, yours. Imo you have no taste. The BIGWIG is not butchered in any way at all. It was improved over all the faults it had in stock trim. It's stronger, faster, more durable and is the same weight as it was stock. Its funny that I have posted this build up on at least 7 other forums and have had nothing but positive feedback on it. Your the 1st to give negative. There probably is other people out there that don't like it it too but why don't you do what they did, and not post at all.

Nope, he's untouchable. He used the "No offense, but <something obviously offensive>" trick.

The front spoiler is to big, other than that I think it's cool!

The front spoiler is to big, other than that I think it's cool!

HI!... JFYI the front bumper is a exact duplicate of the stock BIGWIG bumper except for the reinforcement on the very bottom where the original plastic BIGWIG bumpers always break.

HI!... Well your opinion is just that, yours. Imo you have no taste.

I have absolutely no problem with that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like the look of your car. Infact in many areas of discussion away from R/C I have a habit of going against the flow of popular opinion but that's a different subject altogether. :P

The BIGWIG is not butchered in any way at all. It was improved over all the faults it had in stock trim. It's stronger, faster, more durable and is the same weight as it was stock.

No doubt at all that you may have improved the technical performance of the car but my criticism of it was in it's aesthetic appeal. One of the main elements that seperate Tamiya fans from those of other manufacturers is their acceptance and appreciation for the fact that many of the Tamiya cars may lack the technological prowess of their rivals but the most important aspect, ie the looks and scale appearence, blow all of the other manufacturer's efforts out of the water. A common criticism of modern R/C cars from many on this club is that aesthetic appeal has been abandoned to accomodate track performance. I am one of those people. My number 1 point of interest in R/C vehicles is looks which is why I felt the need to make comment on your car.

There probably is other people out there that don't like it it too but why don't you do what they did, and not post at all.

The world would be a much more dangerous place if people felt it best to keep quiet about something they disagreed with or did not like. All opinions are valid as long as they are offered subjectively.

Nope, he's untouchable. He used the "No offense, but <something obviously offensive>" trick.

With respect, that is nonsense. It's an unfortunate fact of life that when someone is on the receiving end of something that they perceive to be a negative comment on themselves or something they have done they will feel an initial sense of offence. That's why I made the "no offence" comment....ie Please do not take this personally, the following criticism is meant to go no further than that of your car, but I think that Bigwig is ugly.

I have absolutely no problem with that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like the look of your car. In fact in many areas of discussion away from R/C I have a habit of going against the flow of popular opinion but that's a different subject altogether. :P

No doubt at all that you may have improved the technical performance of the car but my criticism of it was in it's aesthetic appeal. One of the main elements that separate Tamiya fans from those of other manufacturers is their acceptance and appreciation for the fact that many of the Tamiya cars may lack the technological prowess of their rivals but the most important aspect, ie the looks and scale appearance, blow all of the other manufacturer's efforts out of the water. A common criticism of modern R/C cars from many on this club is that aesthetic appeal has been abandoned to accommodate track performance. I am one of those people. My number 1 point of interest in R/C vehicles is looks which is why I felt the need to make comment on your car.

The world would be a much more dangerous place if people felt it best to keep quiet about something they disagreed with or did not like. All opinions are valid as long as they are offered subjectively.

HI!... Well I have 3 BIGWIGS all together. One is completely stock the way it came back in 1986. The other has updated shocks, ESC and brushless motor. Then this one is severely modded for racing. I got sick of buying chassis for the BIGWIG. They break way too easy. I went through 15 of them in 4 months. Their just too brittle. That's why I made the custom aluminum chassis. Problem solved. I like the looks of RC's too but when it comes too racing, I'd rather have the ugly car the out performs everyone than the pretty car that comes in last..........

but I think that Bigwig is ugly.[/i]

HI!... Then don't look at it! Problem solved.......Thanks for coming out. Bye, bye......

HI!... Well I have 3 BIGWIGS all together. One is completely stock the way it came back in 1986. The other has updated shocks, ESC and brushless motor. Then this one is severely modded for racing. I got sick of buying chassis for the BIGWIG. They break way too easy. I went through 15 of them in 4 months. Their just too brittle. That's why I made the custom aluminum chassis. Problem solved. I like the looks of RC's too but when it comes too racing, I'd rather have the ugly car the out performs everyone than the pretty car that comes in last..........

Again, fair enough & good for you. I myself have a Bigwig that I "modded" slightly by changing the wheels and plan to uprate the shocks. My reasoning for doing it is purely aesthetic though. I would never change parts on my cars if they made them look worse. Not even for the track. I am a modeller first & foremost and a driver a distant second. Sticking my neck out here somewhat but I think the majority of members on this club are the same.

By the way I totally agree with you on the stock performance of the Bigwig. It's a woefully weak car in standard form.

HI!... Then don't look at it! Problem solved.......Thanks for coming out. Bye, bye......

Please see the comment that I made below....

The world would be a much more dangerous place if people felt it best to keep quiet about something they disagreed with or did not like.

...and exchange the words "keep quiet about" with "look away from".

Please see the comment that I made below....

...and exchange the words "keep quiet about" with "look away from".

HI!... Well my RC's are used. They get beat up, broken, repaired. If I wanted a shelf queen, I would buy a picture, not the actual car...... IMO.

HI!... Well my RC's are used. They get beat up, broken, repaired. If I wanted a shelf queen, I would buy a picture, not the actual car...... IMO.

Now there is a comment that may well stimulate a lot of debate on this forum!

The amount of content on Tamiya Club would diminsh tenfold if most people shared your opinion. :P

Now there is a comment that may well stimulate a lot of debate on this forum!

The amount of content on Tamiya Club would diminsh tenfold if most people shared your opinion. :P

HI!... That might be a good thing........