GreatDane

A New Tamiya Ff01

The Drift car looks very similar to the HPI Drift Pro-D or something. Except it looks like it's belt driven instead of shaft.

I had been saving up and planning and getting super exited to make a proper FWD dragster based off the FF01 since the last two weeks from last summer, and I haven't yet started because of GCSE's. Now next summer most probably I will be spending all my savings on that FF03...

Why haven't you released this news earlier, Tamiya? Why..?! =S xD

I had been saving up and planning and getting super exited to make a proper FWD dragster based off the FF01 since the last two weeks from last summer, and I haven't yet started because of GCSE's. Now next summer most probably I will be spending all my savings on that FF03...

Why haven't you released this news earlier, Tamiya? Why..?! =S xD

i remember u talking abuot it. but yea this one will deftinally be better. stronger arms everything else looks more beefy and our old ff01s are what 15 years old? plastic is getting old and brittle ;) might as make it a shelfer amirite?

edit:

oh yea i just bought my 3rd ff01 like 2 weeks ago. it was a jaccs accord but no accord body. chassis was in presine condition no cracks or anything. just small scuffs. all for $100 with 2 esc and 2 motors and radio.

i remember u talking abuot it. but yea this one will deftinally be better. stronger arms everything else looks more beefy and our old ff01s are what 15 years old? plastic is getting old and brittle ;) might as make it a shelfer amirite?

edit:

oh yea i just bought my 3rd ff01 like 2 weeks ago. it was a jaccs accord but no accord body. chassis was in presine condition no cracks or anything. just small scuffs. all for $100 with 2 esc and 2 motors and radio.

Yes, now with this new 03, the used 01 chassis price will start to fall. But rare and NIB kits and parts will surely rocket towards the sky...

You know something..? The plastic and technology surely feels like it's been used for 15 years, but that surely doesn't mean I won't do that project...firstly because it has become one of the to-do items on my mental life's list, secondly because it has now become part of the so called "old technology", and to create something from an old hog just needs pure engineering, time, and brickloads of creativity (does it show I'm trying to brag? xP) , and thirdly because I have just ordered a set of 35mm onroad tyres xD

EDIT: Oh and by the way, keep that new FF01 of yours on a shelf. In the future you will surely love something like that in your collection.

I have a feeling that the 2wd off road buggy may be the Astute re-release. That would be awesome!!

Oh really, I hate Tamiya :D These releases are really exciting!!! ;) I really like the design of the FF03 from what I can see; It may finally give the Yokomo YR-F2 a run for it's money against another FWD tourer? - the drifting developed chassis seems like a nice bit of kit as well; better protected than the front end of a TA03F, still a nice bias to the front, 2009/10 development - and then of course the 2WD buggy, of which I am 110% percent sure I am getting one! :) Am I the only one who likes the mini pin tires on front instead of rib tires btw?

PS: Thanks Tamiya for not resizing the image itself, but by using some script in the page :D :

42167_a.gif

h-drift_b.gif

ff-03pro_a.gif

http://www.tamiya.com/trf/content/view/1155/191/

On another RC website (not sure if I can post links to other RC websites), an admin unveiled more of the FF03, and I quote;

Details are scant as yet, but the car allegedly uses TRF416 suspension with TA05-IFS laydown front shocks. Three wheelbase options are available in the kit -- 233mm, 245mm, and 257mm. Also introduced will be a new high-strength, 12-ball differential.

Hmmm...I don't think this new FF03 is to be used as a daily basher :D

Does anyone know if the FF03 will be belt-drive like the Yokomo YR-F2 (so you have pinion => spur gear => belt to front diff and nothing else)?

Thats what the M05 should have been.... ( just shorter and narrower of course).

But then you wouldn't have been able to fit a Mini Cooper body (which is THE body everyone thinks about when thinking of a Tamiya M-Chassis).

The Drift car looks very similar to the HPI Drift Pro-D or something. Except it looks like it's belt driven instead of shaft.

Closer to the Alex Racing CER, Hot Bodies Cyclone TCD, Street Jam OTR, Square TA05D, Tech Racing D09X etc. Motor towards the front, cells at the rear, belt drve etc.

FF-03 seems the DF-03 rear gear structure. Will appear a slippery clutch as a Hop Up Option?

Max

What other FWD bodyshells do you think or hope will be re released ????

I hope the ff03 can be shortened so a Clio is re released.

Cheers Daz

What other FWD bodyshells do you think or hope will be re released ????

I hope the ff03 can be shortened so a Clio is re released.

Cheers Daz

I see the Clio as the less likely re-release, although it would be lovely, and never say never with Tamiya :)

I think it would be likely that they'll re-release some more FF shells, and that they will also release the Golf Mk.V or the new Mk.VI - or the New 'Scirocco' on the FF-03 :)

Oh and PLEASE Tamiya, release some WTCC Touring Car Shells!!!!!

I think it would be likely that they'll re-release some more FF shells, and that they will also release the Golf Mk.V or the new Mk.VI - or the New 'Scirocco' on the FF-03 :)

Oh and PLEASE Tamiya, release some WTCC Touring Car Shells!!!!!

I agree completely and join your prayer for WTCC shells !

ABARTH!!!!!! I hope they release the body kit, because I'll be all over that!

Cheers,

Skottoman

ABARTH!!!!!! I hope they release the body kit, because I'll be all over that!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Which one :) ? The Fiat Grande Punto Abarth (which does look very good btw) or something else?

I am with you all on the WTCC shells. The WTCC is far more exciting than the BTCC.

I am with you all on the WTCC shells. The WTCC is far more exciting than the BTCC.

Normally it's the other way around, where in the more 'Professional' classes (the world ones) the drivers have 'grown up' from their 'Rookie' status and drive more carefully - now I do know that if there's an exception to the rule, it's the WTCC, and if there's a very good example to the rule, it's the F1 ;)

Anyway, I just think Tamiya missed a few major shells... The Chevrolet Lacetti (WTCC), which looked absolutely fabulous in my opinion, and the Seat Leon (WTCC), which doesn't look that good, but they did stop Priaulx from taking another title so far, and they scored high with all cars from their Factory Team (Normally, the better performing Factory Teams are more popular with the crowd and are the more likely ones to get signed for a bodyshell for an RC Car, right? :)) But they can still make it right... Private Team Lacetti maybe (probably not) - The new Chevrolet Cruze (although it doesn't look as good), still make a Seat Leon, make the Lada from last year :) (I'd personally congratulate Mr.Tamiya and buy a dozen of these if they put that one out :)) Just do something with it :)

I'd like a Citroën C5 estate and a SAAB 9-3 (~1999) to go with that chassi...

I'll never get my wish though...

My concern with that new FF chassis is the distance between the dampers and the motor.

I'm sure Tamiya will have taken it into account, but i'd be concerned that you're being forced into running stiffer suspension than might be ideal, purely because you're having to provide stiffness to hold up that big pendulum of a motor way out front.

Previous FF designs used vertical or near vertical dampers that were near enough alongside the motor and didn't make that such an apparent issue, if it even is one.

I also think the decision to buy the new TRF buggy will be almost entirely based on price, at least for me and people like me. Buggy design seems to have reached a bit of a plateu, so if they plan on charging much more than Associated or Losi prices it'll be interesting to see who buys on and why - people who 'must have everything new from Tamiya' notwithstanding.

My concern with that new FF chassis is the distance between the dampers and the motor.

I'm sure Tamiya will have taken it into account, but i'd be concerned that you're being forced into running stiffer suspension than might be ideal, purely because you're having to provide stiffness to hold up that big pendulum of a motor way out front.

Previous FF designs used vertical or near vertical dampers that were near enough alongside the motor and didn't make that such an apparent issue, if it even is one.

I don't really see what you mean (If I understood it right what you pointed out)... It's a completely different suspension system, and the position of the damper plays a completely different role; It just needs to be at the right position in comparison to the pendulum/swing arm of the IFS suspension system. The angle of the rod towards the pendulum and the geometry of the pendulum itself now actually plays a big role in how stiff a damper you need for a 'neutral' setup - Tamiya will probably have that done just right, they have the software, workers and drivers for that to test it out :)

And the problem with the front mounted motor isn't really that big, and in theory would be bigger with the regular setup (of the FF01) really, as the three-holed piston would in no way work with the weight, the two hole piston might, and the one hole piston is pretty much the only way to go with the damping - And as for springs, there is plenty of choice...

The Yokomo YR-F2 Special uses a similar damping set-up and works just fine.

Oh really, I hate Tamiya :) These releases are really exciting!!! :) I really like the design of the FF03 from what I can see; It may finally give the Yokomo YR-F2 a run for it's money against another FWD tourer? - the drifting developed chassis seems like a nice bit of kit as well; better protected than the front end of a TA03F, still a nice bias to the front, 2009/10 development - and then of course the 2WD buggy, of which I am 110% percent sure I am getting one! :) Am I the only one who likes the mini pin tires on front instead of rib tires btw?

PS: Thanks Tamiya for not resizing the image itself, but by using some script in the page ;) :

42167_a.gif

h-drift_b.gif

ff-03pro_a.gif

with the servo on the side of the ff-03 i take it the receiver/speed controll will balance it out if fitted on the right hand side of the battery(looking from front on) otherwise its going to be messing about with lead or similar.But is that not going to be front end heavy? i know on a fwd you need the grip over front wheels for steering and drive but you still need a balanced car

And on the subject of bodyshells what about a release of the old BTCC Vauxhall cavalier(Opel Vectra "A" for our continental brothers And some sort of Holden nonsense for our antipodean members :) )As Won the championship in the hands of John Clelland?