Clossie

Alternate Bodyshell For Hornet

Hi all,

After some rather serious bashing on our local quarter-pipes this weekend, my daughters hornet is looking in somewhat of a pitiful state.

So.. I thought off I go to the internet to find a new bodyshell, and that it will be easy and relatively cheap.

Now I have looked quite far and have not been able to come up with a replacement body shell. Lots of super hornets, grasshoppers etc, but few and far between standard hornet shells..

Any ideas where I can get one at a reasonable price, and or whether a body shell for a grasshopper etc will fit also?

Cheers

I see what you mean - wonderlandmodels.com have the Hornet body and wing available for preorder for £16.75, the availability date is apparently the 7th of June, Time Tunnel don't say whether it's in stock or not, everywhere else I looked (in the UK at least) say it's out of stock or on order with their supplier ...

The Grasshopper shell will fit fine at the front (as long as you take the front body mount off), but the back is a problem - the chassis extension/rear suspension top mounts/rear body mount widgets on the Hornet will foul the Grasshoppers rear rollover bars ... modelsport.co.uk have the Parma lexan Grasshopper shell for £20.49, but I've no idea how it's meant to fit - or if it would have the same problems as the styrene G/H shell.

The Super Hornet shares the same gearbox halves & internals, + the same bumper, but other than that it's subtly different, and I suspect the body mounts will be in quite different places (sorry - I have a Super Hornet chassis, but not the shell so I can't check) ...

if it still fits then i would not be in any rush to replace, just patch up and then you wont be that bothered when you trash a newly fitted one :lol:

if it still fits then i would not be in any rush to replace, just patch up and then you wont be that bothered when you trash a newly fitted one :lol:

Sad to say its beyond repair. The mounting points at the rear are completely gone. I will continue to look. It may be bbetter just to by a junker on Fleabay and Transfer the electronics over.

The search continues.

Sad to say its beyond repair. The mounting points at the rear are completely gone. I will continue to look. It may be bbetter just to by a junker on Fleabay and Transfer the electronics over.

The search continues.

You'll have some problems with the "true" Tamiya Grasshopper body since it screws on to the chassis in the rear and the thing is not lexan (I never liked a styrene body on a runner although I have to admit the detail is so much better then lexan.) The upgrade kit that Tamiya had out for the Grasshopper 25 or so years ago to put on a Hornet rear suspension told you to cut the body around the rear shock mounts to get the thing to fit.

The Parma does work as an alternative (although you do have to get creative and decide what you want to do about the rear body mounts.)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXNAV2&P=Z

Hrmm..interesting that there isn't a lot of spares available for the Hornet even though they are available as re-release car. Do they come in kit form like the frog/hotshot ect or are they a RTR kit?

The Parma Grasshopper body actually requires the use of the Hornet body mounts. I have a couple on my kid's Grasshopper/Hornet hybrids.

The old Parma Stinger is a direct fit for the Hornet and it comes up on eBay occasionally.

Check my_atomic or nitro-master on eBay-- they both currently have body and wing with or without decals at reasonable prices and they both will ship international.

i've got an old ('80s) parma shell sitting here from my hornet which i sold. It's in usable condition. Send me a pm if you want it :blink:

Thanks civilguy. Found my-atomic on eBay and have just ordered a full body and wing set delivered for gbp14. Now comes the dilemma. What colour?