turbowop

Fixed Up Some Origina Sand Supers

I picked these old Javelin wheels/tires up from Ebay a couple weeks ago. Tires had cracks and the chrome on the wheels was worn. Won the auction for only $6.50. I was curious to see if tire glue could work to somewhat restore these old tires and sure enough, it did. These things had some pretty bad cracking all over them and after dome tedious work with CA, the cracks are only noticeable if you are actually looking for them. The glue seems to be holding up rather well also, as I can flex the tires a lot and the cracks don't open back up. Painting the lettering white makes them even less noticeable. I then stripped the wheels of the remaining chrome and painted them white.

Also, I set this car up with some electronics and a motor. An old Circus Hobbies 2channel JR radio system, a Novak T-4 ESC and a LeMans 360PT. It's like the 1980's all over again. :lol:

944ba6acdd9ac7f.jpg

944ba6acddc84d3.jpg

944ba6acde2b277.jpg

944ba6acde5faf6.jpg

944ba6aeed77f1e.jpg

944ba6aeedaa0f9.jpg

Nice Job, a few people have bought NIP Javelin wheels from and stripped the chrome so they get nice new white wheels for their optimas, sacriledge but it works.

Nice job! What kind of paint do you paint the tire lettering with? I want to do some tire lettering but I don't want it flaking off. It will be for a shelfer though.

What is the method for removing the chrome off Javelin wheels? Are there chemicals that remove it easily without damaging the plastic? Painting tips? I got a ton of projects I've been sitting on. Seeing these photos provide inspiration.

I use a Sharpie ultra fine white oil-based paint pen to do the lettering. Try it on an old tire to get the hang of it then do your good tires. It's pretty easy.

I soak the wheels in bleach to rid the chrome as per some directions I found on another modeling website years ago. After an hour or so it required an old toothbrush to get it all off, but it wasn't much work at all, just some light scrubbing. I was gonna dye the wheels white, but I had some white paint laying around that I figured would look fine until I can find a deal on some original white wheels as they aren't nearly as hard to find as the tires.

I use a Sharpie ultra fine white oil-based paint pen to do the lettering. Try it on an old tire to get the hang of it then do your good tires. It's pretty easy.

I soak the wheels in bleach to rid the chrome as per some directions I found on another modeling website years ago. After an hour or so it required an old toothbrush to get it all off, but it wasn't much work at all, just some light scrubbing. I was gonna dye the wheels white, but I had some white paint laying around that I figured would look fine until I can find a deal on some original white wheels as they aren't nearly as hard to find as the tires.

Thanks for the tips. Is the paint pen made by Sharpie? I'll look for one.

Yup, made by Sharpie. I had a hard time finding one locally. Finally found one in one of the local office supply/art stores. The bigger box stores like Office Depot only had the larger tipped ones, which I don't think would work very well. Just make sure you get the "extra fine" tip.