Singapore_959

Sinbin For Whats It Worth Threads?

How about a separate area for what's it worth threads?

I won't post up another refresh of my tub of bolts thread because that got mysteriously deleted last time I did that.... but seriously if the above is too much to be considered how about an update to the rule/etiquette list perhaps regarding a min number of posts or that these must be posted in the sales,trades,wanted section or something?

I know I am not the only one who rolls their eyes seeing such posts esp when it's a first post or similar. I never understand why such posters can't check the trading/sale areas and ebay. :wacko: Or maybe I'm just grumpy! :D

I know that they're annoying, but I think you probably need to just ignore them. They're usually from people who have just joined for the purpose of posting that particular thread, so there's not much chance of them doing something more sensible...

hello tamiya collectors!

i have no interest in these cars but i have heard you suckers pay a fortune for the old tat i just found in my attic

what is the maximum i can screw out of you?

once i have emptied your wallet, you'll never see me again

thanks!

Although....

I feel/felt that way. It kind of came to a head when a chap called Steve, Meerkat came on and I gave him a bit of a slap (not really flamed, but kind of) and quite a lot of people had a go at me, so I spoke to Steve, explained the situation, offered an olive branch and now his thread about his Egress restore (which he decided to do after I persuaded him to restore instead of sell it) means that we have a new member and an interesting thread on his restoration process.

I know (believe me) how it seems when the post is seen, but we can ignore them :wacko:

Keep well (and sane!)

Paul.

I think leave it as is as well. Lots of forums have "floating" members that come in post once or twice then are never seen again - I've been guilty of it myself at times.

How ever much a "Whats it worth" post might annoy you, remember that person could be a potential new member, and if they come in here with a simple question, get a load of abuse from the established community, what sort of signal is that going to give about the way we are?

There's no plans to sinbin or punish anyone for asking the value of something - with the recent discussion regarding unpriced trades recently, isn't trying to find out what something's worth part of the 'fixed price' philosophy? http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10598

If someone can't turn to a forum full of 'experts' and ask their opinion, who should they ask?

As for emptying someone's wallet, I personally have never set out not to get either as much as I can for something, or what I consider to be the 'market value' - I sell stuff to raise funds, not to be considered saintly :P

hello tamiya collectors!

i have no interest in these cars but i have heard you suckers pay a fortune for the old tat i just found in my attic

what is the maximum i can screw out of you?

once i have emptied your wallet, you'll never see me again

thanks!

The thing that's most awesome about this (so much so that it renders the complaint amusing) is that a question asked from this standpoint essentially grants all the power to the "suckers" which makes it difficult for their pockets to be emptied unless they are masochistic by nature.

that's just how i interpret the "what's it worth" threads.

the bottom line is if you want to see what you can get for something, stick it on an auction site.

if you have a value that you feel the item owes you - put that as a reserve - or a BIN

however i could be all wrong about this. maybe the "what's-it-worth-first-time-posters" need to know the value for insurance purposes.

Do you sit in front of your telly watching stuff you hate complaining about it?

If you don't like it TURN IT OVER! :P

i usually avoid the what's it worth threads

but a thread discussing it? that's different!!!

Do you sit in front of your telly watching stuff you hate complaining about it?

If you don't like it TURN IT OVER!

lol, though

top banter

my wife insists on watching all the soaps. so, yes i do :P

i usually avoid the what's it worth threads

but a thread discussing it? that's different!!!

lol, though

top banter

my wife insists on watching all the soaps. so, yes i do :D

Unlucky! :D

I should've quoted S_959 my remark was aimed at him not you dude sorry!

Singapore said...

"How about a separate area for what's it worth threads?"

That seems OK to me. All it would mean is one more reason for the mods to move posts out of General/Vintage, into a section called "What's it worth?".

Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

I don't see how the reaction to Singapore's idea can be along the lines of "If you don't like it - ignore it!". Because by that logic, the same applies - if you don't like Singapore's idea, you can ignore that too :D It's turtles all the way down...:D

Inside the "What's it worth?" forum, there could be a sticky post at the top called "How to find out what your car is worth" - to briefly explain the most common answers.

1) Search completed items on eBay

2) Search the TC trades section and forums

Those 2 things may seem obvious, but not obvious enough to newbies, as they are the answers we all have to give 90% of the time.

Anyway, perhaps the idea would fail for some other reason, but it's not a bad idea IMHO.

Another small suggestion I would make is that there are a lot of vintage car discussions that take place under "General", and could probably be moved ;)

H.

Actually I like this idea, a separate place for 'what it's worth' which can reduce problem in searching when looking for things of actual interest in the vintage forum.

I suspect though, 'da management' like things how they are :D They aren't inflexible, but I guess things have been working and how many posts asking 'how much is this worth?' do we get anyway?

P.

and how many posts asking 'how much is this worth?' do we get anyway?

Thousands and millions apparently :D

How come nobody's ever suggested a forum specially for stripping paint off lexan shells before now? - that gets asked a helluva lot more than 'how much is this worth'

Granted, a stickied FAQ regarding common questions might be handy, but one was proposed a while ago and no-one suggested content for it so nothing happened.

There won't be a new forum for 'what's it worth' posts; new forums won't be created purely to alleviate a little 'inconvenience' from having to read a few lines of text.

Inside the "What's it worth?" forum, there could be a sticky post at the top called "How to find out what your car is worth" - to briefly explain the most common answers.

...and this could be done quite easily: only thing to do is a button to click named "wanna know what it's worth?"-when clicked it's a direct link to "ebay.com"-et voilà ! :D

...and this could be done quite easily: only thing to do is a button to click named "wanna know what it's worth?"-when clicked it's a direct link to "ebay.com"-et voilà ! :blink:

OK, I'll be the party-pooper here...

Chances are that people asking "what's it worth" questions don't even know about www.Ebay.com.... And if they do, they probably do not have a user on Ebay, and can't search the completed listings...

So, let the few ones ask their questions here... and those of you who hate responding to them... just don't... (like me B) )

-Lars

Lars you are the sober ying to my raging yang.

this calm response appears to be the best!

so whats a sin binning worth then? :)

(three weeks for a smart alec reply minimum?)