Blacque Jacque

Which Is The Better Touring Chassis?

Which chassis would you choose ?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi folks, for some strange reason I've been debating buying a decent midrange, Tamiya touring chassis.

I believe I've narrowed my choices down to 3 basic options, but having no experience of these I can't decide which is best.

I'm not planning on competing with it, but I would like a competent chassis, something I can take to a track with some reasonable tyres & have a good thrash round.

It will be brushless powered, very likely an EZRun 9t system.

1. 49418 TA05-R chassis kit

2. 92217 TA05 V2 chassis kit

3. A second hand TRF chassis of some sort

Opinions ? Experience ? Senseless bickering ?

A while ago, I picked up a TRF415 chassis for about $120. Go for a used TRF, your wallet will thank you in the end

Only problem is, other than suspension parts, spare parts for trf cars arent cheap, and not too common since theyre always on limited production. If one is not used to tuning race chassis, it can cause more headache.ta05 is pretty much foolproof and still can hang with trf's on the track. And you wont feel so guilty when you crash. It's like the saying, "nothing more expensive than a cheap benz". Reason I sold my trf415msxx MRE(what a mouthful) was it didnt accomodate lipo too well. Otherwise, what a fantiastic machine!

Shodog has a point with the second hand TRFs, but as mentioned already, spares are not the cheapest, availability not the highest and will never be high. If you plan on using it for a year or two and then selling it on again, I'd go for a TRF. If you'll use it for longer than that, a TA05v2 for me would be the obvious choice.

Most likely I would want to keep it for more than just a year. As I said, I don't intend to compete with it, I'm just looking for a well mannered, capable touring chassis that will cope with brushless.

If you want to use lipo, 415's arent the best. ta05ms or evo iv/v would be ideal. ta05r or tb03r can hang with the best of trf cars.

Most likely I would want to keep it for more than just a year. As I said, I don't intend to compete with it, I'm just looking for a well mannered, capable touring chassis that will cope with brushless.

If you want to use lipo, 415's arent the best. ta05ms or evo iv/v would be ideal. ta05r or tb03r can hang with the best of trf cars.

Lipos dont fit the 415's unless you want to dremel the bulkhead a bit (or you can overhang the battery, but it messes up the handling).

I'd go for a ta05, any version is ok. They are strong and fast and you can fit a lipo in them quite easily. As mentioned above, if you want a compromise of the two a Ta05ms or TBevoV are excellent but again if you are not really after being hardcore then a Ta05 would be great.

I've had them all, I race a TA05ms as it suits the track I race on (and it wins the A final regularly) however I also have a std ta05 which is also solid and can put in a very good run. I like the R version as it has all the hop-ups you need to race although really you just need the following as a minimum

Front CVJ's

TRF shocks

Cheers

My votes for the TA05, i've been running both Scumacher and Hpi and not been too happy with em and wanted to show some brand loyalty given amount of Tamiyas I had. I looked at the TRF but discounted due to comments already raised.

After reading a few forums / club websites I've opted for the Ta05 ver2 with upgrade pack. Price seemed ok providing I dont get stung by customs.

I'm really looking forward to running this - keep us informed on what you plump for ;-)

I would try a used TRF chassis, most sellers who race take really good care of these machines. The 415, EVO IV or V would be ideal. If using Lipo on a 415, you must dremel the bulkhead for fitting.

the R beats the badword out of the normal V2 in my opinion. regular spec to R spec is a BIG difference. if youre not a kid, and you can afford it, get at least the R. a stock ta05 is very "plasticy" still quite a toy. after a decent time running it will slop out alot and you WILL want to upgrade it. with R spec kits, they have basically every hop up you actually need right out of the box. even the material used for such things as the knuckles and suspensions arms is better (same as trf stuff).

theyre every bit as adjustable as any trf as well.

re trfs. i dont agree with other poster re parts availability at all. every consumable that you really need for a 415 is still available. the suspensions system is still the same as a ta05, and can be updated to 416 (tb03/ta05 v2) spec if you desire. things like bulk heads etc dont really wear and and are pretty hard to break.

my next chassis is going to be TA05 based thats for sure. but i definitely wont be starting with a base model. either an R spec kit with the view to upgrade later with an aftermarket chassis kit. or a TA05 MS.

my next chassis is going to be TA05 based thats for sure. but i definitely wont be starting with a base model. either an R spec kit with the view to upgrade later with an aftermarket chassis kit. or a TA05 MS.

Which aftermarket upgrade did you have in mind?

Racers bend bulkheads and break shock towers from time to time. Running outdoor wears out the bottom plate pretty quickly too. Following your logic, youll never replace the bulkheads or chassis on ta05 ? I dont think so. Thats the beauty of the 05. Everything is cheap to replace.

re trfs. i dont agree with other poster re parts availability at all. every consumable that you really need for a 415 is still available. the suspensions system is still the same as a ta05, and can be updated to 416 (tb03/ta05 v2) spec if you desire. things like bulk heads etc dont really wear and and are pretty hard to break.

i know of trf chassis'... evo 3's and 4's, 415s, and ta05ms that have changed hands multiple times. and are still all on their original lower decks. they are all used for drift too. not babied.

re 05 after market chassis. there are a lot of options. 3 racing is very common, a HK based hop up company but seems to be a decent kit especially for the price. then there are alot of obscure japanese brands. FLAP, Tech racing, etc. an american company peguin also do one.

flap

3-7.jpg

3 racing

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4884/ta05evodc9.jpg

tech racing

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uploads/20...ta05athlete.jpg

penguin

http://www.penguinrc.com/graphics/product_pictures/p2020.jpg

After having run Schumachers, back from the very first SST 2000 back in 1997 (i believe), 99 Pro, and Axis versions, crossing over to Associated TC3 and 4, and onto TRF415, 415 MS and 415 MSX, Surikarn Evo3, TRF Evo 4 and 5, and a short detour into HB Cyclones, i have ended up with XRAY´s.

Now i am running an older XRAY T2´007, and as i see it, it is far superior to any of the other models mentioned here.

They run great out of the box, they are pretty fast and agile, and will hold up to a lot more than any of the others, in my experience, and cheaper on the parts also. :(

Cheers..

Michael

Have you considered a HB Cyclone TC?

They perform great out of the box!

After having run Schumachers, back from the very first SST 2000 back in 1997 (i believe), 99 Pro, and Axis versions, crossing over to Associated TC3 and 4, and onto TRF415, 415 MS and 415 MSX, Surikarn Evo3, TRF Evo 4 and 5, and a short detour into HB Cyclones, i have ended up with XRAY´s.

Now i am running an older XRAY T2´007, and as i see it, it is far superior to any of the other models mentioned here.

They run great out of the box, they are pretty fast and agile, and will hold up to a lot more than any of the others, in my experience, and cheaper on the parts also. :(

Cheers..

Michael

Guys, thanks for your input, but I specifically want to stay with a Tamiya chassis.

the R beats the badword out of the normal V2 in my opinion. regular spec to R spec is a BIG difference. if youre not a kid, and you can afford it, get at least the R. a stock ta05 is very "plasticy" still quite a toy. after a decent time running it will slop out alot and you WILL want to upgrade it. with R spec kits, they have basically every hop up you actually need right out of the box. even the material used for such things as the knuckles and suspensions arms is better (same as trf stuff).

Regarding the TA05's "plastic-ness", that's fine by me, the plastic parts tend to flex in the inevitable crashes rather than bend permanently or break. Sure they won't stand up to that kind of treatment for too long, but I prefer something that will "give" a little at the expense of absolute precision & finicky setup.

No I'm not a kid (although the missus may contest that point :( ) and yes I can potentially afford any of the kits discussed, new or otherwise. My aim is to balance want, need (I don't really need one at all tbh, but the want factor is strong) & cost. I'm not after street cred, bragging rights, kudos etc, simply a good fast tourer with two stars on it :P .

On that basis I am fairly sure that a TRF is not perhaps, the best choice for me & as someone else said recently "Cant beat that "NIB" build though...!"

So, on that basis it's down to TA05-R vs TA05 V2 w/upgrade pack.

Both include the TRF shocks, but many of the other hopups are different between the two kits.

Please keep the discussion going folks, I really do appreciate the input from you all.

I never questioned your knowledge of trf chassis. Racing puts alot more stress on the chassia than drifting. Drifting puts hardly any wear. Drifing is much slower than grip racing and drift tires have hardly any resistance, so crashes are quite soft compared. Ive seen cars get totalled from one crash. Drifters dont slide at 40mph down the straight.

i know of trf chassis'... evo 3's and 4's, 415s, and ta05ms that have changed hands multiple times. and are still all on their original lower decks. they are all used for drift too. not babied.

Guys, thanks for your input, but I specifically want to stay with a Tamiya chassis.

Regarding the TA05's "plastic-ness", that's fine by me, the plastic parts tend to flex in the inevitable crashes rather than bend permanently or break. Sure they won't stand up to that kind of treatment for too long, but I prefer something that will "give" a little at the expense of absolute precision & finicky setup.

No I'm not a kid (although the missus may contest that point :( ) and yes I can potentially afford any of the kits discussed, new or otherwise. My aim is to balance want, need (I don't really need one at all tbh, but the want factor is strong) & cost. I'm not after street cred, bragging rights, kudos etc, simply a good fast tourer with two stars on it :( .

On that basis I am fairly sure that a TRF is not perhaps, the best choice for me & as someone else said recently "Cant beat that "NIB" build though...!"

So, on that basis it's down to TA05-R vs TA05 V2 w/upgrade pack.

Both include the TRF shocks, but many of the other hopups are different between the two kits.

Please keep the discussion going folks, I really do appreciate the input from you all.

I voted TRF but I have driven a friends TA05-R and it was nice and smooth, it is a great chassis and great performer out the box to start with. It is smooth (quality) like my EVO IV and parts will not be a problem. I cannot comment on the V2 w/upgrades as I never wheeled one nor seen one run. So, I suggest the TA05-R model..

If your really into racing, then spend the money on a nice condition used 416. One with the short suspension arms would be best. Just be sure it has a flat/true chassis, and the drivetrain parts aren't too worn (CVD's, outdrives and bearings). These parts are expensive to have to replace, and can easily make the car unstable.

I've worked on both TA05, and 415 cars. I can say without a doubt that the carbon cars are hands down more precise and offer much more repeatable setups. Of course it depends on how detail oriented you are. If you aren't interested in checking every detail (like tweak & setup every race), then a TA05 may treat you better. Carbon-plate cars have a much greater response to small changes and tweaks from crashes. The molded tub chassis are never truly flat, but they can be more forgiving for racers with infrequent rebuilds.

... debating buying a decent midrange, Tamiya touring chassis ... I'm not planning on competing with it, but I would like a competent chassis, something I can take to a track with some reasonable tyres & have a good thrash round ... It will be brushless powered, very likely an EZRun 9t system ...

The TRF415MSXX MRE will be quite cheap to get now ... if you are patient, you can get hold of a good slightly used chassis. Look out for those who have only used them indoors. I have quit a few of those chassis ... I use some of them as parts and another with future slight modification in mind ...

Common parts with Evo4s - suspension arms, front rear hubs, knuckles

Shocks are common with most other Tamiya chassis

That is just about all you need to maintain in case you break any of them ... it is very easy to maintain & clean with hex screws just about everywhere ... no tapping screws as used on most hard plastic chassis

Lipos are lighter than NiMH cells which the chassis was designed to use and so to 'hang' them out slightly with additional weights actually helps to balance the car out a bit more.

415's are outdated. I know because I run an 07 spec MRE. To switch to short arms is going to cost an arm and a leg. 2 sets of new arms + spares and 4 suspension blocks in the right size (1c, split 1c, 1a & 1e/1f) is not cheap. And that's without updating the hubs to get rid of those awful 950 wheel bearings. The 950 bearings are not cheap and they don't last long. The 416 cars use 1050 bearings, and the 416WE & 416X include short arms....