Sign in to follow this  
Question Boy

What Spares Should I Stock Up On For The Ss?

I hope this post is OK here- I know I'm no longer talking about a strictly 'vintage' car, but I figure those most knowledgeable on the SRBs hang out here more than the 'General' forum.

I'm not expecting SS2010 spares to be available forever, so I want to stock up on a few known wear/damage items. Back in the day I wore out the spindle ball cups, tires, and broke bumpers, and ultimately stopped running the car because spares weren't avaliable, or at least I didn't know where to find them.

So, for those of you who run the SRBs, what do you recommend I buy to keep the car running for the next few years?

Thanks,

QB

Don't know how good rere ball cups are at the end of the front swing arms but I'd get a few of those anyway. In fact ball joint cups on steering to or just upgrade them.

did the BC ever get parts (other than bodyset) released officially? or is the only source still the kit-breakers?

5) tires, they are an odd size today and it will be hard to get replacements unless you want to use hornet tires, tamiya has released hornet tires and they will fit, same with grasshopper tires if you find them.

Actually the tires are pretty easy to find, considering that the re-re'd Hornet, Grasshopper, and Frog all use the same sizes. With the volume listed on Ebay and elsewhere, I would suspect that it will be a long time before you see these dry up.

-S

In addition to the list above, I'd get an extra set of motor and gear covers. Over time the plastic can weaken and crack around the screw holes.

The front arms, especially the lower ones, were a problem on my original Super Champ. The tiny grub screws would strip and the arms wouldn't stay on the suspension shafts. The new arms have the grub screw in a different location that might be better, so it might not be a problem on the re-re's. I haven't thrashed mine enough to know yet. I bought extras anyway.

Wheels. Get some extra wheels. I've chewed up the edges of them enough where by the time the tires are toast, the wheels are too.

The front ball cups (called "ball plate" in the manual) would wear out, too, on my Super Champ. Back then I used grease in the cups and I think it just combined with the sand to ruin the cups and the balls would pop out easily (sounds like a personal problem lol). The new ball blates are completely different from the old ones, unfortunately, so the remaining ones that I have remain precious.

The heck with it, buy an extra kit and be done. :lol: