Sign in to follow this  
Malakite

Does Anyone Know When New Re-re's Come Out/are Planned?

Can the Bruiser body be fitted to a SRB chassis? (see clue in above post)

I think loaded was talking about fitting the Holiday Buggy/ Sand Rover bodyshells to the SRB chassis. Correct, Paul?

Yes, I have a Super Champ chassis with a Sand Rover shell, I imagine the Sand Scorcher re issue chassis could easily be fitted, but I haven't tried to be truthful.

Paul.

It was mainly a reaction to your "startling" comment. The FAV/Wild One/Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover/Astute are a given if you ask me and don't constitute as being a startling re-release.

I've always been in the "never in a million years" camp with regard to the re-emergence of the old 3 speeds but I have the feeling that the SRB project went much better than anticipated and they may be prepared to take the risk of a re-re Bruiser with a price tag of ~£350 and a few design improvements here and there.

I don't believe 1980s production issues and costs can be applied to 2010. Not saying I'm convinced it will happen, just that I'm now prepared to consider the possibility.

The one area we know is not an issue is that of licencing.

Well said, agree with that! :)

Ok, here's my view, my opinions, my estimates, all of them wrong. :)

A re-release of:

the Super Champ = Nice. It was my first Tamiya and "hobby grade" R/C kit. I'll buy two. Not startling, though, since the chassis is so similar to the BC and SS. I'd say 50% probability of re-release.

the original SRB-based F-150 = Yeah, ok. I'll get one. Not startling, though. I don't remember it being as popular as the other SRBs. 30% probability of re-release.

the original Toyota HiLux = Startling. Would never expect it at least not in all metal like the original. 5% probability of re-release.

the original Toyota HiLux with the plastic 3-speed transmission and straight chassis rails = Meh. I might buy one, not sure. I already have a Toyota High Lift and it might be too similar. Not startling. Disappointment type of feeling, really. 8% probability.

the Fox = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 65% probability.

the Wild One = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 65% probability.

the FAV = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 60% probability.

the Holiday Buggy = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 70% probability.

the Sand Rover = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 70% probability.

the Astute = Ok. Maybe buy one. Not startling. 45% probability.

the original Falcon = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 50% probability.

the Bruiser = Startling. Would never expect it at least not in all metal like the original. 20% probability.

the Bruiser with the plastic 3-speed transmission and straight chassis rails = Same as the plastic HiLux above. Meh. 25% probability.

the Blazing Blazer = Startling, because it was never a very popular model. I doubt this one. 5% probability.

Any others I missed?

Thinking about that was fun, even though I'm totally wrong!

When I was on holiday a few weeks ago, I stopped into NZ's national tamiya distributor, mainly to see if I could pilfer some NOS parts

(didn't happen, he rid of them some time ago). Anyway he asked specifically what I wanted, and me being put on the spot, said "Nothing in particular, I'm just into vintage RC tamiya's, and came to see if you had any old stock to sell" we started talking about vintage RC and he had the huge 'Tamiya first 100' poster on the wall (in hindsight, i should have asked for that!), and he was pointing out RC's on it as we were discussing re-releases.

He said that he had heard "The Fox" was going to be re-re'd. How and where this info came about I didn't ask. But it lost all credability

with me when he couldn't name each re-release on the RC100 chart he was pointing out to. He then proceeded to try and sell me a re-re sand scorcher for full retail (No thanks, I'd rather give my LHS the profit). Seemed a nice enough guy though.

But it lost all credability with me when he couldn't name each re-release on the RC100 chart he was pointing out to.

LOL. Distributors.

H.

Wandy, you are usually a source of reason in this world, but I can't let the comment about the Sand Rover and Holiday buggy go by unchallenged :blink:

The chassis was great, except the front shocks, rear gearbox and openness that allowed every bit of the road to get into the electrics B) It was as if they didn't want them to last the weekend! My information tells me this will not be reissued, but as the Scorcher and Buggy Champ told us, never say never.

Regarding the Porsche 959, you are quite right, this is my information too, that they would struggle, but lets be frank, myself and another chap called Terry who was hitherto infallible (I am not suggesting we are in the same infallible league, simply that we both made the same mistake) said they would never re issue the SRB and until I heard the news I believed it would never happen.

It has been hinted that I know a little about the re issue plans. I do actually know there will be some startling news this year, but I have to say that I haven't even told my wife, so sorry guys, keep guessing :)

The truth is, however, anyone could make the comment above, it could be discounted as pure speculation, or an attempt to get some glory if some exciting news happened to also come out, so draw your own conclusions. Now I said ruomours were dangerous!

Now if that isn't worse than Chris's Scorcher re issue hoax, I don't know what is!

Paul.

Paul, do you know when this startling news will be revealed ?? The placement on a SRB chassis lends to a Ford Ranger maybe? I am holding out for a bruiser and or 959. I need more details.... I slipped up and spilled the beans around the wife and she is grilling me for a cost expenditure projection !!

Regards, Eddie :D

Ok, here's my view, my opinions, my estimates, all of them wrong. ;)

A re-release of:

the Super Champ = Nice. It was my first Tamiya and "hobby grade" R/C kit. I'll buy two. Not startling, though, since the chassis is so similar to the BC and SS. I'd say 50% probability of re-release.

the original SRB-based F-150 = Yeah, ok. I'll get one. Not startling, though. I don't remember it being as popular as the other SRBs. 30% probability of re-release.

the original Toyota HiLux = Startling. Would never expect it at least not in all metal like the original. 5% probability of re-release.

the original Toyota HiLux with the plastic 3-speed transmission and straight chassis rails = Meh. I might buy one, not sure. I already have a Toyota High Lift and it might be too similar. Not startling. Disappointment type of feeling, really. 8% probability.

the Fox = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 65% probability.

the Wild One = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 65% probability.

the FAV = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 60% probability.

the Holiday Buggy = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 70% probability.

the Sand Rover = Pass. Not startling. Was never interested. 70% probability.

the Astute = Ok. Maybe buy one. Not startling. 45% probability.

the original Falcon = Cool. I'll buy one. Not startling. I hope it is coming. 50% probability.

the Bruiser = Startling. Would never expect it at least not in all metal like the original. 20% probability.

the Bruiser with the plastic 3-speed transmission and straight chassis rails = Same as the plastic HiLux above. Meh. 25% probability.

the Blazing Blazer = Startling, because it was never a very popular model. I doubt this one. 5% probability.

Any others I missed?

Thinking about that was fun, even though I'm totally wrong!

Good post, makes interesting reading, and you are as correct as anyone of us guessing :)

A possible tell tail sign is look a the Japanese market to see if more than usual NIB of old models being put up for sale. The locals or even TC members from Japan may have a better scoop on what Tamiya will re-release next or soon as local conditions are more easily pick up by locals than.

Maybe TC member at MIT or Nasa can make a RC nano fly with a listening devise and attach itself to Mr. Tamiya office, the Planning department, etc to get an inside scoop. ;)

A possible tell tail sign is look a the Japanese market to see if more than usual NIB of old models being put up for sale. The locals or even TC members from Japan may have a better scoop on what Tamiya will re-release next or soon as local conditions are more easily pick up by locals than.

Maybe TC member at MIT or Nasa can make a RC nano fly with a listening devise and attach itself to Mr. Tamiya office, the Planning department, etc to get an inside scoop. :blink:

Definitely. Also you'd be really miffed wouldn't you if you purchased an old classic Tamiya NIB for there to then be a re-re a couple of months later! I dare say that must have happened to a few people on here?!

The clairvoyants here are very very good ... :blink:

The Holiday Buggy re-re is very real. A reliable source suggests a Japanese Summer release (Aug) with original chassis and 380 motor. Price is likely to be entry level.

I do hope the Sand Rover is released too - not much of a Holiday Buggy fan myself.

The Holiday Buggy re-re is very real. A reliable source suggests a Japanese Summer release (Aug) with original chassis and 380 motor. Price is likely to be entry level.

Hmmm, I heard same body, new chassis...

Perhaps they'll improve on things that were lacking in the original ... like a sealed gearbox or cover for the bathtub? Will update if I get more info.

i really hope there is a holiday buggy rere. that will be a nice build

i wonder what chassis is the candidate for it?

i think it may lose some of its character without the comedy suspension though.

perhaps beef up the front mounts, and put a cover on the gearbox. that'll do.

sounds interesting though, either way.

The clairvoyants here are very very good ... :lol:

I do hope the Sand Rover is released too - not much of a Holiday Buggy fan myself.

yes!!!!..another one to add to my collection :blink:

You gotta see them doing the Ranger surely, plus the Ranger shell could be used on the blackfoot chassis when they get round to that (and Monster beetle using SS shell already being made?), just my tuppence worth.

Cheers

What about a re-re Cheetah? Simple to tool up presumably given the re-re XR311 about 10 years ago, and it follows the pattern of two cars off the same chassis... But I guess it depends on how popular the kit was first time around, and whether there were or would be any licencing issues with Lamborghini. Any views?

i'd buy one

i missed the xr311 rere. looked like a nice old school build too.

Definitely. Also you'd be really miffed wouldn't you if you purchased an old classic Tamiya NIB for there to then be a re-re a couple of months later! I dare say that must have happened to a few people on here?!

Not necessarily . An original is just that, an original ;). The re're's are for fun running !