mongoose1983

Classic Bmx Bikes, Etc...

...Had to post this here because a Tamiya RC posting was getting more into a Classic BMX tread and don't want no problems with the moderators here :)

I owe my nickname because of the bike I could not have back in the early 80's, when I was a BMX racer. Anyway, I now have a 1984 Kuwahara Survivor 2.5. Can I ask for more in this life? Ha ha.

Here's some pictures of my bike: EB - 1984 Kuwahara

Anyway, if there are other BMX fans here on TC I hope they will feel like sharing some pictures.

You all have a nice Wednesday! :)

i used to bmx, when i raced i was on a diamond back frame, man that thing was light.

i used a gt pro performer for freestyle and 1/2 pipes. i quit riding when i got my drivers license, and due to injuries.

i had a huge collection of old school bmx a few years back, but had to sell most of them due to cash flow problems!

still got this one in my attic though - an 85 Mt Racing Fox 4styler:

fox4.jpg

I had one of these as a kid, and eventually tracked down another off ebay. All resprayed / cleaned / rebuilt

Also in my attic is a complete RTR 87 Haro FST, a PK Ripper and a mountain of unsellable (at the moment) "mid school" framesets.

Oh I also have an 85 Haro Master that has been rechromed, along with a set of single pinch Redline Flite Cranks.

I am surpised the upstairs ceiling doesn't cave in with the amount of weight in my attic.

Closest I got was a Raleigh "Commando Star" (not to be confused with the "Commando" which was basically a later Chopper) circa 1981, which was part BMX, part poor mans' "Grifter".

They were so unpopular not even a photo of one survives :)

Here's a picture of the infamous Raleigh Commando. Not too bad. Ha ha. :lol:

You all have a great Friday!

Here's a picture of the infamous Raleigh Commando. Not too bad. Ha ha. ;)

You all have a great Friday!

Thanks for the pic - but sadly that's a Commando, mine was a Commando Star - and absoloutely nothing like the bike it shared 1/2 a name with :lol:

Mmmm. I see you was right, Jonny -can't seem to find a picture of that one anywhere! :D

Just got me an 85 burner in all white, white skyways and tyres with MX brakes mint all original. I pick it up tonight. I cannot wait ;)

Just got me an 85 burner in all white, white skyways and tyres with MX brakes mint all original. I pick it up tonight. I cannot wait ;)
Sounds pretty cool! Don't forget to share some pictures, mate!

I have a 1960's stingray jr that I will restore when I get home. Pics on bmxmuseum.com

WOW! This is a great topic!!

Here are some dealer catalog pics of the VERY first Giant BMXs circa 1980. Giant BMX back in the days were the schiznit in our neighborhood! I had a blue one which got stolen. My mom left it down stair of our house... she is too trusting and I didn't know any better! I was about 7 years old! I miss that bike!

ap_20070529113436934.jpg

ap_20070529113426732.jpg

ap_20070529113431760.jpg

ap_20070529113440375.jpg

ap_20070604084151868.jpg

Here's my GT Pro Performer circa 1985. I still have this bike to this day.... in tip top condition!

DSC02983.jpg

Wow... I'm really excited about this topic lol~

VS

Good topic, I did some racing in the early 1980's. It started with a Kabuki, I was the only racer riding one. Raced at "the Ranch" on a Redline (my fav) for a few years, but it got stolen when I was 14 years old. Last BMX bikes was a wicked PK Ripper which my cousin gave me (he raced Diamond backs), and a used Mongoose from my friend who was sponsored locally.. Wish I had pics.

Here's my GT Pro Performer circa 1985. I still have this bike to this day.... in tip top condition!

DSC02983.jpg

Wow... I'm really excited about this topic lol~

VS

That's one SWEET GT, VS!!

Had I known the world was going to change as much as it did the last three decades I would have been out taking pictures of everything around me... I wish I could go back and take pictures of all of the bikes the kids used to race at the San Carlos track.

You all have a great Thursday! :)

here's one I used to own, until last year when I had to sell it to pay for medical bills :blink:

It's an 81 Motomag. I restored it from bare metal, with all used parts just cleaned and polished.

I had the frame and forks powdercoated and got new decals for it.

I entered it in a show in 2007 and it won first place.

m%20(1).jpg

I have had literally dozens of bmx's over the past 27 years. I still have a rider or 2 (depending on the type of riding). Plus an attic full of parts.

Collecting old school BMX was great fun but it got sooooo expensive as it got more popular. Like most things, I guess :lol:

No wonder that Mongoose was awarded, 30cms! It looks oh-so-beautiful !!!

i was so stoked it won.

it was up against really high end stuff. and a bike like this was, in it's day, just a basher really!

the comp was judged by some guys from SE racing and they saw the bike and all could relate to it - a lot of riders started out on a motomag, back in the day.

the judges fell in love with it too.

i hated to sell it, but i had a bill that really needed paying :blink: c'est la vie

I whole heartedly admit I know nothing about BMX / Classic BMX bikes other than rider peddle like mad in races and do some amazing jumps with them.

What are they worth? :blink: From the cheapest to most expensive to say an average price Classic BMX???

I whole heartedly admit I know nothing about BMX / Classic BMX bikes other than rider peddle like mad in races and do some amazing jumps with them.

What are they worth? :blink: From the cheapest to most expensive to say an average price Classic BMX???

depends upon rarity.

you can pay 100 pounds for a set of handlebar grips! or 4 pounds if there are a lot about.

some framesets always command high bucks - the skyway stuff, robinson, mongoose pro class and the like

i think the Hutch stuff was always the "avante" of old school bmx, with some parts reaching silly prices.

here's another of mine (again, sold now)

a Redline MX 2 - this is how i bought it:

rb2.jpg

this is after i stripped it bare, resprayed, new stickers, rebuilt the wheels with new rims (yes i build my own wheels) and cleaned it all. a few new parts too:

rlf1.jpg

the eagle eyed among you will notice the before shot has MX III stickers (not MX II) - this was a mistake in the factory. there was never an MX III. it was a typo by the sticker makers! hahaha

while i am in this thread, here's a double post for ya

i restored this GT for a friend a couple of years back:

was a state when i got it

gt0.jpg

how it turned out

gt19.jpg

got a modern seat / tyres on it, as it was to be ridden

rlf1.jpg

the eagle eyed among you will notice the before shot has MX III stickers (not MX II) - this was a mistake in the factory. there was never an MX III. it was a typo by the sticker makers! hahaha

Shouldn't you have kept the MXIII sticker as is? as mistake like this be worth more???? or it doesn't apply to bikes?

Shouldn't you have kept the MXIII sticker as is? as mistake like this be worth more???? or it doesn't apply to bikes?

maybe

it was when i was looking for the mxIII stickers, that i learned about the error.

i guess i could have concocted an mxIII sticker, but that would have meant buying 2 mxII sticker sets, just for a couple of "I"s

and they weren't cheap!!

also it was the later mxII's that were badged wrong. so an mxII sticker set gave it a more vintage look :blink:

These bikes are just so beautiful and brings back fond memories. Did any of you gents good at freestyling?

By the way, anyone here ever watched the movie "RAD"? After walking out the theater, I practiced for weeks before my mom got me the classic Nintendo system LOL~

VS

These bikes are just so beautiful and brings back fond memories. Did any of you gents good at freestyling?

By the way, anyone here ever watched the movie "RAD"? After walking out the theater, I practiced for weeks before my mom got me the classic Nintendo system LOL~

VS

Ha ha, I actually have the BMX movies on DVD. "RAD" has a GREAT race at the end, and it features some of the real champions there. Then, "E.T.", the movie that opened it for Kuwahara BMX bikes in the States, and the legendary Aussie, "BMX Bandits", which is probably the first movie Nicole Kidman ever starred ;)

Did any of you gents good at freestyling?

i can still do loads of old school tricks.

A few of mine :)

1984 DP Firebird Freestyler

ff_1_290306.jpg

1984 DP Firebird Freestyler

DP108-12-06resized-1.jpg

1986 Skyway T/A

Skyway1a18-05-08.jpg

DP Firebird

firebird_july_06_1.jpg

1983 Mongoose Californian

MongooseCali112-08-06.jpg

1985 Haro Master