Sign in to follow this  
slydar

Brushed/brushless Motor Performance Comparison

So here is the story. ive just received my TA02 fron ebay, complete with frp chassis set and front and rear towers.

basically whilst i do want to run this vehicle, i would also like to keep it a little more "period correct", and so therefore would like to run a brushed motor. at the current time i run a speed passion 4300kv brushless system in my TA01/03F. the engine performs well in the 03, and adequately in the 01.

what i would like to know, is if a super stock RZ (with correct gearing) is going to have anywhere near the performance of my brushless set up? on paper, with my basic understanding the maths says it will be a little bit behind with stock gearing, but maybe i can gear it a little taller to make up the difference?

depending on what opinions are then i might consider something hotter. although i do want to keep the total cost down to around 100 usd or thereabouts. a little more is fine, as long as it is going to have a decent amount more punch than my current brushless setup.

im thinking of a futaba MC331CR. looks to be a nice speedy although it has a lower advertised turn limit than the 330 it replaces.. (15 v's 13) then maybe a 15t hpi drift meister. ultimately id like to run a dyna run super tourer... but the expense of this and the 330 over the 331 is just a little too much to spend i think.

should also mention ill only use my cars for drifting. so its a little less load on the motor.

thought/discussion welcome.

I can tell you off hand that the KV4300 BL will be much more powerful then the Superstock RZ and if you run the BL motor on say a 7.4V Lipo battery it will gain even more peak power. I recently bought a Ezrun 9T KV4300 setup which i plan on using in my frog heheh. The thing i like most about BL motors is that that there is little to no maintenance required and they make awesome and efficient power when run with a Lipo battery pack.

ok, so thats a start. well i definitely dont want to go backwards, so the super cheap option is out.

what about a 15t/13t brushed though, that would out run a 4300kv? no?

Brushless of comparable power can not be used on older chassis because of gearing. 17.5 or 13.5 matches up better with motors such as rz, and 17.5 requires fdr of 3.5-4.5. With the gearing option available on ta02, you have to go lower turn brushless. Another plus for brushless is efficiency so your battery will last longer. As you probably know, BL eliminates maintenance. I still run an rz in my ta03 drifter powered by KO vfs1 and it does the job quite adequately. With my 2yr old orion 3200 LIpo pack and my ta03 setup with rz, geared about 7.0 fdr, i get about 45 mins run time. Still very efficient.

i have run the 4300kv brushless combo in both the TA01 and TA03, with stock gearing. it seems pretty happy in either of them, gets a little hot if i use softer drift tires, but nothing super concerning.

what i really want to know, is where abouts motor turn wise, i need to aim to get similar/slightly better performance (top speed) with a brushed motor. i am thinking a decent 15t should do it, in which case, i feel its a viable option. i am aware im am giving away some efficiency/run time, but as long as i can have the performance i need, without spending a lot more (hopefully less), id be happy to go with a brushed motor, as i prefer the look of the brushed motor in the older chassis.

simply buying another brushless system similar to what i have just seems like a boring option. theyre basically all the same unless you spend a fair bit more money. it looks like i can buy a decent 15t motor for about 40 usd + post. and there's novak XRS on ebay that will run it for 50 usd. maintenance also isnt so much of an issue when alternating between 3 different chassis' anyway.

I think a modified brushed 14x2 will be similar to the 4300kV motor. Just find one with a max rpm of around 30K. A brushed 10T will likely give you more power than the 9T brushless.

XRS is quite useless in terms of power. Look into used competition brushed esc. You can find them for practically nothing. I bought 2 KO vfs(one used, one NIB) and the programming card for 60USD. They used to go for ~200USD each. Dont pay attention to how many turns motor the esc can handle, but its amp rating. XRS is quite anemic.