Sign in to follow this  
loonynino

Help Please!

Hi guys, im new to rc. I bought a used Tamiya Hummer recently. It did not come with a motor, therefore, no pinion. First i tried a silvercan from a twin motor monster truck, i think it was a clone of the dual hunter. I assume this is 27T. Found a 20t pinion from a tc3 touring car that fits. Wehey!!! :(

I used a mtronics Eco 27 esc, it ran 5 minutes maybe less, in my back grass garden, then started losing power and just stopped. i thought it was the nimh 1800mah battery so i changed it and used a 7.2v lipo off my rc heli, and it was the same. Oh and both batteries became quite hot too.

Please HELP!!!! :)

Where does one start..

When you say you have a Tamiya Hummer, I assume you mean this one http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=160

The 20t pinion gear, if it was taken from an Associated TC3, then it will be 48dp, and will be incorrect for the Tamiya TA 01/02 chassis that comes with the Tamiya Hummer.. You will need a 0.6 Module or otherwise known as "AV" pitch Metric pinion to suit your Hummer.. Sadly, one reason why your car stopped is that the 20T 48dp pinion may have stripped the plastic 0.6 spur gear in the gearbox due to an incorrect gear mesh..

If motor that came from the clone dual hunter may look like a silver can, but may not be 27 turns... Quite a few of these Chinese copies use motors with less than 27 turns, and the HBX copies of the TL01 / Baja King used a 20 turn motor..

The Eco 27 ESC is rated for motors with 27 or more turns (eg 28t, 35t etc).. If the motor you are using is a 27 turn "kit" 540 motor then you should be OK.. But if is a 20 turn then you run the risk of overheating the ESC, and having it cutout on thermal..

Running on Grass always creates more load, so will shorten run time considerably...

Batteries... Yes, batteries will get quite warm after a run... The quality of some batteries on the market today is questionable, so 5 mins runtime may be all that you will get from your 1800 battery.. The capacity of the battery eg 1800mAh is directly proportional to runtime.. If you would like for your car to run longer, then you will need to buy some batteries with a higher capacity..

I would NOT recommend using the LiPo out of your heli again, as many of these LiPo's are too small, and are not rated to take the additional current draw or load of an RC car...

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is the hummer, :(

Im pretty sure the gears are fine for now, as i have tried the hummer again with another esc and motor. Ohh, very useful information about pinion gear, now i know what im looking for :P

I found an Ansmann sirius SE esc, 18T limit, and an ansmann clash 21t for it. I think this esc is faulty, as forward and reverese keep changing on its own lol. :) And almost blown my heli lipo 7.2 800mah.

Hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky.

Im getting a etronix probe 12T esc tomorrow, that should run the 21turn no probs. And also, im using a tower pro MG995 servo, Traxxas 27am rx and traxxas tq3 tx. I will let you know how it went.

Just 1 more thing, i use a NX82 dual output auto peak charger 5amp charger, and my batteries can get pretty hot. Takes about 15 minutes to charge 1800mah nimh pack. Is it ok or should i invest in a proper charger? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks again for your helpful advices.