Sign in to follow this  
ciadelta16

Ok, So I Am Looking At Lipo!

Ok. I know I wasnt looking at Lipo in my original post and thanks for all the help in discussing Nimhs.

But having a look at Nimhs and Lipo, there isnt such a big gap price wise as I remember it and reading through the forums, it appears there are both Lipo and Nimh horror stories that one doesnt seem any more dangerous than the other!!

So my next question is this. I have two cars, A Ta02 F150 racing truck with EZrun 9t 35AESC and a TA04 with EZrun 5.5t 60A ESC. Dean Connections on everything and a Graupner Charger, Ultramat 14. Do I need a balancer or does the Graupner have built in??

And I am looking at a budget of around fifty quid for two batteries. Suggestions please?

Thanks.

Luke

May I suggest a pair of hardcase Yeah Racing 3200 mAh 20C. I'm very satisfied with mine. :) For drifting with a TT-01 with a Ezrun 17,5T motor the battery managed 52 minutes non-stop.

Great!! It is actually real funny that you stated those as I was just looking at those and thinking what a great price they are. Can I ask what you do to maintain them? Do I need a balancer from the outset etc etc? There are a lot of varied opinions on this forum as to what is right and wrong so it is a bit difficult to get a balanced opinion on the correct state of play with regards to these!

Thanks .

Luke

I use a MEGA POWER 860DS AC/DC charger.

It's a Hyperion clone, the same as this one: HYPERION EOS 0606i I'm very satisfied with the easy use of the charger. I do balance my batteries at every charge. Some say you don't need to but I do it just to be on the safe side. I do want my batteries to get the best. :)

From what I understand theres a new MEGA POWER AC/DC charger on the market now which charges at 10A: MEGAPOWER INFINITY 880DS AC/DC

I use a MEGA POWER 860DS AC/DC charger.

It's a Hyperion clone, the same as this one: HYPERION EOS 0606i I'm very satisfied with the easy use of the charger. I do balance my batteries at every charge. Some say you don't need to but I do it just to be on the safe side. I do want my batteries to get the best. :lol:

From what I understand theres a new MEGA POWER AC/DC charger on the market now which charges at 10A: MEGAPOWER INFINITY 880DS AC/DC

I like the Lipo batteries but I was looking for a Balancer as a standalone to sit between my Graupner Ultramat 14 charger and my new Lipos. I like the idea of a newer charger but not at the moment.

Thanks for your help so far.

Luke.

Check ebay for a good cheap lipo charger i've seen heaps on there for cheap as chips prices nib.

Can I not just use a Balancer to balance the Lipo after each run and then charge as normal on my Graupner Ultramat 14 charger without balancing on the fly?? I am aware that my charger does not have the balancing funtionality!

Sorry if this is a noob question and a stupid thing to ask, but I am aware that all the info I can ascertain with regards to Lipo now will save me problems later:).

How much is just the balancer and is it cheaper than buying a new balance charging unit, if I already have a Lipo capable charger?

I am set on the Yeah Racing 3200 20C packs but want to have the necessaries for when they arrive.

Thanks again.....and again....and again;)

Luke.

I was looking at the Etronix Battery Doctor discharger/balancer. It is about 26quid at the cheapest. Could this be used in conjunction with my Graupner Ultramat ok??

Hi Luke..

Mate, I bought a Hyperion LBA10 "separate" balancer and it cost approx $65 AUD.. It will allow me to balance my packs on its own, and also whilst charging or discharging at upto a 10 amp rate..

I later bought a "Hotpower" balance charger, and it cost $85 AUD... This little unit will chatge NiCd, NiMh, LiPo, LiFe and Lead Acid batteries, at a rate of 5 Amps.. Its a Chinese made unit, so you will find the charger in many different colours and brandnames..

The choice is yours..

Looking at the bay, there are a lot of Imax B6 chargers on there. Are these any good?? Has anyone any experience with them??

If these are not particularly good, then can I have some suggestions for chargers around the forty quid mark? Will I get a decent charger for forty quid?

Thanks.

Luke.

The Imax B6 is a popular model but it sufferes from low "resulotion" in it's voltage detection, I'm sure it's fine anyway and if you are handy there are guides out there that can halp you make the charger better...

I'm using a Imax B5 and I'm happy, the 5S / 5A will soon become a limiting factor for me though...

The Imax B6 is a popular model but it sufferes from low "resulotion" in it's voltage detection, I'm sure it's fine anyway and if you are handy there are guides out there that can halp you make the charger better...

I'm using a Imax B5 and I'm happy, the 5S / 5A will soon become a limiting factor for me though...

What does the low resolution in its voltage detection mean?? That it isnt very good at detecting correct voltages. Also the 5s/5a scenario? Is this a bad thing? Is 5s the number of cells and 5a relating to charge time??

I am quite handy but would prefer to buy a good charger and be happy that I am future proofing myself. What about a Graupner 14 Ultramat Plus? I have a Graupner 14 Ultramat charger and am wondering if this is a good charger and worth using with an attached balancer

The Ultramat plus is about ninety quid which seems alot to spend if I already have the same unit minus the balancer/discharger

Ok. SO thinking long and hard about what I want and having a **** good read through various posts and wroking on my jargon a bit so that I know what all the charge and discharge info. means, I have decided on a Fusion Elysium LX60B Pro.

Not too much to buy, has a 6A charge rating that I think will last me a fair while as I only have the funds neccessary to buy Lipos at around 3000mah rating. It also appears to have a decent balancer whereas as few people have already mentioned that the cheaper balance chargers are not so good at balancing. . . . .

Just before I go ahead, I have been looking for reviews on this charger but cant find any. I would like a few reviews before taking the final plunge so does anyone know of someone or anywhere that I can find a review on this??

Thanks.

Luke.

I will get there!!