Tamiya1/10

What Turns U Off About The Forums

LOL - but you can't read RC10talk without being a member B)

Just like here, everyone is able to read the forums, you just can't post without being a member

Andy I agree about the Opinioning about ebay prices and such. I wish authors of those types of post would use discression before posting.

Just like here, everyone is able to read the forums, you just can't post without being a member

Andy I agree about the Opinioning about ebay prices and such. I wish authors of those types of post would use discression before posting.

I can't see that RC10 post either, are there 'locked out' areas?

Edit - The Buy/Sell area is locked out until access is granted

Discretion is part of the problem, a lot of people haven't read the rules, the post that quote comes from is from an established member and was posted about 2 weeks ago

Okay my bad, you can't see the ebay forum this was posted in if you're not a member. However you can read most all the other forums if your not a member

I prefer the no live link rule personally. What happens when someone comes in and says "Hey guys look at this! Blazer for £25 and just 25 mins to go!". Everyone jumps on it, and it's priced out of everyones league. (Yes I know it's an exageration before anyone pipes up, but the principle is the same).

I thought so many people were banging about how much they love the challenge of tracking down rare parts, surely this particular rule on TC facilitates that?

To quote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy:

"What's the point of spending half the night arguing whether there may or may not be a God, if this things just gives you his phone number the next morning".

If the "thrill of the chase" and hunting down a bargain is part of the fun, why on earth do you want someone to tell you where to get all the good stuff from? Surely the thrill is finding that yourself?

There is nothing on TC that overly annoys me that much, except the odd bit of snobbery you get here and there about re-re's. It's an internet forum. Not reeally that worth getting overly het up about B)

Just seems slightly "odd" that you cannot posta link to a live auction yet it seems that its allowable for people to say things like look on ebay for "Tamiya RC VW Buggy" and you do a search and lo and behold theres a badly described sand scorcher on the cheap, pretty much the same as direct linking dont you think?.

As regards "Stopping someone getting a bargain" do you think everyone will see/spot all the bargains and post everything on the forums themselves (why would they if they plan to bid themselves?), on the other hand if a collector was not interested in that item and posted it on TC surely that gives those who are interested the chance to bid?, rather than it go to those who literally spend 16 hours a day hunting for bargains using every known "Incorrect spelling" program or the like the freedom to keep picking up these "Bargains" and selling them on for profit (which ultimately collectors are paying anyway).

I know its been said before that most collectors are also sellers (or dealers if you prefer) and that this helps fund their hobby/collection/lifestyle but why not give everyone the chance?.

Suppose the easy answer would be everyone with a fee-pay account to set up about 50 different search parameters on all the mispelt options, wording etc but this is the long way round to a problem that can be remedied easily.

Just my thoughts on this issue.

Cheers

P.S. what I say in here is not a dig/poke at any particular people just observations based on what the forums seem to be saying.

I am not a fan of the live ebay rule either. When used properly, it can be helpful to members, especially newbies. BUT, it's much easier to moderate no live ebay links than moderate grown men getting their panties in a twist about an auction.

I believe the reason live ebay links works on RC10talk is because the group is more tight knit. Not that people here aren't helpful or wonderful human beings, it's just the fact that there are 20 times more members here than there. So, for every moron RC10 talk has, Tamiyaclub has 20. B) Same goes for pedantic hall monitors. :P:D

I guess what turns me off the Forums are:

1) models I am not interested in

2) members write pages and pages. I guess I am a slow reader and anything longer than say 10 sentenses turns me off and I stop reading it.

3) members use big words which I have to look it up in a dictionary.

thats about its....

Andy Rooney

ps and people canat spel...

The in house fighting and squabbles over nothing are annoying but I guess you get that everywhere.

Super huge pictures that take ages to load while you are halfway through reading a post.

Also the one thread wonders asking for advice only to dissapear never to be heard from again.

Stuart.

My two gripes:

1) People who post asking a question, who then start getting shirty when nobody has answered it within 1 hour.

2) People who reply to posts with images, quoting all the previously posted images.

Apart from that it's my favourite place on the web...

Seems like we all hate something about the Forums, but we keep on coming back for more. The Forums is like a woman, you can't live with it but you can't live without it. B)

The forum is just like a woman :

It leads you to buy expensive things you don't need and doesn't listen when you complain B)

Paul.

The forum is just like a woman...doesn't listen when you complain :)

As the woman in my life would say when the above is suggested, "you can make your own dinner then" Good Luck B)

I year or so ago I tried to post information in the villains forum about a guy trying to rip people off. For some reason my entry never went up. A few weeks later a TC member lost £500 to the same guy. The fact that no one in authrity seemed all that concerned that my post didn't go up was, frankly, a bit of a turn off. But I got over it. B)

People who complain about having to OH NOES! read on a forum.

People who complain about having to OH NOES! read on a forum.

Yes, good point!, can we have a speech option where the post is read in the voice of Michael Winner?

Calm down dears it's only a model car forum. B)

You know what really annoys me about the forums? People talking in code B)

P.

You know what really annoys me about the forums? People talking in code :)

P.

1m 50rry, \/\/h47 w45 7h3 pr08lem? B)

Seriously though, every time I see a complaint (from a native english speaker) that essentially boils down to "The words you have used are too big and since it causes me physical pain to use a dictionary, I'll simply wail and gnash my teeth until you dumb it down for me" I have to get up and leave the computer for a bit. I mean god forbid they have to learn something new.

My biggest gripe is the requests that go like this: "I am interested in your sale listing. Can you get a dimension / shipping cost / more info?" and then when you do they never get back to you-- either via the thread or even a quick PM. A simple 'thanks but no thanks' would be a nice courtesy after someone goes out of their way to get you specific information. And this applies to many sites, not just TC. B)

People that call "wheels" "rims". Learn English from a dictionary, not from "The Fast and the Furious".

These are rims:

echo_rims01.jpg

This is a wheel:

audi-251.JPG

Additionally, your 1/10th scale model car is exactly that. A model car. It is never "Your ride".

People that call "wheels" "rims". Learn English from a dictionary, not from "The Fast and the Furious".

These are rims:

echo_rims01.jpg

This is a wheel:

audi-251.JPG

Additionally, your 1/10th scale model car is exactly that. A model car. It is never "Your ride".

Same goes for people saying "treads" or "tires" when they mean TYRES! ;-)

Technically, based on the definition of both terms, calling the second picture "wheels" is just as wrong as calling them "rims" since they consist of both. The rim is the outer part where the tire sits, while the "wheel" is the part the lugnuts bolt into.

Technically, based on the definition of both terms, calling the second picture "wheels" is just as wrong as calling them "rims" since they consist of both. The rim is the outer part where the tire sits, while the "wheel" is the part the lugnuts bolt into.

According to Oxford english dictionary the correct meaning of wheel;-

a circular object that revolves on an axle, fixed below a vehicle to enable it to move along or forming part of a machine. 2 something resembling a wheel or having a wheel as its essential part

So I guess you run your car on wheels not rims ;-)

a circular object that revolves on an axle, fixed below a vehicle to enable it to move along or forming part of a machine. 2 something resembling a wheel or having a wheel as its essential part

I thought they ran on tyres, but shows what I know

What Turns U Off About The Forums? - Pedantry B)

Also sounds like there is no such thing as a "rim" barring those of coffee cups and barrels.

I was going to say threads of two pages or more without photos, but thats been solved now. :);)

I couldn't let this slip by without a giant LOL!