Sign in to follow this  
TIMtam

Battery Connectors

i am currently using tamiya connectors on my rc cars and i am just about to upgrade to a brushless system for one of my cars.

i know tamiya connectors aren't the best, but i used them because of ease.

i am now looking to change so i get the best performance from my brushless system

could anyone advise me on the best connectors (ie; deans or bullet or any others)

hope u can help

mike

ive looked at them and i am turned away by the fact that there are 2 seperate cables to connect rather than them both being in one unit.

ive been looking at traxxas, does any one have any experience of these?

The connectors click together - so both cables plug together at the same time. It's another advantage of powerpoles - you can connect several together to make a multi plug...

I currently use traxxas plugs on my associated sc10 which is running an ezrun 5.5t with a 60amp speed control and vapextech 4600mah nimh batteries and i havent come across any problems as yet. However i have just ordered a couple of lipo batteries which come with corally connectors so i may switch to these so i dont have to make an adaptor. Hope this helps Rich :lol:

I use a mix of deans and Traxxas, both seem fine to me although I have only ever soldered Traxxas connectors.

Check out this how to guide for the Traxxas connectors, if you follow it they are fairly easy to solder

LINK

i use Deans on everything, make sure you stick with the proper branded ones otherwise they can be a pain to pull apart..

i use deans aswell, i've never had a problem soldering them as i use baker's soldering fluid and a proper (though not huge) iron..

I use a mix of deans and Traxxas, both seem fine to me although I have only ever soldered Traxxas connectors.

Check out this how to guide for the Traxxas connectors, if you follow it they are fairly easy to solder

LINK

Thanks a million for that link.. I am converting all of my plugs to Traxxas in the next few days and this is a very good link with great pictures to help out.

It pains me to ask this at 36 years of age but...dim question time :P : to swap my existing tamiya connectors to Powerpoles I need four housings and 8 30A connectors (2 housings plus connectors for motor to esc and ditto for esc to battery) per car?

Like the non soldering and universal connector idea too.

It pains me to ask this at 36 years of age but...dim question time ;) : to swap my existing tamiya connectors to Powerpoles I need four housings and 8 30A connectors (2 housings plus connectors for motor to esc and ditto for esc to battery) per car?

EDIT (Cos I are a muppet :P )

For each "thing" you wish to convert, you need 2 contacts & 2 housings (1 of each colour).

So, say for example; You have 4 batteries, 2 cars & one charger, you would need 7 red & 7 black housings, & 14 contacts.

However, you will also need a crimping tool (but at least you'll only ever need one)

You need MP71 from this page >>>>> Clicky

I've just converted to Traxxas after one of my Tamiya connectors completely failed. Not that easy to solder if you don't have experience in soldering. The main problems I had were solder flowing over the limit line, and melting the rubber on the wires. Also a bit tricky to push the contact into the plastic housing. Anyway, all done and got easier and less messy towards the end (I did 8 connectors). Seem to work well - no difference in performance but they do at least work - unlike Tamiya's!

It pains me to ask this at 36 years of age but...dim question time :) : to swap my existing tamiya connectors to Powerpoles I need four housings and 8 30A connectors (2 housings plus connectors for motor to esc and ditto for esc to battery) per car?

It's one contact per housing - so for each ESC/battery/charger you want to convert, it's one black housing, one red (or blue and white housings), and two contacts.

Unless you're swapping motors regularly, IMO Japanese bullet connectors are up to the job & don't really need changing :lol: