Sign in to follow this  
Casper171072

M Series Chassis And Hpi Cup Racer Body

what is the is the difference between the various M series chassis? I now some are front and some rear wheel drive but what are the other basic differences. Im guessing wheel base is one of them. Reason I ask is I am looking to use the HPI cup racer porsche 911 RS body on an M series chassis, but I am not sure which is the one I need. Im wanting a a more durable chassis and one with a little more ground clearence for better general running than the Cup Racer chassis which seems to be more of a purpose built racing chassis.

Also anyone know if the Porsche 959/Celica Grb chassis is the same wheel base as the Cup Racer RS? Another idea I have is a replica of the Rothmans Dakar 911.

what is the is the difference between the various M series chassis? I now some are front and some rear wheel drive but what are the other basic differences. Im guessing wheel base is one of them. Reason I ask is I am looking to use the HPI cup racer porsche 911 RS body on an M series chassis, but I am not sure which is the one I need. Im wanting a a more durable chassis and one with a little more ground clearence for better general running than the Cup Racer chassis which seems to be more of a purpose built racing chassis.

Also anyone know if the Porsche 959/Celica Grb chassis is the same wheel base as the Cup Racer RS? Another idea I have is a replica of the Rothmans Dakar 911.

The Cup Racer is available in 225 and 210mm (Standard M-chassis sizes) - I don't know if the wheelbase of the Cup Racers is adjustable without additional parts, but at least the Tamiya ones are (although the shortest wheelbase without modifications on the M04 is 225mm - It can however be made to have a 210mm wheelbase with just slight mods).

The HPI Cup Racer can be assembled as short wheelbase (210mm) and long wheelbase (225mm) by flipping the rear suspension backwards. And adjustable track with variable hex adapters, adpater insert spacers, and several different wheel offsets. The Cup Racer chassis is 4WD.

The Porsche 911 Carrera RSR body is 210mm wheelbase, and the front track is a 0mm offset and the rear is 6mm offset.

To get a M03 (FWD) to fit under this body would just need reassembly to right wheelbase, although I've never seen a front wheel drive Porsche. To fit the body to a M04 chassis (RWD) you would need to make up custom chassis plates the right length from carbon fibre or aluminium.

The M02 (RWD) can be assembled to the 210mm wheelbase, but the suspension is questionable with the single damper both front and rear.

If it was me doing it, I'd make up chassis plates for the M04 chassis out of carbon fibre and space the wheels to the desired offset with different thickness drive hexes.