casethejoint

Best Degreaser For Old Srb's ?

New SuperChamp "donor" for my project arrived today.

Stripped it and have bits sitting in degreaser. But the degreaser is quite old, and doesn't seem to be doing the job it used to (either that or it's the wrong type).

Gearbox was chock full of a combination of Petroleum Jelly and what looks like 1:1 car grease (Castrol maybe - the green stuff). Surprised it ever ran at all - never seen a tighter gearbox!

Any tips on it's removal? I removed as much as I could with toothpicks and kitchen roll, it's the last bit. My old degreaser not really cutting it.

I'm thinking petrol might do the trick ? Or are there better commercial product alternatives?

Don't mind leaving it in something for a week if that's what it takes. Not looking for instant fix.

Thanks!

I've had some success with heavy duty oven cleaner in getting old car grease (the black stuff) out of a gearbox in the past. The end result was a crystal clean gearbox, ready to be rebuilt.

Spray, then rinse under hot water. Keep spraying and rinsing. It can take a little time. When there's not much left, use a toothbrush as well. Remember to wear gloves, and do it in a well ventilated area, as the fumes can be nasty.

cheers,

H.

Aaah, caustic soda. Strip paint. Remove grease. Burn skin. Is there anything it can't do? (Besides the Polka)

- James

I've used mineral spirits and paint thinner with good success. It won't start eating the finish like caustic soda or oven cleaner will do.

Kerosene. If you use oven cleaner or caustic soda / sodium hydroxide (even know i am a big fan of NaOH for other purposes), you will risk eating the aluminium part of the "pot metal" leaving the surface a dark burnt grey. Even some of the spray degreeses contain pH modifiers (bases' / alkalis') to assist in breaking the stickyness of the greese, just like washing up liquid. Check the side of the can, does it say, not for use on aluminium / magnesium wheels?? The hydrocarbon kerosene will (in time) break down most grease and is safe on pot metal like the srb gear boxes.

parafin and elbow grease

or get some "gunk" - automotive degreaser. great stuff

I was going to use washing up liquid but reading this thread it doesn't look like will be strong enough !

Anyone tried this?

I was going to use washing up liquid but reading this thread it doesn't look like will be strong enough !

Anyone tried this?

Washing up liquid was fairly useless for me. You get more off just by scrubbing with old toothbrushes. Assume some of the more caustic stuff mentioned above might be better, though some of the ground in pinion dust might never shift from old white plastic gears?

P

WD-40 will break down and clean grease covered parts but so will Kerosene, i use Kerosene to clean my Motorbike chains too its good stuff and wont harm plastics or rubber.

Cheers.

I used cycle chain cleaner - smells of orange, soak it on, scrub, wash off with water and a quick blast from an air line and everything came up very clean!

New SuperChamp "donor" for my project arrived today.

Stripped it and have bits sitting in degreaser. But the degreaser is quite old, and doesn't seem to be doing the job it used to (either that or it's the wrong type).

Gearbox was chock full of a combination of Petroleum Jelly and what looks like 1:1 car grease (Castrol maybe - the green stuff). Surprised it ever ran at all - never seen a tighter gearbox!

Any tips on it's removal? I removed as much as I could with toothpicks and kitchen roll, it's the last bit. My old degreaser not really cutting it.

I'm thinking petrol might do the trick ? Or are there better commercial product alternatives?

Don't mind leaving it in something for a week if that's what it takes. Not looking for instant fix.

Thanks!

I always find kerosene about the best/cheapest/safest on any surface. Once finished use the leftovers on the weeds around the yard to get your moneys worth!!