nosmonkey

How Much Is It Worth?

Hi guys, i know that there a probably a LOT of threads like this, but i was wondering hw much my Tamiya Hotshot II is worth.

It's bone stock, and in relatively good condition with manual (not pictured). Only faults with it are the rear right arms have been bodged and minor paint flake on the body. (Resistor does have the mount but i was in the process of cleaning it and forgot to put it back on !)

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Any ideas on price?

Thanks in advance :lol:

There is one on ebay for 10p. Follow the auction and see how high it goes.

Correct. BIN price is meaningless, hence you have to watch one that gets bid on.

BIN price is meaningless unless someone buys it, auctions are not always the best guide for prices, better to look at ebay SOLD ITEMS which covers both auction and fixed price items, might be that one day only 1 person wants a HSII and no one bids against him and anotyher day 20+ peeps want it and if there is one at a reasonable BIN price you can guarantee that will get snapped up if bidding gets anywhere near that amount, do your homework on ebay and you wil get a good idea.

cheers

I am a net buyer and I buy carefully (despite what others may say!) and I must agree with Tamiyoman on this. I have seen BIN items up for months, then sell even at what I thought was a reasonable price, whilst in the meantime auctions of identical or very similar items came and went below and above the price shown. Human psyche is a funny thing.

I sell also (hence the 'net' buyer quote above) but you would be shocked how many emails I get from watchers of BIN items of mine saying things like, 'oh I missed it, do you have another one'. Well, whilst I sometimes do, it is interesting that some folks don't want something until they can't have it!

Good luck with the sale - my tuppence? The car is worth £80-£100. The market is a bit slow right now, largely due to the season and money going in the wrong direction.

:blink:

Paul.

I am a net buyer and I buy carefully (despite what others may say!) and I must agree with Tamiyoman on this. I have seen BIN items up for months, then sell even at what I thought was a reasonable price, whilst in the meantime auctions of identical or very similar items came and went below and above the price shown. Human psyche is a funny thing.

I sell also (hence the 'net' buyer quote above) but you would be shocked how many emails I get from watchers of BIN items of mine saying things like, 'oh I missed it, do you have another one'. Well, whilst I sometimes do, it is interesting that some folks don't want something until they can't have it!

Good luck with the sale - my tuppence? The car is worth £80-£100. The market is a bit slow right now, largely due to the season and money going in the wrong direction.

Paul.

Re loaded's "carefull buyer" quote, i think thats correct to be carefull (although in Paul's case i think its carefull and often, he has a seriously clicky buy it now finger lol). There are too many people on ebay who buy the first thing they see without looking at other (mostly cheaper options) before committing that clicky finger to the BIN button. I have in particular Been amazed for months that people keep buying the re-issue Volvo 850 BTCC bodyset that a well known UK re-seller has in his shop at £79 and another well know japanese seller who is well known for his distinct lack of customer service (no prizes for guessing hwo guys sorry!) has them in his shop at £50, and they have been selling like Hot Cakes!, unfortunatley what gripes me is that I too had the Volvo 850BTCC in my own shop, albeit my own was NOT the cheap re-issue but the original Boxed version from the 90's and the galling part was my price at that time was £54.95!!, now either people dont look around (foolhardy or rich?) or like to buy the most expensive version available lol, ah well you can only do so much cant you.

I actually took mine off ebay as i was sick if seeing others sell for more LMAO (mmmmm, I wonder if I put my own back on ebay at £89 someone would probably buy it as its the most expensive version LMAO!!!!!)

Regards your HS2, I wold agree its prob worth £80, I would be happy to pay that if i was in the market for one (which im not sorry, already got one)

Cheers

Or maybe Myles, you have banned everyone from buying in your shop :blink: I will take two at £55.

Paul.

Or maybe everyone knows you have truckloads of them and are waiting for you to lower the price?

Paul.

i have a 1/10 and 1/8 S40 shells if you guys want :blink:

£80 sounds pretty good to me, although tbh i want to swap it for a scaler as i recently got a hilux shell for a quid (!)

Or maybe Myles, you have banned everyone from buying in your shop :) I will take two at £55.

Lol, only re-sellers and idiots are banned from our shops mate (I dont mean you in case i worded that incorrectly?), i think we have only have approx 15 people that are banned on the whole of ebay, re-sellers are banned for obvious reasosn, why should we let them buy it for £10 and re-sell it on ebay for £20?, that just aint fair on everyone else!, bad buyers banned= who needs them!.

Paul.

Or maybe everyone knows you have truckloads of them and are waiting for you to lower the price?

Truckloads of them lol?, I wish, trouble is now we take the long term view, we are not in any rush to sell them, so i expect they will only increase in value over the years, yes the re-issue of the bodyset will damage those sellers who are re-selling limited re-isses (not me lol) but not those that have original boxed bodysets :blink: as you well know :P

P.S. if you want one you can buy one, i have no issue with that.

:D

Paul.

:blink: I love to tease!

I can be an idiot though, it has been known!

Paul.

A couple of years ago I bought one for $175 on ebay after a hard bidding war. The listing claimed that it was in much better condition than it was. When I asked the seller to resolve the issue, he was very nasty, so I sent it back to him and filed a claim with paypal, which I won, less the $30 for shipping. In hindsight, the one I bought was in slightly better condition than yours, so in my estimate, I'd put yours at about $130-$140. I think if you do the minor things to it that you could get at least $175 or a little more. Incidentally, I have new set of original decals for the HSII which I could sell you for pretty reasonable if you're thinking about re-doing the body.

Re loaded's "carefull buyer" quote, i think thats correct to be carefull (although in Paul's case i think its carefull and often, he has a seriously clicky buy it now finger lol). There are too many people on ebay who buy the first thing they see without looking at other (mostly cheaper options) before committing that clicky finger to the BIN button. I have in particular Been amazed for months that people keep buying the re-issue Volvo 850 BTCC bodyset that a well known UK re-seller has in his shop at £79 and another well know japanese seller who is well known for his distinct lack of customer service (no prizes for guessing hwo guys sorry!) has them in his shop at £50, and they have been selling like Hot Cakes!, unfortunatley what gripes me is that I too had the Volvo 850BTCC in my own shop, albeit my own was NOT the cheap re-issue but the original Boxed version from the 90's and the galling part was my price at that time was £54.95!!, now either people dont look around (foolhardy or rich?) or like to buy the most expensive version available lol, ah well you can only do so much cant you.

I actually took mine off ebay as i was sick if seeing others sell for more LMAO (mmmmm, I wonder if I put my own back on ebay at £89 someone would probably buy it as its the most expensive version LMAO!!!!!)

Regards your HS2, I wold agree its prob worth £80, I would be happy to pay that if i was in the market for one (which im not sorry, already got one)

Cheers

There's much truth in both loaded and Tamiyoman's replies. For sure, you will be able to find yourself a better deal by doing simple searches on ePay, vary search terms, view completed items etc. And it's interesting how a particular timeframe/period, the number of available listings for similar items, and I would say pure chance all play a part in how much buyers are willing to pay for something which they could have gotten cheaper a few weeks before.

The demand for vintage stuff is funny - sometimes you feel like you really need it, sometimes there's that feeling of "yeah but not now" ... although good folks like Paul will usually fall into the "want" category :blink:. I think buyers get spurred on when they read articles or stumble across some piece of information that deems a kit "worth collecting" ... like SWB M38s, or different/misprinted boxart, or Gen 1 Hotshot bumpers for example. These are things that the average Tamiya enthusiast wouldn't know or care about unless they used to have a Hotshot or Wild Willy and want to relive nostalgia or read some good information from TC or the net, then decide they want to have one too ...

You have to consider the condition of your item, the available pictures and the starting price for your item in my opinion. Why not list it in TC first or have a Best Offer option in ePay? I'm not in a market for a HS2 myself as I'm more of a HS person, but based on those pictures alone, I'd probably pay about USD150 for it I (but I'm not looking for one to buy at the moment).

Also if you are going to list on ePay, one suggestion is to ship worldwide ... otherwise you limit your market.

Cheers.

More valid points to consider, oh and if you do list on fee-pay dont pay the extra fees to have "Worldwide Visibility" unless you feel the need as most people looking for specific items will likely use the "Advanced" search facility which shows everything w/wide anyway, the fee on ebay is just them getting more and more greedy (as if fees are not high enough already!).

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies guys and will keep everything in mind. I'm just off to give her a good clean and a polish before i take some more pictures of her :P

If anyone is interested in this give me a shout before i put it up for sale tonight or tommorow

Ahmet