Sign in to follow this  
Old Falcon Lad

Tl01 Chassis, Which Model?

Afternoon all,

Just picked up a rolling chassis for less than a tenner, and I think it's a TL01. Not sure what the original model would have been, as I can't place the wheels. Have a look here and let me know your views:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulclack/4502398413/

Also, another lot of stuff came with a mystery bag of parts. Could these be monster beetle bits?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulclack/4503046240/

Thanks again,

Paul

Those definately look like Monster Beetle parts to me although I am pretty sure they aren't Tamiya wheels on the TL-01.

The wheels of the TL-01 aren't original. You can see though that it's not the TL-01LA, which had Hopup suspension for better geometry and some other hopups included as stock. You can also see that it has bodymounts on the rear that don't go straight up, but a little to the rear first. You can look up all manuals if you'd really like to know what it could have been, but nearly all TL01 tourers had that - one exception was the TL01 Subaru Impreza 97'er and Subaru Impreza 2001...

The wheels of the TL-01 aren't original. You can see though that it's not the TL-01LA, which had Hopup suspension for better geometry and some other hopups included as stock. You can also see that it has bodymounts on the rear that don't go straight up, but a little to the rear first. You can look up all manuals if you'd really like to know what it could have been, but nearly all TL01 tourers had that - one exception was the TL01 Subaru Impreza 97'er and Subaru Impreza 2001...

OK cheers guys. I was intending to download a manual for a rebuild / assess what I've got. So I guess any TL01 manual would so, with the exception of the two Subaru models mentioned?

Paul

OK cheers guys. I was intending to download a manual for a rebuild / assess what I've got. So I guess any TL01 manual would so, with the exception of the two Subaru models mentioned?

Paul

All TL01's are essentially the same except for the:

- TL01-LA (Long-span Arms (different geometry suspension) and some small hopups) > Link to example of a TL01-LA

- TL01-B (Buggy version) > Link to example of a TL01-B

The TL01-RA Subaru Impreza just has different wheels, just like the Stadium Thunder. Besides that, all those TL01's are the same apart from the body posts on some cars, the height as which those are cut, the body and the wheels... In short, those are mostly cosmetic differences that are not relevant for the rebuild of your TL01 ;)

The TL01 is a very straight forward car to work on - you have only a few types of screws. All chassis parts are put together with the natural metal colour selftapping screws - all of the same length. Then you have the screws for the hub carriers, which have big round heads. You have 6 small screws for tightening the diff caps on the gear diffs. The last type are black anodized screws with a unthreaded, wider portion on it (like a bushing), used for the dampers. All bearings/bushings are of 1150 size (11mm outside size, 5mm hole on the inside, 3mm wide - very cheap on the internet) and the front and rear diffs, outdrives, shafts and axles are interchangeable. Straight forward really :)

PS: It was my first car, I took it apart often enough to probably do it blindfolded ;) Great car to drive and to work on!

I didn't know they were 4mm thick either until about two months ago when I had to special order specific sizes for my conversion project. :)