Champ85

Seven Random Models

The weather was decent today, so I decided to take some pictures at my parent's place. Only 7 cars would fit nicely in my 1:1 for the drive over, but it's a start. I'll take pictures of the others some other day.

To keep it short here, I'll only post one picture (ok, maybe 2!) of each model. My Photobucket album has many more shots taken with two different cameras (there is a lot of redundancy because of this), so you are welcome to visit and check them out here.

First up is my re-re Grasshopper in mostly box-art. I just completed this recently. You'll notice that there is no driver. I have never liked having drivers or heads in my vehicles, so you won't see any except where it is a part of something else that is required so it cannot be removed. Blasphemous, I know.

This Grasshopper is mostly stock, except it has full ball bearings and a set of Pargu2000's wheel rim covers.

ESC: stock TEU-101BK.

Receiver: Futaba R113ip PCM

Motor: stock RS380

IMG_0090.jpg

A Super Champ in its natural environment. This is also why my forum name is Champ85. I got this as a Christmas present in 1985 from my parents. It was supposed to be a spares kit (!), not to be built. I already had a running Super Champ that I got the previous year. For a long time this stayed in its original blister packs and box until my mom decided it was taking too much room. I had to condense everything into a toolbox. I was still young at the time and didn't realize what a NIB would be worth. If I could only turn back time. After the parts kicked around and some pieces were taken for my runner, I managed to get the spare parts I needed to complete this kit again. I decided to build it as a shelfer and not paint it or apply any stickers.

This is kind of stock. It has full ball bearings, loaded's (Thank you Paul! Can't wait to get the new ones I just ordered last week!) chassis plate and mechanism deck that I got last year, and RC Channel's one-piece wheels. No electronics.

ESC: None

Receiver: None

Motor: Tamiya Sport Tuned

IMG_0074.jpg

Showing loaded's awesome carbon fiber chassis plate and mechanism deck

IMG_0075.jpg

A re-re Subaru Brat. I got this last year as my first re-re purchase. I always wanted one of these since I was little. I thought the body looked really cool. I decided to paint it in a minimalist style with no stickers. It is a runner and I have flipped it over once after a tangle with the dog (oops). The original Brat came with a 380 motor like the Grasshopper, but the re-re comes with the 540 now. This is somewhat stock. It has full ball bearings, Pargu2000's aluminum wheel covers, and a Sport Tuned motor and a red motor heatsink. This thing is so much fun with the Sport Tuned motor. It spins its wheels like crazy with that power making donuts forever.

ESC: TEU-101BK

Receiver: Futaba R113ip

IMG_0097.jpg

Next up is a Buggy Champ. I never owned a Rough Rider, just the Super Champ. I built this last year and decided to use metallic red for the paint, same as the Brat. I think it came out ok. I have not flipped this over, so no road rash yet. I will be crushed when that happens. This is mostly stock, but has an upgraded motor. The wheels are from RC4WD and are aluminum versions of the Tamiya three-piece wheels. Some of the finest fit and finish I've ever seen on wheels. Unfortunately they are out of stock on RC4WD's website. The front tires are original Rough Rider fronts that I got years ago. The tires and wheels are for display only. I use the stock wheels and tires when running.

ESC: TEU-101BK

IMG_0094.jpg

A re-re Sand Scorcher. I got this earlier this year when it was first released. The chassis is complete, but the body is not finished yet. Just this weekend I spray painted the white, so I'm finally starting. Not looking forward to the next part due to all of the masking and extreme care that will be needed. I'm not a good artist and have never liked painting bodies. Maybe that is why I don't like torsos and heads in my cars? I will be painting in box art colors and decals. When it is finished I'll be sure to post. This is also mostly stock like the others, but it has a Tamiya Sport Tuned motor.

ESC: TEU-104BK

IMG_0084.jpg

Finally (You'll have to check out the Kyosho forum to see #7) this is a Toyota High Lift. I built this in early to mid 2008. I really dislike the paint color on the bottom - too green for my taste, but maybe it looks a little retro like that. It was all the hobby shop had at the time. Now I just order paint online instead so I get what I want. I use Tamiya paints now. I forget what brand this was, though. Testors maybe. I totally went to town on this one in terms of modifications in an attempt to remove as much plastic as I could:

Full LED lights controlled by a TLU-02 and two TLU-01s. I couldn't use a MFC because I use a PCM radio, so lights are controlled by the TLU02 manually via buttons, but it's still really cool.

Aluminum front bumper by Hot Racing.

Aluminum chassis rail cross members by Hot Racing.

Aluminum 3-speed gearbox and covers by Getting Things Done RC (http://gtdcnc.com/main/tfa1a2a3a4a5.htm)

Aluminum wheels and Dirt Grabber tires from RC4WD.

Custom front and rear driveshafts built from Traxxas parts by me.

Aluminum standard width (same as stock) axles by RC Channel.

Chassis lowered slightly by following a tutorial posted here by someone I forget the name of, sorry.

Softer springs by RC4WD.

Motor heatsink by 3Racing (I think) with heatsink compound to help dissipate heat.

ESC: Novak Super Rooster 12T

Motor: Stock RS-540

IMG_0067.jpg

Nice set, but do the tire lettering - that'll finish them off nicely, especially the JR's on the Buggy Champ :)

Great selection of models and nice upgrades :(

You will need some special wheels for that re issue Scorcher though!

Paul.

Good looking cars! I especially like the paint on the Hilux. And I agree with you about driver figures; I don't use them either.

Resurrecting this thread to show the nearly-finished Scorcher body.

View the Full Album with my comments for each picture.

IMG_0251.jpg

Yes, I know what you're thinking: Paint the tire lettering. Someday. :lol: