e30legend

Vintage Lunchbox Build

Hi all

Been lurking on the site for a while and thought it was about time I posted. I've been into Tamiya since I was about 8 (now 33). Most of the cars I had at the time I bought of mates as being 12 at the time I couldn't afford new kits ! So I promised myself that when I was older I would buy the kits I wanted when I was a kid :P

I got hold of a few cars recently which has rekindled my Tamiya flame, I'll post these later.

I remembered that I had old Lunchbox and Pumpkin in bits and pieces at my parents house, which I found and both were wrecked. I sorted through the bits and found I had enough parts from both kits to make a running Lunchbox, as it was never going to be a restoration project I thought I would build it for my 7 year old son to thrash about.

Started with the shell (I was a A Team fan :P) big crack on the roof. (syringe is for glue nothing else !)

IMG_0343.JPG

Crack fixed and sanded ready for primer

IMG_0352.JPG

Primed

IMG_0354.JPG

First coat of colour (can you guess what it is yet?)

IMG_0355.JPG

Made a stencil out of masking tape and added the green

IMG_0359.JPG

Final stage, stickers added

IMG_0360.JPG

More to follow ...

• Like 1

first things first, welcome to TC! Its a very addictive and expensive hobby, but ultimately worth it in the end!

Have to say that I'm loving that shell, really nice job on that, much better than anything I have achieved with a hardbody so far!

How much paint??!! Well that won't rust for a while lol - groovy :P

Thanks for the warm welcome and the comments :D

first things first, welcome to TC! Its a very addictive and expensive hobby, but ultimately worth it in the end!

I'm already finding this out as I have another 11 cars waiting in the wings for restoration !

More photo :

Lunchbox chassis, broken in all the usual places

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Quick repair and some added strength

IMG_0496.jpg

Made some metal pins to hold the shell on and added the servos, speed controller ect.. I also moved the heat sink and receiver so I could add the suspension mod to the rear (doesn't look pretty but does the job)

IMG_0498.jpg

The finished article

PICT0055.JPG

PICT0056.JPG

that looks so good!

nice job on the painting too - looks great

maybe you could load up the cabin with some scooby doo action figures too!

...The finished article

pict0055jk.jpg

Looks good ... surprised you didn't give the wheels a bit of a tidy up though - a bit of wet & dry action on the scuffed edges & a quick respray & they'd look as good as the rest of the car :D

• Like 1

Looks like a fun build but I'm sure it will be double the fun to run !

Looks good ... surprised you didn't give the wheels a bit of a tidy up though - a bit of wet & dry action on the scuffed edges & a quick respray & they'd look as good as the rest of the car :D

Yes you're right ! a project for the weekend :D

Looks good ... surprised you didn't give the wheels a bit of a tidy up though - a bit of wet & dry action on the scuffed edges & a quick respray & they'd look as good as the rest of the car :blink:

What about something like this (Photoshopped) :

picee.jpg

It's been 10 years since I built this for my son, he is now 17 !! The Lunchbox was retired about 4 years ago when the old trusty silver can died and one of wheels the decided part company with the rest of the truck and sent the Lunchbox flying down the road on the other 3.

The lunchbox then got replaced with a Bush Devil (more to come on this) and the Lunchbox found It's way yet again, broken and neglected dumped In the bottom of a cupboard, that is until now..... It's time for another restoration and this time my son is helping me do it.

The Lunchbox in it's current state.

C4497D46-C8AC-4BD4-BA68-07FF91FF5436.jpeg

• Like 3

The parts were cleaned up and put back together, although most of the parts are still original I thought it was time to buy a new chassis as the current one had earned it’s retirement, not bad considering it’s about 33 years old,

I also couldn’t bring myself to sand down the Mystery Machine So I bought a new shell as well.

/I know the the rear tyres are on the wrong way.

9745026E-22BD-4045-A785-55DE6AB8D8E2.jpeg

• Like 2

New body shell sprayed in Tamiya TS-8 ready for the new theme.

IMG_2524.thumb.JPEG.1069edb93d9933a3b7490be17b5c93d8.JPEG

IMG_2534.thumb.JPEG.269b7c833da5312d6837d0b984817e15.JPEG

Wheels refurbished and painted black.

IMG_2609.thumb.JPEG.30b1e61a9471ce5287fef35f3209c13f.JPEG

Added the chrome and the glass.

7465B280-B359-4F68-BE09-09E708022D0A.thumb.jpeg.63e7d8d90b99bea1c2faf31f74eb562a.jpeg

We needed a new design something different, so we came up with this.

710AD86E-24F1-4E7E-9B74-970AE38FE0FA.thumb.jpeg.a63e2aca1e7e42e5330e80a9a1d62aa9.jpeg

So the vinyl cutter came out and we got to work, this was the result.

9B43CE1A-DB99-449E-B4C3-CC46E06B3C45.thumb.jpeg.949ceca43689b765c5568f73292286f0.jpeg

• Like 5

Still lots of work to do, the design isn’t finished yet and the motor & radio gear still need to be installed.

7610942E-1C78-4922-BC41-926D574E76DC.thumb.jpeg.424f66a16dd5e94afb519f9874f5d628.jpeg

A8EBCBDB-D76C-460C-BB5F-5D4F3448C963.thumb.jpeg.2fed802cd623ef35f2fcf8371d4aa7e8.jpeg

• Like 7

Just needs a flap on the back so you can drop cans of coke out of the back on a switch on 3rd channel.

• Haha 1

Awesome 7 year old thread revival! This lunchbox reminds me of the ‘Only Fools & Horses’ sketch ‘Triggers Broom’! Looks great as a Coke van that does 👍🏽

• Like 1

That looks awesome, coincidentally I've just finished a mystery machine build with my wife, thought it was a nice introduction to the hobby, she did all but the paint job.

Added a couple of mods too, a brace across front suspension mounts, metal body posts, CVA short shocks, aircraft wheels for wheelie bar, foam in tyres (not sure if this will help or not), 13.5t brushless motor (feel this maybe too much but can always swap out) and lights to make it look cool!

We've been waiting for the paint to harden so taking it out for a spin tonight!

Here she is

20200810_170932-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.0a220b8f3765dba18fa15168d35909f8.jpg

• Like 4