Hibernaculum

I Wonder...

When people trade, often the original owner of something doesn't delete their model.

I wonder (and I know there is no answer to this) just what % of models are now no longer owned by the members who still have them listed.

I look around and can count several models I have bought, that are still listed here under their original owners. I just found one a moment ago and thought "I never knew that person had one", then when I looked closer I realized it was mine :D

Not complaining, just observing :lol:

H.

It is hard to tell, but I would guess around 1/3 are not genuinely owned. Some members even seem to have all their sold cars in their showrooms.

Cheers

Fritjofarnold

I was going to suggest 20%, quite often im browsing showrooms and you see "Sold" "Traded" and the like with pictures still there.

quite often im browsing showrooms and you see "Sold" "Traded" and the like with pictures still there.

There's no need to delete a model that's been sold, so long as it's recategorized to 'extra info' - this is because extra info models don't contribute to the model stats

On the model entry/edit screen, there's also a check box for "sold/traded/thrown away"

post-1185-1271613047_thumb.jpg

Originally, the categories were to keep the stats accurate, but I suspect they're pretty much redundant now, as few people ever change their 'NIB' to 'Extra Info' once they've turned it into a 'Runner'

There's no need to delete a model that's been sold, so long as it's recategorized to 'extra info' - this is because extra info models don't contribute to the model stats

On the model entry/edit screen, there's also a check box for "sold/traded/thrown away"

I understand that some people might like to keep cars/parts they no longer have as a refference but for the most part I think people forget to delete or amend something.

Having said that its very frustrating trolling for parts in the Traders section having found what you want only to realise it was posted in say 2005 and it would no longer be a relevant part that can be obtained,as system like 'extra info/sold/traded/thrown away' is only as good as the operator who manages their respective showrooms dont get me wrong its a great system when it works properly.

If I no longer have a certain model/part in my showroom they are deleted from my trades section and showroom.

Or if I have restored a previoulsy added project in my showroom I will delete the old entry and or add a replacement of the restored project in question.

Stuart.

Having said that its very frustrating trolling for parts in the Traders section having found what you want only to realise it was posted in say 2005 and it would no longer be a relevant part that can be obtained,as system like 'extra info/sold/traded/thrown away' is only as good as the operator who manages their respective showrooms dont get me wrong its a great system when it works properly.

Yup, the trader section is just as bad, if not more so as searches there are generally for parts needed as opposed to reference or curiousity.

For some reason, lots of subscribers still insist on editing the title to contain 'SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD" but can't perform a simple task like checking the "SOLD Click here if you want to remove this item from public listings" checkbox.

That removes the item from searches, but leaves it in their traderoom, for future reference.

Adam/acprc went thru and deleted loads a while back, but it's a fruitless task - search just 'sold' in trades, and there's over 450

Unfortuantely, it's a manual task deleting them, as not every trade containing the word sold is actually sold, it could be 'A mate sold this to me, but now I want to sell it' so someone's gotta go thru them all and check them.

That doesn't include all the ebay ones that are finished and not deleted :P

Not sure why an old eBay plug can't be automatically deleted, after all the dates are there to be checked.

I have loads of cars in my showroom that are part of others' showrooms too, but this has also happened the other way. I don't have a lot of my stock listed either.

Paul.

Yup, the trader section is just as bad, if not more so as searches there are generally for parts needed as opposed to reference or curiousity.

For some reason, lots of subscribers still insist on editing the title to contain 'SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD" but can't perform a simple task like checking the "SOLD Click here if you want to remove this item from public listings" checkbox.

That removes the item from searches, but leaves it in their traderoom, for future reference.

Adam/acprc went thru and deleted loads a while back, but it's a fruitless task - search just 'sold' in trades, and there's over 450

Unfortuantely, it's a manual task deleting them, as not every trade containing the word sold is actually sold, it could be 'A mate sold this to me, but now I want to sell it' so someone's gotta go thru them all and check them.

That doesn't include all the ebay ones that are finished and not deleted :P

The Trade room should get an automatic delete feature. After X weeks the "for Sale" gets marked "sold" (easy to reinstate after two weeks) and after Y days the "ebay ad" gets deleted.

Wanted's could be treated just like "for sale" ads.

Lars

Not sure why an old eBay plug can't be automatically deleted, after all the dates are there to be checked.

This has been requested before, and it's not currently possible to only delete ebay trades and not other trades, without doing it manually.

Every now and then a 'wipeout' is done to clear out trades from members that no longer subscribe, so most of the trades still in the traderooms are from current subscribers who could very easily tidy them up themselves.

The Trade room should get an automatic delete feature. After x feeks the "for Sale" gets marked "sold" (easy to recreate after twoo weeks) and after Y days the "ebay ad" gets deleted.

Wanted's could be treated just like "for sale" ads.

Lars

The problem with this is that active trades may get deleted too.

Most of my traderoom is 2 weeks old or more, but I still get trades from people that've found stuff by searching - Automating deletion would mean people then have to relist items that didn't sell yet.

As for ebay ads, with something like these which I sell regularily, automatically deleting them would mean I have to re-enter them into my trades to get the TC ebay code, but I usually re-add them to my traderoom towards the end of the auction, not the start.

It could be 3 or 4 weeks before I get another batch made, but when I do, I get the ebay code off the old ad, list them on ebay, then eventually re-add them to my traderoom if the ebay ad needs a 'boost'

In the meantime though, they're marked as sold so nobody's search finds them, but they're there if I need them.

The problem with this is that active trades may get deleted too.

Most of my traderoom is 2 weeks old or more, but I still get trades from people that've found stuff by searching - Automating deletion would mean people then have to relist items that didn't sell yet.

Two weeks, 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 52 weeks, I don't know.. But the Trade room needs som kind of automatic deletion. The last 80 pages or so (out of 253) are from 2008 or earlier....

-Lars

Two weeks, 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 52 weeks, I don't know.. But the Trade room needs som kind of automatic deletion. The last 80 pages (of 253) or so are from 2008 or earlier....

-Lars

You yourself have sale items from March 2009, wanted items from 2007 and trades from 2006 - would you really want them deleted because others are untdy?

You yourself have sale items from March 2009, wanted items from 2007 and trades from 2006 - would you really want them deleted because others are untdy?

Yes, no problem. If they are still valid (and they are) I can just relist them.

Lars

:P I think you would be one of the few then - I certainly wouldn't be happy about relisting trades because others haven't kept their own traderooms up to date, but maybe I'm the minority here.

:P I think you would be one of the few then - I certainly wouldn't be happy about relisting trades because others haven't kept their own traderooms up to date, but maybe I'm the minority here.

Well, maybe...

But the point is: The trade room would be better (beneficial for us with "real" trades) , and if the rules were amended, to let posters know that the ad would be deleted after say one year, then I bet it would be ok for 99% of the community here.

It's just another rule ... ;)

Lars

Well, maybe...

But the point is: The trade room would be better (beneficial for us with "real" trades) , and if the rules were amended, to let posters know that the ad would be deleted after say one year, then I bet it would be ok for 99% of the community here.

It's just another rule ... :P

Lars

But there is no benefit to traders for legitimate trades being deleted, regardless of how old they are - Your trades can be found by searching, regardless of whether they're 1 week, 1 month or 1 year old.

The biggest opposition to these 'sweeping' deletions is for this very reason - people should be keeping their own traderooms up to date, not relying on automated systems to save them the hassle.

If someone comes across an item that is offered for sale and turns out not to be once they contact the seller, they can always either ask the seller to remove it, seeing as most trades should be from current subscribers.

- people should be keeping their own traderooms up to date, not relying on automated systems to save them the hassle.

I agree, but relying in people (masses of them) just doesn't work in th real world... *cry*

Send and automatic email to the ones that get deleted, with an option to "click here to reverse deletion, if trade still valid"

Getting advanced here, but this "click here" is just a toggle of the "sold" checkmark already in use.

I think my point has come across, maybe we sould get back on topic :P

-Lars

I agree with Lars here :P I am all for the auto-deactivation of all trades older than a set period - like 2 months.

Where else (other sites, newspapers etc) can you list a trade/classified, and have it stay listed for infinity?

I think we should do whatever is for the greater good.

Maintaining integrity/validity of the entire trade system

OR

Saving people the trouble of relisting their item every 2 months if a deal isn't completed.

As for showrooms, maybe there could just be an email reminder to people once a year after sign-up, to say:

"Have you sold/traded/built/thrown away any of your cars in the past year? Then please UPDATE YOUR SHOWROOM to reflect the changes, and help keep Tamiyaclub.com an accurate database of models!".

Also I've noticed that some people list re-release models under the original model category, but that's another problem which I'm sure will be fixed when Twinset completes the code for his Optical Kit Box Photo Analysis & Recognition Algorithm (OKBPARA).

H.

Also I've noticed that some people list re-release models under the original model category, but that's another problem which I'm sure will be fixed when Twinset completes the code for his Optical Kit Box Photo Analysis & Recognition Algorithm (OKBPARA).

For some reason, the OKBPARA immediately made me think of THIS :P

I'll run it past Chris (he'll know if it's possible to automate it) and let you know

I doubt there'll be any 'click here not to do this' option, it'll be one or the other.

Personally, I'd prefer it didn't happen, not sure why I need to relist legitimate trades because others are untidy, but there ya go - 2 fors, 1 against B)**

**Democracy is not implied or guaranteed ;)

:angry:

And thanks for taking the feedback on board.

It's being looked at at the minute, gimme a few day sand I'll let you know how it's going...