kstar

Alu Bodies?

I guess it was Bad Boy who shower this website to me a couple of months ago. http://www.aluminumrcbodies.com/index.htm

I have searched the forums but not found anything about it. I'm very curious to see some examples of what you guys out there can do with these.

Ive heard they are very thin, so crash damage is very realistic.. :lol:

Ive heard they are very thin, so crash damage is very realistic.. :lol:

Yeah that's the whole idea, right?

i'm not sure, all i know is, i dont buy a body to ruin it as soon as possible, so yeah i guess for some people it could be a good idea.

I see your point. But if it's a runner I rather see it get realistic damage, I'm not in a hurry getting it damaged.

The bodies are 0.007" thick and by request he will make one 0.005" thick. I bet 1 roll and it would be wiped out

I lvoe the S/S Body, it would look so nice polished up, powdercoated and then clear coated.

I wouldnt mind sticking an 'Exo-cage' over the top of it either

Craig

You'll need some exceptional modelling skills to finish them off, just take a look at the Willy's Flat Fender Jeep. And I imagine it'll get quite damaged just fitting it to a chassis.

I couldn't see any prices, but if cheap it might make an interesting project.

:lol:

Not trying to detract from the obvious skill and talent needed to create these but if you wanted a polished one you can just get a plated plastic version (OK it would be harder to realisticly damage it)

Realism is important, it is nice to see these a little battered, but the expensive polished one would be a shame, after all, highly polished isn't realistic anyway for a runner, more of a show car really. You wouldn't want to bash that. But a nice painted one, a crawler, would look great with a few dings, after all, plastic scraps and cracks, but metal doesn't ;)

Incidently, 0.007" is only 0.2mm roughly, when 0.008" is the maximum gauge for aluminium foil. Are you sure about that dimension, because that sounds too thin to me!

Paul.

I saw this a couple of months ago too - I notice there is now a Rover P5 shell added, I wonder if Keith at Kamtec knows....

Realism is important, it is nice to see these a little battered, but the expensive polished one would be a shame, after all, highly polished isn't realistic anyway for a runner, more of a show car really. You wouldn't want to bash that. But a nice painted one, a crawler, would look great with a few dings, after all, plastic scraps and cracks, but metal doesn't ;)

Incidently, 0.007" is only 0.2mm roughly, when 0.008" is the maximum gauge for aluminium foil. Are you sure about that dimension, because that sounds too thin to me!

Paul.

That is the thickness they say they use

From the FAQ

Q: Aren't these bodies just made of aluminum foil?

A: No. They are not made from food industry aluminum foil or disposable aluminum baking pans. Standard duty food industry foil is about 0.0007" thick, heavy duty food industry foil is about 0.001" thick. Even heavy duty food industry foil is substantially thinner than even the standard duty aluminum used for these bodies.

Q: What thickness aluminum is used for these bodies then?

A: There are two thicknesses of aluminum, which is sourced from an industrial vendor, available for these bodies. Heavy duty which is 0.007", and by request only - standard duty which is 0.005".

any thicker than throwaway oven pan material would be very hard to cold vacform, lose all the small details inho

so you're meant to take window parts from the real body and stick them inside the ally shells huh?

Looks like the model for the SS body was the original one everyone seems to prefer. Interesting... ;)

Looking at their current selection there's nothing that really interests me.

Now, even though it's aluminum and not stainless steel, if they put together a DeLorean DMC-12 I would have to seriously consider getting one.

so you're meant to take window parts from the real body and stick them inside the ally shells huh?

There is a "How To" on the site, about making windows and strengthening the bodies. :)

Realism is important, it is nice to see these a little battered, but the expensive polished one would be a shame, after all, highly polished isn't realistic anyway for a runner, more of a show car really. You wouldn't want to bash that. But a nice painted one, a crawler, would look great with a few dings, after all, plastic scraps and cracks, but metal doesn't :)

Paul.

According to his site, aluminum foil is .0007 with heavy foil cooking pans being about .001. His bodies are .007, or 6 times THICKER than a heavy cooking pan.

Hi :lol:

That just doesn't seem to add up... errmm?

Paul.