Sign in to follow this  
Malakite

Does Anyone Know When New Re-re's Come Out/are Planned?

Wandy, you are usually a source of reason in this world, but I can't let the comment about the Sand Rover and Holiday buggy go by unchallenged B)

The chassis was great, except the front shocks, rear gearbox and openness that allowed every bit of the road to get into the electrics :) It was as if they didn't want them to last the weekend! My information tells me this will not be reissued, but as the Scorcher and Buggy Champ told us, never say never.

Regarding the Porsche 959, you are quite right, this is my information too, that they would struggle, but lets be frank, myself and another chap called Terry who was hitherto infallible (I am not suggesting we are in the same infallible league, simply that we both made the same mistake) said they would never re issue the SRB and until I heard the news I believed it would never happen.

It has been hinted that I know a little about the re issue plans. I do actually know there will be some startling news this year, but I have to say that I haven't even told my wife, so sorry guys, keep guessing :)

The truth is, however, anyone could make the comment above, it could be discounted as pure speculation, or an attempt to get some glory if some exciting news happened to also come out, so draw your own conclusions. Now I said ruomours were dangerous!

Now if that isn't worse than Chris's Scorcher re issue hoax, I don't know what is!

Paul.

The chassis is pants, no two ways about it for me - no dampening and that front suspension has all the angles out of whack. They do have a ton of charm, but it's largely from the bodyshell, not the chassis.

Of course, but it may actually be cheaper to use existing production undercarriages than re-mould the original (which admittedly must be very cheap to produce once the moulds are created).

Don't get me wrong, I know the chassis is pretty poor but I just think they wouldn't have to do much with it to improve those obvious faults. Just add a sealed gearbox & some improved suspension. Just enough to make it appealing to Dads looking to buy their 10 year olds their first "serious" R/C.

Of course they know that us oldies will buy it but they still have to be able to justify it's existence in the 21st century as a decent runner whilst of course staying pure to the original design, just like they have with all of the previous reissues.

Wandy, you are usually a source of reason in this world.....

Why thankyou....not sure how many on here would agree with that mind B)

The chassis was great, except the front shocks, rear gearbox and openness that allowed every bit of the road to get into the electrics :) It was as if they didn't want them to last the weekend! My information tells me this will not be reissued, but as the Scorcher and Buggy Champ told us, never say never.

Regarding the Porsche 959, you are quite right, this is my information too, that they would struggle, but lets be frank, myself and another chap called Terry who was hitherto infallible (I am not suggesting we are in the same infallible league, simply that we both made the same mistake) said they would never re issue the SRB and until I heard the news I believed it would never happen.

Like I said above though, it was only really issued as an extreme entry level buggy back in the day so they would merely do the same now, albeit made for the 2010 market.

I really don't see the 959 coming back...not on the original chassis anyway. I enjoyed my debates with you and Terry but I'm firmly on the same page as you regarding that particular re-re.

It has been hinted that I know a little about the re issue plans. I do actually know there will be some startling news this year, but I have to say that I haven't even told my wife, so sorry guys, keep guessing :)

Without giving too much away...are we talking another 1980's re-re?

It has been hinted that I know a little about the re issue plans. I do actually know there will be some startling news this year, but I have to say that I haven't even told my wife, so sorry guys, keep guessing B)

Come on then, spill the beans buddy :) Seriosuly though, how do you know these things, do you have contacts in China? :)

China has nothing to do with it.

Time to start backpedalling...

P.

China has nothing to do with it.

Time to start backpedalling...

P.

Japan then B)

Paul, just answer me this. Will the community be overwhelmed or underwhelmed?

Of course they know that us oldies will buy it

Amen. They have both our credit cards there B)

but they still have to be able to justify it's existence in the 21st century as a decent runner whilst of course staying pure to the original design,

Agreed, where possible and where it's not a crazy expensive thing to do.

just like they have with all of the previous reissues.

Many of which are on a new chassis.

New chassis did not stop me buying the Black Porsche, and it wouldn't stop me buying a Sand Rover and Holiday Buggy.

Actually maybe that's an interesting question. If Tamiya re-moulded the Sand Rover body, called it a "re-re" Sand Rover with the box-art and everything else, but it was on a, say, DT-02 chassis, would you buy one ?

It could go on the SRB chassis....

Plus yes, I would buy them B)

It has gotten so bad, Mr Tamiya is on my list of second credit card holders. he gets a new one of mine everytime mine runs out, along with the wife etc.

P

why would he need to be a supplementary cardholder? :)

don't they just ship the cartons out then accounts invoice you every EOM? B)

Has anyone noticed a pattern as to what is re-released (barring a few improvements in some cases) in the original form, what's re-re'd on a different chassis, and what's completely redesigned?

It all seems a bit random to me ...

For example, if the 959 was re-released, there would as far as I can see be equal chances of it being re-released:

- in completely original form

- with the original shell on a modern (probably M-type chassis)

- as a 1:10 styrene body on a modern chassis (TT01?), or a RTR Tamtech gear

?!

As for this hypothetical re-release of the Sand Rover & Holiday Buggy, I think the original chassis does have a lot going for it:

- it's incredibly simple, and therefore cheap,

- with the trailing arm front & torsion rear suspension it's very much like the VW based 1:1 cars it's modelled on (much like the SRB - but way cheaper),

- it's the original - which counts for a lot with nostalgic 30- (soon to be 40-) somethings like me

It does have some weaknesses (the weak front suspension tops on the chassis, the open gearbox, and all of the electrics being more open to the elements than is normal), but I don't see these being a huge bar to using the chassis - surely milling a bit more off the mould to reinforce the front struts & some sort of vacformed chassis/gearbox cover is less work than tooling up for new body mounts for, say, the Grasshopper/Hornet chassis?

Bruiser.

Wow, what a choice, well that would certainly make a lot of people very happy!

Aren't there more likely choices though?

Paul.

Bruiser.

If a new buggy champ/sand scorcher cost around $300 what would a bruiser cost with all that metal. I would love to see a bruiser/mounty release but how likely would that be and how much would that cost?

That is a good question and cost was often what put people off the idea of a Scorcher/Rough Rider re issue. In fact the item turned out half as expensive as the estimates, Terry suggested, as did I, that it would have to retail for around $1000 and sell for around $500 online to be possible, as it turned out, they managed it for half that, but there were loads of quality and moulding compromises made (there are loads of people complaining about the blister glue, the shape of the Scorcher body etc, but I don't really want to turn this thread into an argument about that!).

The Bruiser kit is twice the size easily, so if they were to remake it in the same vein as the Scorcher (in other words, using the old metal chassis and a very close body, rather than the new 3 speed chassis and a very close body) it would have a box more than twice the size in volume, 3 times the weight (at least, both of which add to international shipping costs for freight) and be way more expensive to make than the new Sand Scorcher. The Mountaineer retailed at 39000 YEN and the Scorcher at 19000 YEN, so the Bruiser we could extrapolate could easily cost more than twice as much to make nowadays than the new Scorcher, hence a retail price of $1000 and actual selling price of closer to $600.

This pure idle speculation is wonderful :)

Paul.

Wow, what a choice, well that would certainly make a lot of people very happy!

Aren't there more likely choices though?

Paul.

It was mainly a reaction to your "startling" comment. The FAV/Wild One/Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover/Astute are a given if you ask me and don't constitute as being a startling re-release.

I've always been in the "never in a million years" camp with regard to the re-emergence of the old 3 speeds but I have the feeling that the SRB project went much better than anticipated and they may be prepared to take the risk of a re-re Bruiser with a price tag of ~£350 and a few design improvements here and there.

I don't believe 1980s production issues and costs can be applied to 2010. Not saying I'm convinced it will happen, just that I'm now prepared to consider the possibility.

The one area we know is not an issue is that of licencing.

If they did the updates on the re-re frog/brat, SS/BC I wounder if they did re-re a bruiser would it have the F350/hilux axles and transmission or would the just release the bruiser body on that chassis?

Can the Bruiser body be fitted to a SRB chassis? (see clue in above post)

So my guess would be a Super Champ :D , but it'll probably be the Ranger. :(

:)

Some have stated (Wandy, for one!) that the Ranger and Super Champ will never be re issued, because Tamiya have:

1) used up all interest in the new chassis with the Scorcher and Buggy Champ

2) stick to maximum 2 cars per chassis re issue program.

Paul.

Some have stated (Wandy, for one!) that the Ranger and Super Champ will never be re issued, because Tamiya have:

Paul.

Is all the interest running out now? I'm not sure. For some yes, but for me no. I don't have either a Buggy Champ or a Sand Scorcher, but I do remember when I was younger drooling over pictures of the Super Champ in a Tamiya brochure. It seemed so sophisticated against my Sand Rover. So I'd definitely buy one. Am I unique in this thinking, I doubt it, but I live in hope that some day I will be able to get one. :where's the wishful thinking smilie?:

Just because they have historically done something, doesn't mean they will continue with the same pattern of only re-issuing a maximum of 2 cars per chassis. So I'd say anything could happen.

Let the debate continue.

Is all the interest running out now? I'm not sure. For some yes, but for me no. I don't have either a Buggy Champ or a Sand Scorcher, but I do remember when I was younger drooling over pictures of the Super Champ in a Tamiya brochure. It seemed so sophisticated against my Sand Rover. So I'd definitely buy one. Am I unique in this thinking, I doubt it, but I live in hope that some day I will be able to get one. ...

I've been holding out for the Super Champ too :(

Paul.

And I maintain that position. :) ....although I'll gleefully be proved wrong, particularly if it's the Super Champ that's coming. I have a feeling though that it will be the Ranger if one of those two is on the way.