GreatDane

A New Tamiya Ff01

with the servo on the side of the ff-03 i take it the receiver/speed controll will balance it out if fitted on the right hand side of the battery(looking from front on) otherwise its going to be messing about with lead or similar.But is that not going to be front end heavy? i know on a fwd you need the grip over front wheels for steering and drive but you still need a balanced car

And on the subject of bodyshells what about a release of the old BTCC Vauxhall cavalier(Opel Vectra "A" for our continental brothers And some sort of Holden nonsense for our antipodean members :) )As Won the championship in the hands of John Clelland?

I think they won't actually release a new Cavalier shell/box art for that shell, but they may re-release the already existing Opel Vectra JTCC :)

I think they won't actually release a new Cavalier shell/box art for that shell, but they may re-release the already existing Opel Vectra JTCC ;)

fair enough.that`ll teach me to check first!! :lol: Should be able to source sone rac/autotrader btcc decals from somewhere for it though.but what about the weighting? a bit of playing around to get it sorted or will it be ok "from the box" as it were

fair enough.that`ll teach me to check first!! :lol: Should be able to source sone rac/autotrader btcc decals from somewhere for it though.but what about the weighting? a bit of playing around to get it sorted or will it be ok "from the box" as it were

The weight balance should be fine. It's not much further to the front than the FF01 I guess, it's centred better, and I heard many people say that they prefer the weight balance of the FF01 over the FF02 (which I think has the balance further to the rear?). I do think that when a chassis setup gets a more extreme weight balance, the chassis does need either grippier tires or a grippier onroad surface. my Dyna Storm, M02 and my FF01 all have a very bad balance on freshly made tarmac and certain types of concrete/concrete tiles, and dusty surfaces seem to have greater effect as well. More understeer on high speed, more oversteer with low speeds (especially when slowing down, when the weight shifts to the front) - But it's nothing a right setup can't fix.

Imo the FF01 chassis is the best of all the fwd tamiya cars. I just love the handling like Origineelreclamebord

"More understeer on high speed, more oversteer with low speeds (especially when slowing down, when the weight shifts to the front) - But it's nothing a right setup can't fix. "

I think they are just a lot more fun to drive and they need a little more care on the throttle and brakes than 4wd cars .

I just hope that the FF03 is as good and by the looks of the design it will be better.

I think Tamiya should have designed this a lot sooner as it was a shame to see good fwd bodies (ie Mugan integra and golf) on a tt01 chassis.

Daz

impp_0904_02_zmotul_nismo_r35_gt_r_skyline_24_7skyline2.jpg

This is the Motul Nismo GT-R (Tokachi) that they'll be releasing, not the R35 I posted earlier ;) (They added Tokachi and the title and google gives me this - plus it's been released by Kyosho as a Mini Z as well)

I just hope they release the TRF201 and the FF03 soon, because the more I look at both of them, the more I want to have them!

And the Wolf WR1 will be released on the F104 - New releases on new modern material with an old school shell on it... I think Tamiya should apply this to their whole list of chassis' in production :lol:

I thought the wolf would be nice and Im sure it will be,but using the F104 chassis with F103 suspension arms will make the car very large. It will be the same size as the C car chassis.Being this large will make it 1/8 scale and will look really large compared to the other Tamiya F1 cars.70s F1 cars are smaller than current F1 cars by a few feet. Its going to look like a Willies Wheeler next to an F104. B)

I thought the wolf would be nice and Im sure it will be,but using the F104 chassis with F103 suspension arms will make the car very large. It will be the same size as the C car chassis.Being this large will make it 1/8 scale and will look really large compared to the other Tamiya F1 cars.70s F1 cars are smaller than current F1 cars by a few feet. Its going to look like a Willies Wheeler next to an F104. :mellow:

Well, if that's the price to pay to get a nice looking old school F1 car... I know that it might be disappointing to get from let's say 'the king of scale' - but what else should they have done? If it needed to be smaller, you could well end up having problems to fit all the electrics, and the width would need to be decreased, which can be done, but to a limited amount, because the motor is almost in between the wheels. And as a last thing, the cost of it would make the whole thing uninteresting for Tamiya to release such a car.

What I do hope though is that although they are using the shape and geometry of the F103 front arms, they will have changed the material to something stiffer, or have it available as a hopup - If they haven't, I don't see the point in actually releasing it on the F104 at all! :angry:

Well, if that's the price to pay to get a nice looking old school F1 car... I know that it might be disappointing to get from let's say 'the king of scale' - but what else should they have done? If it needed to be smaller, you could well end up having problems to fit all the electrics, and the width would need to be decreased, which can be done, but to a limited amount, because the motor is almost in between the wheels. And as a last thing, the cost of it would make the whole thing uninteresting for Tamiya to release such a car.

What I do hope though is that although they are using the shape and geometry of the F103 front arms, they will have changed the material to something stiffer, or have it available as a hopup - If they haven't, I don't see the point in actually releasing it on the F104 at all! :mellow:

There is allready a Wolf WR1 body on the market. Its made by D-Drive and Cross.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...05&id=26345

It uses the F103 chassis.ALL electrics fit fine,the width is correct,70s F1 cars are about as wide as the are long. The chassis being a F103 would mean NO tooling cost except for the body. The body has so much space under it that you can use a F103LM chassis. The Wolf WR1 on an F103 chassis is even a little large,but not nearly as bad as it would be sized up for a F104. I run one.

It seems just wrong to make it so large (1/8th) when it has allready been done correctly,and Tamiya knows about the current WR1 body. So there really isnt any reason to use the F104 chassis for it.

The front F103 arms have been released in carbon reinforced plastic for a year or so now.

What they really could do that really live up to Tamiya would be to use a short F104 chassis to make a Brabham BT44,March 761,Hesketh 308, or Ferrari 312ts. Instead of releaseing the WR1 as seams to be one of the few F1 cars that Tamiya like to make. They allready make it in 1\20th,1/12th and now RC.

Beautifull all we need know is a release date.

FF03 on Tamiya.com

Item No:58463 2010.6.26 

The release date for the FF03 would appear to be the 26th June. Still a bit of a wait then... :rolleyes:

FF03 on Tamiya.com

Item No:58463 2010.6.26 

The release date for the FF03 would appear to be the 26th June. Still a bit of a wait then... :rolleyes:

I have already started saving lol.

Japanese previews of the FF03 PRO have hit the news stands...

FF-03_scan2_S.jpg

See more HERE

Which motor has been used in the demo model?

Hummm a 28Turn motor then.

So I'm guessing the stories about it becoming a wheelspining tyre eating monster in 27Turn stock guise may be a little unfounded.

Imagine it with a nice Carbon Chassis upgrade......very TRFesque or TRFable B)

Imo the FF03 Pro already looks very high-spec - I think Tamiya is trying to fill up a market that's been missing a bit from their line-up over the years: The cars that don't need hopups to be competitive but are competitive out of the box, but still don't have the spec of the top cars/TRF cars - And as such, aren't carrying a price tag of a TRF car either.

Me likes!!! :)

So with these new pictures, I can only feel disappointed after initially being excited about this new FWD car:

- bathtub chassis with webbing in bad places that really limits the size of the electronics

- spur sits so high low bodies won't fit properly

- pinion cascade from spur to diff, instead of a more direct belt

- very plasticy for a "pro" car

I think I'll keep to my Yokomo YR-F2 Special, which doesn't suffer from these problems.

So with these new pictures, I can only feel disappointed after initially being excited about this new FWD car:

- bathtub chassis with webbing in bad places that really limits the size of the electronics

- spur sits so high low bodies won't fit properly

- pinion cascade from spur to diff, instead of a more direct belt

- very plasticy for a "pro" car

I think I'll keep to my Yokomo YR-F2 Special, which doesn't suffer from these problems.

I think that this chassis is a vast improvement on most of the fwd chassis on the market.

Yes it still has a bathtub chassis but it is a lot smaller and not as deep as others

I agree that the spur does sit quite high looking at the pics but the whole car sits lower yeah you might not be able to fit ultra low bodyshells on it but i am sure that most will not be a problem.

I agree with the direct drive Tamiya could opf done a better job.

The car does look "plasticy" but for the cost for this car I would say it is value for money and I am sure Tamiya will be producing a carbon or carbon reinforced chassis set for this soon.

All in all its nice to see an new fwd chassis on the market especially that its a tamiya. I would like to see fwd racing take off again (not just in mini form).

anyway I just thought i would add this.

Daz

I'm really surprised it doesn't include universals. It wouldn't cost much extra, and they would definitely make the pro worth getting. As it stands now, the only real upgrades are the shocks. The alloy turnbuckles won't last long, and the heatsink motor mount is for show (you can't put much torque through the tires to generate a lot of heat). Tub chassis is fine to keep cost down, but carbon tub and or carbon-fiber plate chassis will surely come in the future. I may just get one for the Civic body alone...