Sign in to follow this  
TamiyaVancouver

Re Re Frog Front Suspension Questions

I recently purchased and received my CRA front suspension tower and have a couple of questions:

1. the instrucctions call for the use of 55-75mm shocks. Does anyone have this setup and can you recommend a shock length or particular brand for bashing?

2. did you keep the front horizontal shocks in the chassis or did you remove them when you installed the CRA piece?

Thanks,

Mark

I recently purchased and received my CRA front suspension tower and have a couple of questions:

1. the instrucctions call for the use of 55-75mm shocks. Does anyone have this setup and can you recommend a shock length or particular brand for bashing?

2. did you keep the front horizontal shocks in the chassis or did you remove them when you installed the CRA piece?

Thanks,

Mark

55mm shocks are ideal for the front, 60mm at most. I have the Yeah racing ones, I think 60mm, and they aren't bad. they come with three different springs.

If you use coilovers, you should remove the stock internal front springs, as if you leave them in the front suspension will be way too hard, and the car will understeer like crazy.

The front suspension arms are quite short, and there isn't much weight over the front wheels; you will need to use soft springs and oil to get it working right.

- James

Thanks for the info. I have heard the term "coilover" used to mean different things in the 1:1 world. Do you mean a shock with the spring around it (like the stock rear frog suspension setup?)

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, coil spring over oil damper in one unit, like the rears.

SRBs are an example of a cars that just have plain oil dampers, the torsion bars and front springs are not part of the damper units.

Just checking... Did you mean the CRP front damper towers, or do you have a different shock tower?

- James

Yes, coil spring over oil damper in one unit, like the rears.

SRBs are an example of a cars that just have plain oil dampers, the torsion bars and front springs are not part of the damper units.

Just checking... Did you mean the CRP front damper towers, or do you have a different shock tower?

- James

Mine are the CRA front towers.

th_BknHZBGkKGrHqIH-D4Es9Fzc5yCBLYRIhtI.jpg

I noticed that most of the 55mm yeah racing dampers I have found are for touring/road cars. Is this okay?

Thanks,

Mark

Ah, I hadn't seen those. Cool.

I noticed that most of the 55mm yeah racing dampers I have found are for touring/road cars. Is this okay?

Yup, it'll be fine.

Looking at those towers, I can see how any size shocks from 55m to 75mm would fit using the different holes. I'd say 55mm is a bit too short and might not offer enough stroke. I'd suggest going somewhere in the middle, eg 60mm-70mm.

Are you replacing the rear shocks too, or just adding front ones? You could also try the original rear shocks on the front to check them for length, to keep the car looking consistent all roud, but if you actually use them on the front the springs are a bit hard, you'd need to find softer springs.

- James

Ah, I hadn't seen those. Cool.

Yup, it'll be fine.

Looking at those towers, I can see how any size shocks from 55m to 75mm would fit using the different holes. I'd say 55mm is a bit too short and might not offer enough stroke. I'd suggest going somewhere in the middle, eg 60mm-70mm.

Are you replacing the rear shocks too, or just adding front ones? You could also try the original rear shocks on the front to check them for length, to keep the car looking consistent all roud, but if you actually use them on the front the springs are a bit hard, you'd need to find softer springs.

- James

I went with some 65mm shock/springs off Ebay. Hopefully they'll work fine.

Mark

th_BknHZBGkKGrHqIH-D4Es9Fzc5yCBLYRIhtI.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Interesting shock towers, are they still available(where)? :mellow:

Interesting shock towers, are they still available(where)? :mellow:

They were bought off the large auction site. Your choice of smileys leads me to believe you already knew that or have had your own experience with this part. If it's the latter, hopefully your experience was positive.

Mark

Wow nice looking frog, is it a runner or shelf queen?

will def be a runner

They were bought off the large auction site. Your choice of smileys leads me to believe you already knew that or have had your own experience with this part. If it's the latter, hopefully your experience was positive.

Mark

Couldn't find them, wold you mind pm'ing me the link to the page? Thanks!

That is a massive amount of shocktower/shocks for such a light front end. Looks like these parts would be better suited for a Blackfoot. Looks really cool, though.

Can anyone help me find these Frog CRA parts? i am looking for the CRA rear anti-sway bar kit, i wanted the front shock tower kit too but ended up buying a CRP front shock mount setup instead..just cant seem to find any of the CRA gear anymore!! i swear i saw some on ebay last week.. :blink:

Can anyone help me find these Frog CRA parts? i am looking for the CRA rear anti-sway bar kit, i wanted the front shock tower kit too but ended up buying a CRP front shock mount setup instead..just cant seem to find any of the CRA gear anymore!! i swear i saw some on ebay last week.. :blink:

hi mate

he seems to list in batches.he usually relists,but sometimes it takes a week or 2.

if you search completed listings on ebay you will find past auction from cra.you can then email him and ask when .im sure hes a member on this forum too,but cant remember his username.

if you do a search on here ,maybe just "cra" you may find him?

His ebay user name is rob101, search for him, add him to favourite sellers, add a subscription and you will be notified when he lists stuff. I've used a few of his parts and can def recommend them..

I finally got my CRA and 65mm Yeah Racing shocks mounted last night. I had to get some custom hardware and inprovise a bit. IMHO the instructions provided by CRA leave out a few minor details. I removed the stock front springs but you also need to swap around the black plastic suspension blocks so that you get the upward suspension travel required for the front shocks. The way the suspension blocks are installed in stock form allows a tab on one of the blocks to push on the stock spring. When this spring is removed, the tab contacts the chassis inhibiting upward travel of the front suspension. The supplied brass bushings also need to be installed precisely between the front uprights. If they are not entirely between the uprights, when the screws that come with the front tower kit are tightened, it compresses the uprights and the black suspension blocks don't move freely. I think I may swap the screws provided by CRA and just continue to use the kit supplied step screws. All in all I think the kit is good, but it isn't a direct bolt up kit by any stretch. I used the softest springs and 200 weight oil because the frotn end is quite light. Haven't had a chance to road test yet, but it looks quite sharp.

Mark

Mark: Glad to hear you got it fitted up please let us know how it runs! Mind if i ask where you got your Yeah Racing shocks from?

Thanks also for the CRA ebay seller info guys i shall keep an eye out for his next listings. :blink:

Mark: Glad to hear you got it fitted up please let us know how it runs! Mind if i ask where you got your Yeah Racing shocks from?

Thanks also for the CRA ebay seller info guys i shall keep an eye out for his next listings. :blink:

PM sent.

I finally got my CRA and 65mm Yeah Racing shocks mounted last night. I had to get some custom hardware and inprovise a bit. IMHO the instructions provided by CRA leave out a few minor details. I removed the stock front springs but you also need to swap around the black plastic suspension blocks so that you get the upward suspension travel required for the front shocks. The way the suspension blocks are installed in stock form allows a tab on one of the blocks to push on the stock spring. When this spring is removed, the tab contacts the chassis inhibiting upward travel of the front suspension. The supplied brass bushings also need to be installed precisely between the front uprights. If they are not entirely between the uprights, when the screws that come with the front tower kit are tightened, it compresses the uprights and the black suspension blocks don't move freely. I think I may swap the screws provided by CRA and just continue to use the kit supplied step screws. All in all I think the kit is good, but it isn't a direct bolt up kit by any stretch. I used the softest springs and 200 weight oil because the frotn end is quite light. Haven't had a chance to road test yet, but it looks quite sharp.

Mark

Interested to see pics of how it turned out.

- James