ap6318

Fox Rebuild

Last year I had a thread "Not so Super Hornet" where I bought a complete fox (runner?) on ebay and the lady sent me all her son's RC equipment.

Well... I've finall got around to the Fox rebuild.

Here is what I'm starting with... looks good in the picture doesn't it.

p1090332.jpg

Body off... What is that bit of prerspex doing there?

Oh, I see. It's holding the chassis together!!!

p1090334.jpg

And you all knew the rear arm would be broken :)

p1090335.jpg

So I sat on this one until I could locate a complete chassis. Luckily, my good freind MadRacer (Mark) likes to collect Foxes and happened to have a spare to trade with some of the left over parts from my recent "Hotshot Twin" rebuild.

Again Mark, thank you for this.

p1090336.jpg

Let the fun begin :angry:

Looks like this is going to become a pretty decent runner. I don't yet own a fox, but i'm sure that front shock isn't right? I really much get my hands on one of these old buggy's.

dazaa

The Fox is probably one of my favourite Tamiya's, but some of the parts are hard to find, such as rear lower wishbones. I wish they'd rere it or someone would make alloy ones!

I broke my chassis in exactly the same place, seems to be a weak-spot. Good luck with the resto!

I`m gonna get a Fox one day, it was one of the first proper RC cars i saw, and the man who owned it actually RACED it,no one i new actually raced RC cars, so i was impressed.

Cool car, and good luck with the rebuild.

I`m gonna get a Fox one day, it was one of the first proper RC cars i saw, and the man who owned it actually RACED it,no one i new actually raced RC cars, so i was impressed.

Cool car, and good luck with the rebuild.

I have the Fox. I love the thing!!. Just be careful with the hop ups. I used an old Pro Line hard plastic bumper on mine. I didn't like it becasue when you hit something hard it does not flex and what it is attached to actually breaks. I would stick with the og fox bumper. But there are alot of fox upgrades out there that are just plain cool!! Like the Thorp diff and outdrives. Thats just plain cool!!

I don't yet own a fox, but i'm sure that front shock isn't right?

The yellow shock in the last pic is the correct shock. The Fox was the first kit to include the yellow CVA short shocks.

Yes, the chassis and rear lower arm breakages you have are common. All the rear arms are prone to cracking around the screw pin holes.

The front sway bar is a good upgrade, improves the steering response, but the sway bar stays protrude forwards a long way and are prone to breakage in a crash.

Basically, almost all Fox parts are becoming hard to get, because it shared very few parts with other cars. Best idea for a runner is to buy two or three used parts cars, and combine them into a complete example.

At least the front tires for the Fox are relatively cheap, and the rear tires are shared with the Hot Shot so are easy to get.

- James

It will be great to see this running around at Boondall. You should have this up and running before I get mine running again.

When you do we should try to get all of the Foxes out on the same day for a run.

It will be great to see this running around at Boondall. You should have this up and running before I get mine running again.

When you do we should try to get all of the Foxes out on the same day for a run.

Not so sure I will be first finished Brad, but yes definately a fox run would be awesome. Then we can all search ebay for the next 6 months looking for rear arms again B)

Car stripped. Looks like all 4 rear arms are broken around the pin holes. That's ok because I won an auction last month for a complete set of new rear arms.

p1090337.jpg

Here are all the non useable bits

p1090338p.jpg

Good news is I think I have everything to complete the rebuild

Not so sure I will be first finished Brad, but yes definately a fox run would be awesome. Then we can all search ebay for the next 6 months looking for rear arms again B)

Car stripped. Looks like all 4 rear arms are broken around the pin holes. That's ok because I won an auction last month for a complete set of new rear arms.

Nice work! now it all has to go back together!. How many loans did you take out for the rear arms? :D

Not so sure I will be first finished Brad, but yes definately a fox run would be awesome.

I think you will beat me as I currently have all 8 arms broken and I won't get to start to even look at it again until June as we go away to visit the in-laws soon.

It's great that you have all of the bits and I hope that you get it rebuilt so that I can see it get around before I go away. Maybe when I get back we can get Mark and some of the other guys with Foxes to all bring them out on the same day.

Nice work! now it all has to go back together!. How many loans did you take out for the rear arms? :angry:

No loans, just a kidney :mellow:

Chassis cleaned and electrics installed. Running the original Sanwa servo, a HPI electronic speedy (auto setting end points) and Eurgle 2.4ghz receiver. Shouldn't have to open it up for a while.

p1090641.jpg

I think you will beat me as I currently have all 8 arms broken and I won't get to start to even look at it again until June as we go away to visit the in-laws soon.

It's great that you have all of the bits and I hope that you get it rebuilt so that I can see it get around before I go away. Maybe when I get back we can get Mark and some of the other guys with Foxes to all bring them out on the same day.

For sure. I will try and have it running for the Boondall meet after this one.

I might have a front arm or 2 spare if you need them. I'm sure with 2 fox hoarders in our group you should be right for fronts. Maybe have a rear arm hunt in Japan.

Correct shocks sourced and rebuild with 35wt oil. Put a spacer on the front shock to try and stop bottom out. I'm not going to run a front stabilizer for the first run as I want to see how it feels. A few guys have said the car corners much better without it.

p1090642e.jpg

Front uprights half done - bit of before and after

p1090644.jpg

Looking forward to front end assembly tonight B)

Correct shocks sourced and rebuild with 35wt oil. Put a spacer on the front shock to try and stop bottom out.

The original instructions say to use rubber bushings on all three shocks. But the front one is more important.

I'm not going to run a front stabilizer for the first run as I want to see how it feels. A few guys have said the car corners much better without it.

I think you'll find the opposite, the car handles much better with it. But good to do your own comparison.

- James

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the sway bar question. I just spent the last weekend with Mad Racer down in Sydney having a most excellent run. I believe he is one of the folk that has strongly argued that a sway bar isn't actually required. I was doubtful too. I had set up my fox with all the handling bits I could gather including adjustable upper links on both ends modern rubber and a the front sway bar.

Removing the sway bar made such an improvement to the horrible understeer and mid-corner stability of the car that I became an instant convert. It might be a different story on super grippers, but I drove it in both dry and wet conditions and the car was just soooo much better without it.

post-16612-1272526550_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the sway bar question. I just spent the last weekend with Mad Racer down in Sydney having a most excellent run. I believe he is one of the folk that has strongly argued that a sway bar isn't actually required. I was doubtful too. I had set up my fox with all the handling bits I could gather including adjustable upper links on both ends modern rubber and a the front sway bar.

Removing the sway bar made such an improvement to the horrible understeer and mid-corner stability of the car that I became an instant convert. It might be a different story on super grippers, but I drove it in both dry and wet conditions and the car was just soooo much better without it.

Aaah! Don't make a liar out of me! :blink:

Last time I had my Fox at the local track, it had the front stabilizer, and it would snap oversteer at the drop of a hat. It is a smooth clay track with very slippery fine dust. I didn't think to disconnect the stabilizer to see what difference it made. I just remember the front end being all flubbery without it, the car flails about on rougher ground. I'm going to have to try disconnecting the roll bar ends now... And I guess that's always an option if you have it installed and don't need it, just disconnect it. The front ideally needs a softer spring and damper oil when you do add the stabilizer.

But what you are saying makes sense. Front roll bars do typically cause off roaders to understeer. Some cars like the Super Shot used to only run the anti roll bar at the back, and most run none at all.

- James

Dean it was a pleasure to see your fox run and handle so nice.

As i have been saying for a long time the front end is very good on the fox. It may have a washing out effect from side to side but this is just a rolling motion that the mono shock pivots on. Like rolling rear end on a pan car. My fox wheels always stays on the deck regardless of the track.

A front sway bar gives the affect of tighting the sloppy motion but all it does is what its suppose to do and that is takeing steering away. Its not a small bar either. Back in the 80's this was a good thing as the hard rear tires gave very little grip. So by creating understeer this made it driveable.

To add to this the fox has very little steering throw . I say this was done for the same reason not to loose grip in the rear. My fox has a modified steering srevo crank to achieve full lock and with modern rubber it steers so well as Capt Splat found.

Dean it was a pleasure seeing you and playing on the track.

See you next time i hope.

Front end assembled :)

p1090645.jpg

p1090646.jpg

p1090647g.jpg

Quite happy with the results. There is a little play in the plates but it will be fine for a runner. I'm sure I'll break a front arm in no time anyway.

Off to play with the back end now...

Off to play with the back end now...

OOO that sounds dirty. :)

Very nice looking there, almost looks new. I am still looking at a pile of parts to rebuild my runner and then ANOTHER for "loan" to other TC members in the North American continent. I will have to wait again through this summer as I don't know when I will find the time to rebuild two at a time. I like mine with the sway bar, but I have only really tried driving it on the beach and it seemed to run nice there. I was only playing, not trying a hard turning course or obstacles. If any luck, I should have the "loaner" ready in the fall. I can't figure out why noone has called on me to buy my NEW KIT in my traderoom. I know it isn't perfect, but it is nearly all there and the cracked chassis is extremely repairable.

Nice post on the Fox thread.

Next step completed. One stripped and cleaned gearbox.

p1090926.jpg

Also cleaned up the rear shafts and put some anit-wear grease in the hex sockets to try and preserve. Pic below of before and after.

p1090929.jpg

Pick up my re-enforced rear arms on Saturday then onto the assembly next week.

Reinforced rear arms, are those going to be custom??? Perhaps made of aluminum??? Perhaps some for sale??? Details please.

Reinforced rear arms, are those going to be custom??? Perhaps made of aluminum??? Perhaps some for sale??? Details please.

Haha I wish!!! No, I'm still waiting for someone to make alloy arms as well.

I paid a silly amount of money for some NIP arms from epay. My good friend, MAD RACER (who knows his Foxes) is using a 2 part epoxy to strengthen them before I install them.

I will post photos when I get them on the weekend.

Sorry for getting you slightly aroused :blink: