ap6318

Fox Rebuild

Those look gorgeous!

Sure wish I knew if Tamiya was re-re'ing the Fox on its original chassis or I'd get a set of these "in preparation".

Wow.

Put me down for a set Mark.

I doub,t that Tamiya will re re the Fox.

I really think they must have sold the mouldings to tawain.

Look at the Killer.

Otherwise i think Tamiya would have don it by now/ IMHO...

Personally I would want the new arms to look more "original" i.e. with the flat undeside and no bevel on the edges and with the detail around the pivot holes just like the original. Would it be so hard to do? :) Hope I'm not being too awkward for you :(

Here's the underside of the originals as a comparison from the first page ;-

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/130/p1090335.jpg

If you remove the bevels on the edges, put in the flat bottom to the arms BUT make the flat bottom THICKER, and retain the detail of the original part around the pivot holes so it looks just about identical to the original but is stronger, then I would be a lot happier with it and you would have a sure winner of a part.

And if it is too weak when designed like that in plastic, then I'd rather have an Aluminium part that looks closer to the original than a plastic part that is too unlike the original

Just my personal opinion of course.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Hi Alistair

No, you're not being awkward at all B) At this stage for a first run we are really going for practicallity and cost over trying to replicate the "look".

Saying that, if 20 members all said they would rather pay more for a product that was identical to the original we would definately go down that road.

I'm still taking pre-orders for the first run of arms so let me know this week if you would like a set as would like to get them done in the next fortnight.

Feel free to ask any questions!

If someone wants to have a go at CNC reproducing some re-inforced (by webbing) Fox rear arms I found a supplier of the ideal material, black 66EX i.e. Glass Filled Nylon, which is what Kyosho used on e.g. Optima rear arms and Schumacher uses, and Tamiya has started to use ;-

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/glass-fill...ick-1802-0.html

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Well, the Fox arm sets have finally arrived ;)

I couldn't wait to try these babies out so here are some pics of how it looks:

Step 1: Open packet and admire

p1100733x.jpg

Srep 2: Pull the back end and wheels off the car

Step 3: Remove all hinge pins and bottom suspension screw from 1 side of the car

Step 4: Line up inside top and bottom arms with rear gearbox and install hinge pins

Step 5: Cut thread for bottom shock mount with original 3mm screw then install bottom of rear shock

Step 6: Line hub carrier with arms - now here is the only tricky bit - and install outside hinge pins from the same side as the insidehinge pins - see pic - original arms are on the left

p1100735.jpg

Step 7: stop and admire your work - get drink (optional) Pic shows top arm replaced - original on left

p1100736.jpg

Step 8: Repeat steps 3 to 6

Step 9: Attach rear end back onto car

Step 10: Repeat step 7 as many times as you like :huh:

p1100737.jpg

p1100739.jpg

p1100741.jpg

p1100742.jpg

Please take note - the original hub carriers may not be 100% straight and the new arms are so a little bit of ceramic grease will help guide the hinge pins through.

The best part of all of this is there is no additional hardware required :lol: The car seems to drive exactly the same to me so I'm very happy - hopefully hitting the track tomorrow if the rain stops so will report again.

Oh yeah, this whole process (including picture taking) took me 45 mins start to finish.

I still have 7 sets of these arms left. Cost is AU$100 a set plus postage. There will not be another run for a long time - if ever so get in fast if you want a set.

Cheers

Mark

Looks Great Mark.

Can't wait to see you tomorrow to get my set.

NEXT project is Dyna Storm rear blocks hey.......

Wow! Wish I had these when I did my Fox resto! http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=40456&hl=

Nice work on the rebuild... I haven't touched my cars in a couple of years (having children where there weren't any before definitely slows the model building process) but am hoping to get my Wild One stripped and restored this winter.

Thanks for another great restoration thread!

Wow! Wish I had these when I did my Fox resto! http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=40456&hl=

Nice work on the rebuild... I haven't touched my cars in a couple of years (having children where there weren't any before definitely slows the model building process) but am hoping to get my Wild One stripped and restored this winter.

Thanks for another great restoration thread!

Cheers. I still have a few sets if ever you need them. Your fox looked great! Hope you get to run it more in the future.

Good luck with the Wild One. It was my first ever attempt at a rebuild and still my favourite runner Wild One Basketcase

Kids have sped up my build process because instead of running cars I get out in the man cave with the kids and build instead.

My Fox arms arrived and they look fantastic. It's a shame to open packet. :( Thanks!

My pleasure - open it! I ran mine again today for another worry and trouble free day of fun :(

Thanks Chris. Yes you can still use the term foxy - but ONLY when refering to The Fox or maybe a very attractive grandma

Yes the arms are full speed ahead - here are the pics of the first cut :o

fox1002.jpg

fox1004.jpg

Just working out some final measurements and hope to have a finished product within a month.

Stay tuned for more details soon.

PM any interest in pre-ordering

Hi guys, been a while since i was last on here. :) ap6318, ive noticed that you've manufactured Fox Rear Controller Arms and i was hoping that you will still have a few left to sell as my rear controller arms are old and they wont last that long. If you still do have a few left i would like to purchase some. You've done an excellent job on re making those rear arms and they look geat as well. To me, they do not need to look original but as long as they are strong and reliable im in for some arms.. Also, i have a Tamiya Thundershot that require's Front and Rear Controller Arms as well which they also have the same problem with the arms as the Fox. Please let me know of the availability of the Fox arms, and what can you do for my Thundershot Arms as well. Hope tht im not asking for to much, Cheers..Vince!

Also, Hi MAD RACER..Mark, hows the Fox going with the new arms, ive read that you've got some arms from ap6318? When your in Syd luv to catch up and get our Fox's out, mine's semi retired at the moment and collecting dust, its time to re awaken the BEAST!!! :P:D

Hi Mr Hobbie

Im sure Mark still has a couple sets of arms left.

They not cheap but are well worth it. A new set of plastic arms sell for over $40 plus post.

I have bought 2 sets but still haven't fitted them as i have had other projects to do. As well i have started racing again.

Hope to make the vintage festival but work is going to be a problem i say ( time Off)

I will let mark know that you want a set.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi guys, been a while since i was last on here. :lol: ap6318, ive noticed that you've manufactured Fox Rear Controller Arms and i was hoping that you will still have a few left to sell as my rear controller arms are old and they wont last that long. If you still do have a few left i would like to purchase some. You've done an excellent job on re making those rear arms and they look geat as well. To me, they do not need to look original but as long as they are strong and reliable im in for some arms.. Also, i have a Tamiya Thundershot that require's Front and Rear Controller Arms as well which they also have the same problem with the arms as the Fox. Please let me know of the availability of the Fox arms, and what can you do for my Thundershot Arms as well. Hope tht im not asking for to much, Cheers..Vince!

Also, Hi MAD RACER..Mark, hows the Fox going with the new arms, ive read that you've got some arms from ap6318? When your in Syd luv to catch up and get our Fox's out, mine's semi retired at the moment and collecting dust, its time to re awaken the BEAST!!! :lol::lol:

Hi Vince

I still have a few sets of fox arms left. They are $100 a set of 4 (2x top + 2x bottom arms).

Seing you are a friend of Mad Racers, I'll express post them to you for free.

PM if you would like a set or 2 and I'll pass payment details on to you.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, thx for getting back to me about the Rear Controller Arms. Now that i know that you still have some arms left would you be able to put aside the set of 4 for $100 for me and also my bro. At the moment im not working due to an injury( Left knee) i mite need an opo on it soon, if it wasn't for the injury i would have bought the arms of you now but i need to wait..Ive spoken to my bro 2day inregards to the arms and he would like the set of 4 as well, so a set for me and him thats a total of $200 once i have the money ill inform you ASAP.

Cheers Vince!! :)

Hi Vince

I still have a few sets of fox arms left. They are $100 a set of 4 (2x top + 2x bottom arms).

Seing you are a friend of Mad Racers, I'll express post them to you for free.

PM if you would like a set or 2 and I'll pass payment details on to you.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, thx for informing Mark / ap6318 about the arms for me much appreciated. Chat soon.. Vince :P

Hi Mr Hobbie

Im sure Mark still has a couple sets of arms left.

They not cheap but are well worth it. A new set of plastic arms sell for over $40 plus post.

I have bought 2 sets but still haven't fitted them as i have had other projects to do. As well i have started racing again.

Hope to make the vintage festival but work is going to be a problem i say ( time Off)

I will let mark know that you want a set.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark, thx for getting back to me about the Rear Controller Arms. Now that i know that you still have some arms left would you be able to put aside the set of 4 for $100 for me and also my bro. At the moment im not working due to an injury( Left knee) i mite need an opo on it soon, if it wasn't for the injury i would have bought the arms of you now but i need to wait..Ive spoken to my bro 2day inregards to the arms and he would like the set of 4 as well, so a set for me and him thats a total of $200 once i have the money ill inform you ASAP.

Cheers Vince!! :(

No problem Vince

2 sets with your name on them on hold.

Any chance of Falcon "R" parts (front shock towers) being made?

I'm sure you'd sell plenty! :D

Put my name down for sure!

Any chance of Falcon "R" parts (front shock towers) being made?

I'm sure you'd sell plenty! :rolleyes:

Put my name down for sure!

Unfortunately this isn't a cheap process so i'm in no hurry to try different parts anytime soon - I can put you in touch with the guy that made these for me if you want to.