mongoose1983

Classic Bmx Bikes, Etc...

hey phantom

some of those pics look familiar . . . .

i really like your gen 1 haro.

not sure about the tuffs though :lol:

A few of mine :)

1983 Mongoose Californian

MongooseCali112-08-06.jpg

What a SWEET BMX !! That one used to be my favorite misery. And yeah, I owe my TamiyaClub.com nickname to that legendary Mongoose model. :)

You really have to have Tuffs on a Bob Haro replica, just as he rode on his own bike bitd: http://www.jtfreestyle.com/Vintagebikes/19..._Freestyler.htm

Ideally I would have fitted a set of gen 1 Graphites but at £800+ for a mint set it was just too much :)

i am only messing with ya!

on the bmx forum i think i was the only one who wasn't a fan of tuff wheels, and it became a standing joke!

hey just for record, i think i had a grasshopper rere off you back in 2006 in exchange for a set of old school bmx rims.

that was the kit that got me back in RC again. that was over 100 cars ago now. i blame you.

i am only messing with ya!

on the bmx forum i think i was the only one who wasn't a fan of tuff wheels, and it became a standing joke!

hey just for record, i think i had a grasshopper rere off you back in 2006 in exchange for a set of old school bmx rims.

that was the kit that got me back in RC again. that was over 100 cars ago now. i blame you.

That sounds about right :angry:

I remember trading a grasshopper re-re kit for some bmx parts quite a while ago now :)

100 cars is some going :D:lol:

Wow, cool thread.

I don't have any photos. But my first real BMX I saved up for was a 1983 Mongoose!

I proceeded to change almost every part on it, until it became a Race Inc. bike.

My friend had a P.K. Ripper in brown. That was a cool bike for sure!

Miss those days!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Way cool - thread from way back, I made my way through quite a few BMX's before I got my PK Ripper which was stolen and then I built myself a DP Firebird Freestyler - very similar to Phantom's but with blue tuff II's, I was quite skint after shelling out for the frameset and could only afford SR components for it but they were all blue too, looked awesome

This thread takes me back a few years, I got a "Giant" or "GT" BMX for christmas off ma n pa, it was (at the time) the dogs nuts (it was a combined Xmas present from both my Mun n dad and my granny).

All i remember was it was silver i think and it had "Giant" or "GT" on the frame and "Team Giant" i think on the Handlebar pad.

I remember "Hopping it up" with a new head (handlebar holder) and some new really flexi wheels (Araya i think?) they were a kind of bronze/gold colour i remember.

I must have got that in 1983 (I forget) i remember getting it at my aunties house (our house was being re-built at the time, took 9 months lol).

Will try and find what model it was and post up!.

Looking at the pics, it kind of looked like the Diamond back Silver Streak or the GT Santa Ana and remember im sure it had those Black wheels (which got changed as per above).

This thread takes me back a few years, I got a "Giant" or "GT" BMX for christmas off ma n pa, it was (at the time) the dogs nuts (it was a combined Xmas present from both my Mun n dad and my granny).

All i remember was it was silver i think and it had "Giant" or "GT" on the frame and "Team Giant" i think on the Handlebar pad.

I remember "Hopping it up" with a new head (handlebar holder) and some new really flexi wheels (Araya i think?) they were a kind of bronze/gold colour i remember.

I must have got that in 1983 (I forget) i remember getting it at my aunties house (our house was being re-built at the time, took 9 months lol).

Will try and find what model it was and post up!.

Looking at the pics, it kind of looked like the Diamond back Silver Streak or the GT Santa Ana and remember im sure it had those Black wheels (which got changed as per above).

Hiya Tamiyoman, how have you been. If you check the post #11 in this thread you'll see a GIANT BMX catalog. Perhaps your bike is there?

Hi Mongoose, been good and busy thanks, how about you?.

NO, i could not see it on the Giant ad, i did have a look, bear in mind we talking about almost 28 years back, the details are a little fuzzy, I looked on google as much as i could and could not find an exact match?.

I remember my little bro got a BMX too that year but he got another model, all i remember was those black plastic wheels and grey/red frane i think?.

Still looking around for exact match.

*******UPDATE*******

Just dug out one of the family photo albums and have a pic of me n my little bro on Xmas day showing our new bikes B)

My brother got the "Raleigh Burner" i think, its was Blue with Yellow Tuff wheels (those plastic 7 spoke wheels) and had yellow Frame/Headset/Handlebar pads, blue alloy brake levers with blue brake lines.

My own BMX was Chrome/Silver, had "Giant" sticker on frame with BLACK TUFF wheels (5 Spokes), Red padset and Red alloy Brake calipers, Red Alloy Crank and had a Black seat.

It was in the album under 1981-1983 so it was either christmas 81, 82 or 83.

Any Ideas Mongoose??

Hi Mongoose, been good and busy thanks, how about you?.

Just dug out one of the family photo albums and have a pic of me n my little bro on Xmas day showing our new bikes B)

My brother got the "Raleigh Burner" i think, its was Blue with Yellow Tuff wheels (those plastic 7 spoke wheels) and had yellow Frame/Headset/Handlebar pads, blue alloy brake levers with blue brake lines.

My own BMX was Chrome/Silver, had "Giant" sticker on frame with BLACK TUFF wheels (5 Spokes), Red padset and Red alloy Brake calipers, Red Alloy Crank and had a Black seat.

It was in the album under 1981-1983 so it was either christmas 81, 82 or 83.

Any Ideas Mongoose??

Hi Myles. I can't think of a specific bike with the description. Have you checked the BMXmuseum.com? The galleries there maybe will be of help so we can find what brand was your bike. Anyway, what happened with the BMX bikes you received that Christmas? Any chance to have a look at a scan of that Christmas' picture?

Hi Myles. I can't think of a specific bike with the description. Have you checked the BMXmuseum.com? The galleries there maybe will be of help so we can find what brand was your bike. Anyway, what happened with the BMX bikes you received that Christmas? Any chance to have a look at a scan of that Christmas' picture?

The bikes got sold on im afraid (Arrghhh) when we traded up to Racing bikes (before mountain bikes eventually).

I can scan the pic at some point and show you, unfortunately the pic aint that bright (family cams were not that great in 81-83 lol).

Had a Look and it looks just like the 1982 Giant, only difference i can see is the Red wheels, on mine they are the 5 Spoke Skyway Tuff wheels.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/giant_bicycles/14732

Coool

Hi Mongoose & all

I had a DP freestyler which i bought with the money from my saturday job as a kid, Then anall white Skyway with white tuffs. Someones posted a pic here (ohh the memories).

Then a Haro sport which I remember was the heaviest thing ever.

Recentlly saw a set of Skyway original pads on ebay for £100 who would have thought it.

I used to ride freestyle and can still do some balance routines LOL though it hurts a lot more now im 40.

Does anyone remember the photo of Eddie Fiolla in bmx action magazine, wearing his signature all yellow suit on his all yellow GT performer, Flying out of a bowl with no helmet on Iconic pics.

BOB HARO Rules

PK Ripper was my favourite bike but never owned one.

Thanks for the thread

Ive done it again, Just seen the date on this thread ( im new and am looking around and getting used to the forums" so please bear with me lol

As some one said

Thread Necromancy

regards

all#

Mykel

post-35998-1298808246_thumb.jpg

Got this frame last Sunday. Cheap as chips. See pics below. Sighs... Do you know my almost 30 years of "childhood heartache" has just started to vanish. OOOOOH, I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! Haven't seen a Mongoose in the flesh (or chrome, actually) since 1984.

The frame belongs to a Mongoose "Expert" from March, 1984, and what you see in the pics is all original except for that NASTY chainwheel.

I plan to complete it if possible, the most original parts I can get the better, before next December so I can wrap it up in nice paper, and leave it behind the Christmas tree as I dreamed of it back in the day. Super happy. :);)

ongs004.jpg

mongs005.jpg

nice looptail :)

genuine vintage Supergeese here go for crazy dollars.

haha the BMX industry is as bad as RC making shekels off nostalgia,

so many 'old' names are now bringing back retro/modernised bikes.

Some smarter ones are finally scaling up their 20s to 24" now too

(market has 'grown' since the 80s haha)

haha the BMX industry is as bad as RC making shekels off nostalgia,

so many 'old' names are now bringing back retro/modernised bikes.

Some smarter ones are finally scaling up their 20s to 24" now too

(market has 'grown' since the 80s haha)

Oh well, some people's been smart enough to see just how many $$ can be milked out of this NASTY mid-life crisis, ha ha. ;)

yeah i got caughtup into it earlier this yr too :wacko: got hooked enough

to throw together some midskoolers to bum around the city pavement on

sigh, definitely outgrown a 20" ... now eyeing a 24" haha, maybe with a hub 3-5spd :rolleyes:

Doesn't seem to be any easy way to bolt on a SturmeyArcher 3-spd 20" wheel though.

or E-assist with additional lipo capacity :ph34r::lol:

I used to have a nice GT pro performer that i bought just to have it. Never got a chance to buy one of the original ones before... a few years back my uncle asked for it.. :(:) He was going to give it to his kid..

Hopefully he knows the value of it.

Also had a bike i sold with a gt pro performer copy comes with Shimano Dx cranks & pedals. suntour post, araya rims, shimano hubs, shimano head set, skyway spinmaster etc..

Too bad it was stolen... Grrr....

Sorry to hear about your stolen bike. That really sucks, Nelson!

Anyway, reading your post makes me think how interesting is how one's taste can change with the years. Back in the very good old days I remember being sooo into hop-up BMX parts. I would drool over anything Suntour or Araya, the High end Japanese stuff. Now I just go for the original/stock parts in the old bikes, no matter how crappy they were. ;):)

Hey guys

It seems BMX and Tamiya go hand in hand I have a Mongoose Solution still in the shed and my 10 year old always grabs it before his bike to ride around on.

I used to race in the day way back when.I've also had a PK Ripper,looptail Quadangle, acouple of redlines, HMX's Super max's (local bikes) and most recently

24 inch floval flyer and 24 inch quad still love them but too much arthiritis these days and had to give up again.