Sign in to follow this  
Mad Zero

Which Vintage Radio For My 065 Clod?

Which radio sets would've been on offer in the UK at the time the 065 Clodbuster was first in the shops?

I don't mean just matching the manufacturers' release years as that doesn't say when they were in the shops, I mean what would've actually been on the shelf there and then? I need to get my 'perfect' Clod resto right! :lol:

I guess the Futaba Attack series was on sale then? They are cheap and readily avalible.

Which radio sets would've been on offer in the UK at the time the 065 Clodbuster was first in the shops?

I don't mean just matching the manufacturers' release years as that doesn't say when they were in the shops, I mean what would've actually been on the shelf there and then? I need to get my 'perfect' Clod resto right! :rolleyes:

In both of the 065 Clods (Chevy badge versions) I bought from Ebay were Acoms ARC227 recievers. They were bought from different sellers in different parts of the country so I would guess that the Acoms MK3 radio set was available at the time.

here in the us, the futaba attack would have been the popular radio.

Yes I think Acoms seem to be generally the 'more available' set over here at the time I guess it was down to wholsale prices.

Why I'm in the dark is because when I started it was before electric r/c was really practical and for my 1/8 ic cars I had a Sanwa GC2200, in those days you kept things longer so I had this radio in lots of cars before moving on to more pro gear (MacGregor lol!) so I didn't become aware of the budget sets of the 80's until I got into Tamiya in the 00's!

The 58065 Clod was marketed with the Acoms Techniplus Mk3 or AW27 Technisport Mk1. I personally loathe the Mk3, it's ugly, unergonomic, and I wouldn't even use it for a doorstop (my door deserves better). But they are plentyful and abundant (nobody wants them?) because they were mass marketed with the late 80's kits.

I went with the Futaba Attack/Attack-R/Attack-BFR set. I believe Acoms pretty much had the market on lock-down in the UK, where as in the States and over here Futaba had the majority.

clod_buster_poster_set.jpg

I would personally go with the Technisport if you are going to go Acoms, more features and very retro. :rolleyes: