Sign in to follow this  
Question Boy

Brushless Srb

I haven't even built my re re SS yet, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with the stock motor... So I whipped up an adapter plate that allows me to bolt in a 28mm dia. brushless motor. The motor in the pics is 28mm, but I think up to a 45 mm will fit with only minor hacking to the plastic motor end cover (a little dremeling for the brushless wires to pass through the cover).

This motor is rated at 250W constant, which is (guessing) probably three times the power of a stock motor. While not nearly as powerful as a Mamba Max, I just can't see needing much more than this for such an old design. I really just want a bit more power for the sand! And maintenance free running! And efficiency!

If there's enough interest I'll make up a couple extra for sale. It's a really easy install with the included drill guide.

QB

post-33393-1269385170_thumb.jpg

post-33393-1269385179_thumb.jpg

post-33393-1269385193_thumb.jpg

Very neat indeed! Looks like you could just put a flat plate over instead of the original motor cover. What is that size motor like in terms of torque?

Very neat indeed! Looks like you could just put a flat plate over instead of the original motor cover. What is that size motor like in terms of torque?

That's a great idea with the plate.

I don't know what the torque specs are, but I've found that the brushless motors have tons of torque. Tons.

I'll see if I can find more power/torque specs.

QB

That should have gobs of torque. better buy a couple of bodysets while their available. The 17 turn brushed motor in my runner rough rider is a handfull.

That should have gobs of torque. better buy a couple of bodysets while their available. The 17 turn brushed motor in my runner rough rider is a handfull.

How many Tons to a Gob Jim? ;)

Don't forget they're also probably imperial gobs, so you'll need to divide by 2.2, 14 or 16 to get a metric gob which is, I believe, similar to a bucketload

Merriam Webster defines it as a large amount http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gobs this would be synonymous with manure loads. I think today I will try to use outdated euphemisms. So I think I’m going chill at my Pad, smoke some reefer and have a far out time.

Merriam Webster defines it as a large amount http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gobs this would be synonymous with manure loads. I think today I will try to use outdated euphemisms. So I think I’m going chill at my Pad, smoke some reefer and have a far out time.

Happy 7th birthday Jim ;)

5 members are celebrating their birthday today

Shodog(7), []TEX[](39), marty922(41), WayneS(101), canonball(37)

Jim thats disgusting behavior for a 7 year old, you shouldn't be talking about manure. Enjoy the reefer and chilled out time in your pad though! Happy birthday ;)

WOW WayneS is cracking on a bit :D

Its funny but I'm actually a member of 'MANUREload is a Standardized Unit of Measurement' on facebook but they don't spell it like that.

Happy 7th birthday Jim ;)

Haha 7 is my mental age but 40 is my physical

Haha 7 is my mental age but 40 is my physical

lol...dont you really mean eleventeen ? ;)

reading this post is better than the local newspaper...

much more informative.

End Of Line are knocking out Novak Crawler 380s at £75, are they any use?

http://www.end-of-line-rc.co.uk/index.php?...;productId=1338

The Novak Crawler is probably overkill. I figure you can get by with 1.8758 tons of torque in an SRB. The Novak Crawler is at least 6.9 boatloads of torque, IOW, way more than needed. I haven't tried the Black Mantis brushless yet, but the price is good:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/black-mantis-bm2...r-p-403220.html

QB

Motor is all sealed up, time to move on to the chassis. I picked up a Buggy Champ at the LHS, and I was disappointed with how flexible the chassis is. I don't remember my SS being that flexy back in the day, but then again that was a long time ago. I think a 2mm carbon fiber replacement for the fiberglass should do the trick.

post-33393-1269552877_thumb.jpg

NEAT! I think the super champ owners should jump on this one! Those original slightly different motor covers must be so hard to find.