Toccata

Df-02 Truggy Advice Needed From Old Hands

Hi all. I'll try to be succinct with this description. Basically I need help with converting a DF-02 Sand Viper into a basher 'stadium truck' (term used loosely).

I've seen this done with the 'Stadium Gator' in Eddystone's showroom (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=50255) and in a thread on another website which I now can't retrace. I'm not concerned about the truck body - the purpose is to spruce up the first kit I built which was good but never had the ground clearance to handle grass and rougher terrains well.

Based on what I've seen done online it seems I'll need rims and tires (maybe HPIs like Eddystone and Geolanders or Dirt Hawgs which I've been told have stronger sidewalls?..), new hex adaptors and a capable motor. So...

1) Would the appropriate hexes be the 'HPI universal 12mm hex' mentioned in other threads and do they require any other bits or modification? Eddystone's Gator used Blackfoot turnbuckles from memory so I'll go with those for the extra shaft width. All this stuff will be ordered online so I want to be thorough now and save extra wait time.

2) Without changing more than the pinion (there are motor mounts for 17t and 19t and I don't fancy adding extras) what turn / wind motor should I be looking at with the goal of not 'burning out the motor' as the LHS has warned me of. Thinking 540 simply because the LRP Runner Reverse ESC the car is likely to end up with doesn't mention use of 550 motors.

3) Without opening up too much of a can of worms, what are some trustworthy oil shocks to purchase as the stock shocks were donated to other projects. The lower the price while not leaking the better...

I imagine that should be it. I'll upgrade to alloy parts if / when the plastics break and won't worry about mounting a truck shell or changing the wheelbase for now. Is there anything that I've missed?

Lots of questions I know, but any advice (aside from 'buy another car' which has been vetoed by my better half) is welcome.

Thanks!

Lots of questions I know, but any advice (aside from 'buy another car' which has been vetoed by my better half) is welcome.

To do it properly would probably cost more than a new car, and the sand viper isn't a great base for a stadium truck given the gearing. new wheels, tyres, shocks would set you back as much as an ansmann macnum (£45) for example!

otherwise, you could use tamiya stadium thunder or similar wheels (front and rear) which have the right fitting to start with for both ends (i assume they should clear the suspension)

Thanks for the tips. It needs the replacement shocks to get it back driveable if nothing else so I'll check around the forums for suggestions.

I have done this conversion myself. It handles just as good as a Stadium thunder and the like. I used Stadium wheels and tyres (the rears wear very quick on tarmac) and had to swap the front axles to king blackfoot ones if i remember correctly, as the standard DT02 ones that come on the sand viper are not long enough for stadium thunder wheels.

I have done this conversion myself. It handles just as good as a Stadium thunder and the like. I used Stadium wheels and tyres (the rears wear very quick on tarmac) and had to swap the front axles to king blackfoot ones if i remember correctly, as the standard DT02 ones that come on the sand viper are not long enough for stadium thunder wheels.

What motor, esc and gear ratio did you use for yours? I'm currently researching the whole gearing thing to get a better handle on why it isn't naturally suited, but if I can overcome that through part selection then great. If not, oh well... it stays a buggy :unsure:

INTERESTING FIRST STOP IN RESEARCH: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2587132/...e_1/key_/tm.htm

Optimum gearing spreadsheet midway down the page...

not sure which pinion i'm running but the motor is a 19x1 with an unlimited ripmax esc (quake). Will try and have a look at it tonight when i get home.

I'm running a 19t pinion and the ball diff, which is tightened fully then backed off 1/2 a turn.