Sign in to follow this  
minijosh

If You Get Jealous Quickly Don't Read This

Well as most of you know I am in the Air Force and will be doing a very fun tasking. I've been tasked to go with the Army and proud to do so. Well here is the part that will make you jealous. I'll be either a Troop Commander or Driver of the new military MRAPs. If you don't know what those are, go to google and look them up. So far I've driven just 2 of the versions. Both huge diesel engines and either 4x4 or 6x6. All I can say is climbing at a 60% slope has to be the most scary thing I've done with a minimum of $750,000 machine. I would take pics but they won't allow us for some reason. Let's just say a tad over 400 horses and over 1200 ft lb of torque means she'll get up and go and climb a mountain. I can't wait to test this in the terrain of the middle east.

Isn't that 4x4 or 6x6 also call the Buffalo with V shaped hall to deflect most IEDs? Best put your flack jacket under your butt for that extra protection. :lol: For interest you are in the airforce so why you get the MRAP and not an A-10 or F-18 Super Hornet or the 130? gun ship?

Oops...didn't read it carefully as you have been tasked to the army....in that case the Abraham tank with the 120 smooth bore gun would make my day. :)

:lol: Pondering the same thing? Why a MRAP instead of a Fighter. That would have been something nice to be jealous of. V10 Touareg has the same type of power figures and it's nice and plush to drive in so been there, done that got the pictures.

Still 60 degree, that sounds very steep.

Regards

Henk :)

Well I'm jealous.

Always wanted a go in a vehicle like that, and you get to drive one as a company car?

Awesome.

A fighter would be cool but I'll never be in charge of one. You have to have a degree to do that and I don't plus too old hehe. Got to play with a new one today called the Caiman. Another big dog to drive tomorrow.

The Caiman looks like a solid piece of equipment. Do you know the country of origin?

Henk :blink:

Funny enough all of the MRAP vehicles came from designs from South Africa. With all the fighting that has happened there, they needed a way to transport the children to school safely so they came up with the armored bus design which turned into the V hull shape that protected the best out of all the designs. It started back in the 70's.

Funny enough all of the MRAP vehicles came from designs from South Africa. With all the fighting that has happened there, they needed a way to transport the children to school safely so they came up with the armored bus design which turned into the V hull shape that protected the best out of all the designs. It started back in the 70's.

:P We didn't fight that much!!! :)

It was the golden age of the SA weapons industry when these saw the light. Or rather when the first armoured personnel carriers were build by Armscor. I'm proud of the fact that most of these designs are South African and glad that at least now I know of someone having fun driving them. Have fun and hope to hear from your exploits soon.

Henk :D