ap6318

Fox Rebuild

On the subject of rear arms. I thought I'd share this idea.

When I broke my last upper arm and saw the price fox arms were fetching on the bay I decided to try something a little different.

I trimmed down the turnbuckles out of a TL01. The hinge pins were replaced with 3x30mm screws and nylock nuts. I cut a couple of the brass sleeves in half to take out the slop and I was done. It seems actually stronger than the originals. As a bonus, I got adjustable camber into the deal.

Now all I have to do is learn to drive and this thing will cut even better lap times.

post-16612-1274256485_thumb.jpg

HMMM, those adjustable arms look nice, now we just need some alu or newer plastic lower arms. Don't worry about peaking my interest, I just need to sanction someone with a CNC machine to help all of us Fox folks out. Maybe we can beg Tamiya to rerelease the Fox, but then what would that do for us with originals, oh who cares, spares for the hardest to tinker with 2WD that Tamiya made will be worth it.

Alu rear arms... sounds great!I been thinking about that a lot.I also asked pargu2000 on ebay, he has some nice alu rims for the fox,but he never replied.Team Bluegroove had some CNC arms for the wild one,but they also never replied :blink: . Maybe this helps you a little... www.rcmagvintage.com/reviews/retro/voitures/electrique/musee/tamiya/articles/4x2/fox/foxprepatamiyabuggy61088/foxbuggy62.jpg

it's a pretty nice option i think :)

Sorry,can't upload pics ..something's wrong B)

Wow, I can't read French or whatever language that is, but it looks very much to me that they are using rear arms from a Boomerang of all things to replace the Fox arms> WOW. I too have begged Pargu to make the wheel mounts out of Alu, but he hasn't answered ever on that. I think there might be a language barrier there. When I go to rebuild my Fox runners, I will see if the lower rear arms from the Boomer will fit. Interesting.

Wow, I can't read French or whatever language that is,

I think I know what it says "curse you Red Baron" : :lol:

I have your arms ready Mark.

Well im glad that im not the only that has asked Pargu 200 about the rear fox arms.

Im pretty sur he might do some up as i think his Top rear arms from their Hot Shot metal kit should fit.

In the past when he doesn;t reply he is tooling up for it.

Problem is the Fox is not a Re Re so im not sure if he thinks its viable due to this.

I paid a silly amount of money for some NIP arms from epay. My good friend, MAD RACER (who knows his Foxes) is using a 2 part epoxy to strengthen them before I install them.

Thats it right there :)

Re-enforced rear arms? Can someone please tell me in what way the arms are re-enforsed\modded? :lol:

Here is a photo of the arms before I install them:

p1100025.jpg

I have also been doing some research into getting lower arms machined. So far things are promising, I have a machine shop interested in a small trial run - almost prototype run - of complete rear arm sets, upper and lower.

Details are still a little way off as we are still designing the most practical and cost effective way of manufacturing. If anyone has a set of machined arms or design plans/pictures please PM me.

Also, anyone wanting a set, let me know so I have an idea on numbers to make. I'm trying to keep the cost under AU$100

I dont know if I can help, but I have a collection of spares that I bought from a LHS a few years ago that had fox parts in it. if you send me your needs, I may be able to help.

Next step completed - Rear end rebuilt. Running a new Sport Tuned (thanks Brad) with 19t pinion.

p1100027.jpg

p1100031q.jpg

Bum finally re-attached to body :)

p1100032o.jpg

Just noticed I'm going to have to extend my motor wires too

p1100035.jpg

Underneath

p1100036.jpg

Here are a couple of close ups of the reinforced arms in position

p1100037.jpg

p1100038s.jpg

I won't be progressing much past this stage as the car is back at the machine shop while we try and design a functional rear arm set that doesn't weigh 10kg and wont cost the earth.

Stay posted for more info soon....

The other big problem with the Fox rear arms is they keep fracturing around the screw pins.

I do like that upper turnbuckle mod.

- James

Well, that is one way to reinforce the shock crack area, I agree though that they also crack at the screw pin area. I suppose the best way to keep all that from cracking is to use EClip ended shafts as to eliminate threading into the old plastic. I don't know if that is a certainty it won't crack, but it is a start. I would be very intrigued at a set or two of arm sets in alu for runners. Thanks for the updates, keep em coming.

Couldn't help but read this thread with interest: Here's the deal. I just dropped huge $$ on a new Haas VF-3 CNC mill, and I do R/C parts. I don't **** around, as I have to make payments, and I don't rely on anyone else- I do all my own stuff, CAD to shipping. Therefore, if someone wishes Alloy rear arms for these, I think a small batch would be plenty feasible! They look like they could be replicated fairly easily, either plain-Jane or some cutouts to shave weight/make 'em prettier. Let me know what is desired, and if one of you chaps would send me an arm to get proper measurements from (Just 1 I think: Unless they're asymmetrical, then a left & a right,) I'd send your arm(s) back & give you the 1st Alloy set free. These could potentially be done & ship within a month or so. So, talk to me Gents, maybe we can do this right. (The things below are just for cred- A flamed oil cap prototype for my Metro. Many more example here - http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2521) Chris Cazan, Rogue Element Components

post-16586-1277769876_thumb.jpg

post-16586-1277769910_thumb.jpg

Couldn't help but read this thread with interest: Here's the deal. I just dropped huge $$ on a new Haas VF-3 CNC mill, and I do R/C parts. I don't **** around, as I have to make payments, and I don't rely on anyone else- I do all my own stuff, CAD to shipping. Therefore, if someone wishes Alloy rear arms for these, I think a small batch would be plenty feasible! They look like they could be replicated fairly easily, either plain-Jane or some cutouts to shave weight/make 'em prettier. Let me know what is desired, and if one of you chaps would send me an arm to get proper measurements from (Just 1 I think: Unless they're asymmetrical, then a left & a right,) I'd send your arm(s) back & give you the 1st Alloy set free. These could potentially be done & ship within a month or so. So, talk to me Gents, maybe we can do this right. (The things below are just for cred- A flamed oil cap prototype for my Metro. Many more example here - http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2521) Chris Cazan, Rogue Element Components

Wow, thank you for replying Chris. I am actually a subscriber to your website already so I know your quality looks the goods.

I have had mixed success so far. My first price for a run of 20 arms was over AU$2,500 before even looking at bushings or hardware so is out of the question.

My arms are currently at a shop getting measured up for lazer cutting and holes milled out.

I would be happy to send you a full set of arms (upper and lower) when I get mine back from the shop with the quote.

I will send you an email in the next 24 hours to discuss further.

Thank you again for the offer to help us poor old Fox owners!

Cheers

Mark

You bet, Mark! I got into this to do R/C parts, and plan to make some stuff for vintage vehicles as I'm into 'em & I want cool parts too. (Not to be spammin' or anything, but I have some very nice Scorcher wheels for sale in my traderoom right now, my 2nd product.) Reading this thread just seemed natural, and as my overhead is so low, I can be quick and reasonable pricewise. 20 arms for $2500 means you were looking at $125 per arm?? Is that right? Yeesh! For me, the runs that most shops really don't wanna mess with is just the right size. When I started off REC, I had other shops doing my parts. Well, they pizzed me off bad enough-Acting like they were doing me a favour even talking to me, making me wait forever, and charging huge prices-That I got so mad I learned to do it myself. Maybe that's just how a big business works, I can see their point, sorta, but that don't feed the bulldog.

I'm glad you have an idea who I am: I'm brand-new here, but have been doing stuff on Scale4x4.org for years and have a good rep. I fully plan to known here also, in short order. Worry not, you'll get your arms back! Once those are in hand, I estimate a prototype within 3 days-Remember, this isn't a 'favour' or side job, it's my Full-Time job, and I love it! Definitely Email me & we'll work out the details. I think I can supply very nice product for a more-than-fair price, pretty quickly.

In the near-ish future, I'd like to do some parts for the Lunchbox/Pumpkin, and machined styrene drop-bed kits, dash kits, etc. for some vintage cars. All I need is chaps like you to tip me off as to what's wanted/needed, and then we both can be happy: Makes sense to me to make things people want. Chat soon, Chris

No, price was $2500 for 20 sets of 4 which is $125/set. Still needed bushes and screws etc so add another $10/set to the cost.

Getting some drawings from the machine shop today hopefully and hopefully do a rough cut next week to prototype them. I will keep all updated on the progress.

In the meantime, I picked the car up and extended the motor wires to get the car running and cleaned up the wheels and tyres.

p1100160.jpg

p1100159a.jpg

p1100161i.jpg

Took her for a little strap up and down the street and feels very nice. Steering is a bit weird to get used to - massive understeer on throttle and oversteer with no power. Sure it will hook up better off road.

Off to do the body and driver while I wait for the prototype arms to be made :D

I was going through my spares and came across 3 brand new mechanical speed controls (x9426 switch plate), and (x9425 switch arm) if interested, send me a message, and see if you have any spares to trade, or even Moko Chan stickers or stuff...

Fear not fellow folks, hold onto those arms in your country, Toyranosaur, I will send you some arms to work with as I am in a state nearer to you in TEXAS. I have rescued all my toys from the evil clutches of the storage lot today and can pull out the fox arms you will need, might even be attached to a tree. I will also go through my cars and find some other bits that are prone to breaking easy and see if I have a part for you to reproduce, but I am afraid I might be the rest of the year digging out all this stuff, but wish me luck and I might get to more stuff you can produce for us Tamiya geeks faster than that. Back to the Fox arms, will get you those just after the 4th or maybe as soon as Saturday of this week.

I think your steering would be a bit less sloppy on the road with the Tamiya sway bar kit, but that is just my two cents worth as it is easily going on 2 years since I was able to run my Fox on the beach. I think the other breakable parts on this car are the front arms and the gears are a very fragile kind too. If we could only find a Chrome/Gold plater as nice as Toyranosaur, we all would be some happy campers I think.

Onto the body and driver.

Here's how Tony Toudor looked whe he arrived into my custody...

p1100158t.jpg

Now has a new face and a new home :)

p1100162.jpg

The body is a little sad but definately useable for a runner. Glued up a couple of cracks in the body and also glued down all lifting decals then gave the edges a trim with a razor blade.

Here is the finished product.

p1100165.jpg

p1100164.jpg

p1100163.jpg

p1100166y.jpg

All I need to do now is get it dirty!

Took it for the maiden voyage at Boondall on the weekend but it was a little too muddy - decided to thrash the lunck box instead ;)

And for those of you wondering about the rear arms - the wheels are in motion. Hope to have some exciting news by the end of July... watch this space

Wow, that is looking better and better. Good to hear the news about the arms. I hope we can get them a little bit better priced than the first quote.

Sign me up for a pair of those alloy lower rear arms :lol:

Can I say that would like to buy some of these lower alloy arms for the Fox but as long as they are more or less exactly like or at least very close to the plastic originals (well, you know what I mean? LOL, like that guy on Ebay who sells an alloy version of the Optima U shaped front piece - the one that cracks in two every time when it's plastic, where the part looks so close to the original that it makes me happy and solves the problem).

Would be great if it was in as strong an Aluminium alloy as possible but nothing real expensive of course (there are many many alloys of Aluminium available at reasonable prices, some are actually as strong as steel but with 1/2 the weight).

And I would like it very much anodised in BLACK to look like the original plastic part. Thus would solve the problem and make me very happy LOL same as with my Optima.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm being awkward?! :D

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Here is the plan at this point: I realize you chaps want strong, pretty, low-cost arms, fast, so after several ideas back & forth we decided to make 'em out of.......Brass! Not really. Black Delrin (Acetal) is perfect- Very strong, somewhat flexible, no need for separate bushings, lightweight, looks factory, and should be very reasonable pricewise. It seems wise to use the stock hinge pins also, as they weren't the problem, it was that they stressed an inferior material and there wasn't much there either- This will not be a prob with Delrin. I'm gonna do my level best to make you chaps very happy, and I should have the proto rear arm cut by Sunday if all goes well! Just wanted to let you know we're staying on it even thougfh we haven't posted recently, stay tuned: I'll leave it to AP to keep you informed from here. By the way Mate, that Fox is...Foxy! (Do people still use that term? No? Figures.) I could see why they have such a following. Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes you can still use the term foxy - but ONLY when refering to The Fox or maybe a very attractive grandma

Yes the arms are full speed ahead - here are the pics of the first cut :)

fox1002.jpg

fox1004.jpg

Just working out some final measurements and hope to have a finished product within a month.

Stay tuned for more details soon.

PM any interest in pre-ordering