VagabondStarJXF

Planning On Flying To The Philippine Islands

Pictures, pictures, please ;)

Enjoy!

PS: what camera did you use for above pics?

I fell asleep before I could start charging up my battery packs! ;) That 36 hour journey was a killer to be sure, especially seeing as I'd only had about 1 hour's worth of sleep before it all and couldn't get more than 5-10 mins sleep at a time on the plane. Perhaps I need to recharge myself first? After all, I don't want to be driving my RCs in unfamiliar conditions with tiredness impairing my already limited driving skills. ;)

Joking aside, I've gotten started on charging the batteries now so that I can run tomorrow morning before the temp gets too high. I was charging up my new Vapextech 3700mAh hump pack and it took only 15 mins to discharge and recharge. That seems awfully fast considering my Ripmax 3600mAh stick pack I'd put on as soon as it'd finished is still charging. It's been about 70 mins for that one so far. I'd kept all my batteries in my hand carry on my way here so I know they've had no mishaps whilst in my care. I'm using an Apex Beta which is discharging @ 10amps (non-adjustable discharge rate) and I've set the fast charging @ 2amps to avoid overheating as it's generally baking out here despite it getting dark already. Considering that it's a brand spanking new pack, should I be worried? Should I cycle the hump pack a few times?

Pictures, pictures, please :)

Enjoy!

Will put some up as soon as I can. Maybe a vid too if I can get a decent amount of footage filmed, edited together then uploaded. My family's internet connection isn't as fast or as stable out here as what I'm used to at home.

Just one question, (and I stress this is STRONGLY tongue in cheek)

If you're a single British man travelling to the Philippines without a girlfriend, do you think your chances are fairly high of leaving with one? ;)

If you're a single British man travelling to the Philippines without a girlfriend, do you think your chances are fairly high of leaving with one? ;)

Pictures, please ;)

I've figured out the problem with my batteries. The Vapextech pack was delivered already charged up and works really well. Its my Ripmax pack that isn't charging properly. I hadn't used it in a few months so I'm gonna try cycling it a few more times to see if it 'fixes' itself.

PS: what camera did you use for above pics?

I took those pics with my Casio Exilim EX-FH20. I've only recently got it, it's got a really high resolution compared to my previous camera so I'm still getting used to it... but now that means I'm to blame for any poorness in quality instead of my camera! :lol:

If you're a single British man travelling to the Philippines without a girlfriend, do you think your chances are fairly high of leaving with one? :lol:

Only one? B)

I've managed to get that battery working again. I cycled it pretty much all day yesterday and it got pretty hot, so hot that I thought I'd messed it up, but I let it cool down for a while then tested it and it seems to run fine now, albeit a little jittery when starting off. Thank goodness all my other batteries work ok.

I've started looking around for a TA05 VDF chassis kit (I'm trying to convince my Mom to get one for me for Christmas). I've tried contacting Lil's Hobby shop via email about it but they haven't replied and Champion are out of stock although they did say they'd get them back in before Christmas. I'm not too sure on this though being that the kit is now discontinued according to Tamiya USA.

Is there anyone else I can check out? I'd prefer it if they have an online site that I can check aswell but any contact details would be appreciated.

Finally managed to take my Buggy Champ out for its maiden run on the dirt road out front but couldn't take photos of it. It broke. That's right, it literally broke within seconds of hitting the road. Despite having used cable ties to keep the front arms together the right upright popped out. I managed to push it back in and put a fresh set of cable ties on then the lower right arm came out completely. I'd used thread lock on the grub screw so it was still in the hole but the arm had still yanked loose. I think I'll have to strip the front end to properly reattach the arm. One thing I can definitely say about this model, it doesn't handle rough roads. I'll have to find some terrain that isn't so rough for this Rough Rider Re-Re.

Right. I need to redo the thread lock on my Buggy Champ because every time I run it the screws work loose. I've been to the shops around here looking for thread lock and I've come up empty. The main problem is that no one here seems to know what thread lock is and the only brand I know off the top of my head is Loctite. Does anyone know of any other brands that might be known here in the Philippines? Or do you think I'll have better luck trying to find a hobby store that stocks the Tamiya variants? (87004 Liquid Thread Lock or 54032 Anaerobic Gel Thread Lock)

Another thing is that I'm unable to make outgoing phone calls from my family's location so I can't phone up Lil's Hobby Shop or Champion Hobbies to ask about stuff. I've emailed them but they haven't replied. Anyone know if this is usual for them?

My family and I went to pick up my Aunt from the airport then afterwards I more or less forced my family into letting me visit a couple of places to do some shopping! :D

Let me begin by saying that all I was really after was a tube of Tamiya Threadlock. "Best laid plans..." and all that! ;) Anyways, I went into Champion Hobbies first and while they didn't have the VDF chassis I was hoping to stumble upon they did have a lot of stuff that I either can't get in the UK or, if I can, the price is simply unjustifiable for what they are. I 'umm'ed and 'ahh'ed for absolutely ages because there was an M05Pro Blue Plated chassis kit there for a really nice price as well as a couple of other really cheap (comparatively to the UK) kits. Instead I opted to not buy any kits because I really wanted to look for the VDF at the next place I wanted to head to, Lil's Hobby in SM Megamall. So I bought a few shells and other bits 'n pieces before leaving Champion Hobbies. In hindsight, which is always 20/20, I probably should've bought the M05Pro, the WW2, the Lunchbox and/or the Tundra High Lift kits I was so tempted to buy but nevermind. Got to SM Megamall despite having to go past it by about 30 mins because of a poorly designed traffic system. Found my way to Lil's and what's sitting on the shelf? Not the VDF chassis I was hoping to see, that's for certain, but the new M06Pro chassis kit, a TRF201 and the new TRF417. I didn't really want the TRF kits but I was eager to give them a quick look over before declining to buy them. Oh, they also had the Tamiya Threadlock I was after. (Yay! :D ) I had a little more cash than I thought I'd have left so I figured I'd buy everyone in the family some lunch while I decided on whether or not I buy the M06Pro. I finished eating and, thoroughly annoyed with myself (the whole 20/20 hindsight thing came up while I was eating) I decided to buy the M06Pro and a body to go with it before we drove the 6 hours to get back home.

All 'n all I bought:

2 x Tamiya Mitsubishi Evo X body sets

CIMG0197.jpg

CIMG0195.jpg

CIMG0196.jpg

1 x Tamiya Gallardo Super Trofeo body set

CIMG0199.jpg

CIMG0198.jpg

1 x Tamiya Sand Scorcher 2010 body set

CIMG0203.jpg

CIMG0204.jpg

4 x Tamiya PS paint cans

CIMG0209.jpg

CIMG0211.jpg

CIMG0212.jpg

1 x Tamiya Motor Stand

CIMG0207.jpg

1 x 3 Racing Touring Car stand

CIMG0208.jpg

CIMG0206.jpg

2 x Tamiya Cockpit (Right Hand)

CIMG0192.jpg

CIMG0194.jpg

CIMG0191.jpg

1 x Tamiya M06Pro kit

CIMG0181.jpg

CIMG0182.jpg

CIMG0183.jpg

CIMG0184.jpg

CIMG0185.jpg

CIMG0178.jpg

CIMG0186.jpg

1 x Tamiya Abarth Berlina Corse body set

CIMG0189.jpg

CIMG0190.jpg

CIMG0188.jpg

and 1 x Tamiya Threadlock so I could redo the threadlock on my Buggy Champ.

Honestly I'm not sure about the body I've picked for my M06Pro. I simply don't know if the body is 'correct' for this RR chassis. If it isn't then I guess I'll just have to buy the M05Pro kit it was recommended for.

I've just found out the family is planning on heading to Baguio in the New Year. I've done a quick Google search and I've only found R/C Shack but thay don't have much Tamiya stuff on their site. Is there anywhere else in Baguio worth looking into?

I'm going to Baguio tomorrow!

Can anyone give me a heads up on the RC Shack there? Or can anyone recommend anywhere else in Baguio City?

edit:

Baguio was a bust. :lol:

That one shop was a little confusing to find because it's a 1/1 auto shop and, as it turned out, the place was closed so I couldn't tell if they had any RC stuff at all. :blink: oh well, eh?

I did end up playing a game of sorts. Beetlewatch! I basically ended up counting how many old style VW Beetles I saw while I was up there, starting with 2 that were on either side of the road as we drove into Baguio City proper. In total I saw 11 different of the old style ones (and 3 new style ones) just on this one day trip.

Sounds like you had a great day at the beach, the mishaps seem just like the ones that get you when you finally get to a good spot :huh: .

Let us know how much sand if any got in the gears.

Cheers

I'm gonna start the break down in a bit so I'll post up pics if things look particularly gnarly. I still can't believe this model survived so long being, at a couple of points, completely submerged in sandy sea water. :huh:

So I did the breakdown to clean everything up. Pics are in my showroom.

Now that everything is cleaned up as much as I can without my usual cleaning gear that I have back home in the UK I've decided to not reassemble everything, just put the front end and gearbox back together, and just pack everything up to transport home. I've put everything in little bags and/or bubble wrap and stowed it in my suitcase. My TA04 is also set for the return journey, stripped of body parts (including mounts), bumper and wheels so that it's easier to transport. Basically I've put it back to the way it was when I brought it here.

Today is my last full day so I've already got all I can packed up 'n ready to go. It's been a pretty uneventful time, RC wise, but the beach run pretty much made up for that. I didn't get round to practicing RC Drifting as much as I'd thought I would, not enough space for it to be any fun at my skill level, and only having one shopping day was a bit disappointing (although I am kinda thankful because I'm broke enough as it is ;) ) but otherwise I've had fun with the two RCs I brought along. I might've even got my cousins a little more into RCing aswell. They've been playing with their Nikko Hummer quite a bit since we went to the beach. :)

If anyone is thinking of taking a car/buggy/truck or two with them on holiday I highly recommend doing so. Even if you only get to run them in a decent location once I think it's worth it. Now I just have to survive the trip home! :)

Thanks for the write up and ouch, I've run my bc on the beach once before it was painted, but the sand wasn't to wet and I was lucky no signs of damage, but one of the front arms kept comming apart. The bc was going to be a beach only runner, your pics make me wany to soak it in hammerite ;) . ~ I'm surprised at the carnage.

I've seen some nice work on here with powder coated and painted parts for the srb's, I think I'll have to do this asap.

Glad you had a good time over all and and got your cuzs a little more into rc, have a safe trip.

Cheers

Sand only got inside because of the sand on the beach was made of really light and really fine grains so as each wave came in the sand would be lifted into the mix. Once my BC got submerged in it the sand would get into wherever it could. If your beach has heavier, larger grains of sand I don't think you'd have as much of a problem with it.

Whatever you do, paint or powdercoat, make sure you seal your gearbox before you run near water... and that includes sealing the covers. I'm not sure how you're gonna seal the wires to the motor without completely plugging the holes with silicone. Maybe heatshrink instead? Silicone would be better but would probably look messy.

Once you've sealed your gearbox you'll be able to take on waves like I did but without the worry about what might happen to the cast parts. I'm definitely going to degrease and paint the parts when I get back, maybe not right away (gotta get over the jet lag ;)) but definitely before I reassemble it again. I'll probably add it to my SRB project thread when I get on with it.

Now that I've had this experience I think my vintage Rough Rider and vintage Sand Scorcher project chassis' will become shelfers because I don't want to paint the cast metal parts on them and keep them 'natural' as they were when I got them. All my new SRB projects will get their cast metal parts painted. I doubt I'll get anything powdercoated because I don't have access to the equipment and I haven't found somewhere local to do these small parts. These chassis' will become my runner SRBs.

Poll Is Now Closed!

Here's the end result,

PollResults.jpg

About the poll at the end of my trip:

It's kinda funny. When I packed everything up to go on this trip the SRB chassis was at the top of the poll by 1 vote. When I arrived it was overtaken by the Striker chassis. I'd seriously considered bringing the Striker instead. It was my first RC and I would've been sorta nostalgic running it, like I was reliving a good childhood memory or something, but I'd decided to bring the Buggy Champ instead. In hindsight I think my Striker would've gotten much more run time because of the terrain outside the house here. The other options of the ORV and the TL01B might also have been run more but, after I'd decided on bringing the Buggy Champ, I sold my spare ORV chassis to help fund my holiday and the TL01B is still sitting in parts because I put it aside to complete my Buggy Champ build.

I don't regret my decision to bring an SRB, not in the least, but I'm thinking that maybe I should've brought along a Striker chassis instead of my TA04 Drift setup. I had taken into account the locale but I hadn't taken into account the minor changes that have occurred since I last came here. The space I would've used to practice drifting was now taken up with bicycles, cars, plant pots and other garden stuff. The road outside wasn't as rocky last time as far as I can remember but that might just be my memory being a little more 'rose tinted' than I'd like. If I'd brought another buggy I'm certain that the terrain wouldnt've been so off putting and I would've enjoyed playing out there.

Anyways... Things for me to remember for next time, if there is a next time, is that I shouldn't bring anything On-Road but stick to my Off-Road kits if I want to maximise my RC time. There's simply not enough clear, smooth asphalt for me to drift on let alone safely run any On-Road chassis. Off-Road chassis' can still run on the road should I find any but I'm certainly not limited by having an Off-Roader.

So my final thoughts for anyone planning to take a trip abroad and also thinking of taking an RC (or two :) ) with them... Do it. Take an RC with you. Just be careful as to which RC you choose. Try to take into account what other activities you'll be doing, what terrain(s) you'll have immediately available to you and how far you'll need to travel to get to other suitable places (e.g. RC tracks or Beaches). You'll also need to take into account how you'll transport everything. The TA04 and SRB chassis' that I brought with me take up quite a lot of space in my combined luggage allowance, almost enough to become inconvenient, so make sure you can carry everything you'd need (radio gear, batteries and chargers aswell) without taking up your entire weight limit or total luggage allowance. Travelling as far as I did meant I only had 20kg in my main checked luggage and 7kg in my hand carry so I was very limited in my space on my way here and just as limited for my return journey.

Thanks to all who voted and/or offered advice or well wishes. I've had a good time here and hope to bring an RC with me on my next holiday wherever that holiday might be. Time for me to head back to the UK! :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll be putting it all into action around May, hopefully I'll get some proper pics then and a showroom.

Cheers

All my RCs are in France at the mo. This year I managed to fly off to warmer weather from London for this winter, just made it out before the snow, lucky me.

Didn't bring an RC with me, did consider it, just as well as the electricity here has killed my mobile battery it only works when plugged in!

So back to London I'll stock up on a few parts then over to France. Only thing is I have no internet in France so will have to visit some internet cafes to log in,

but I've got a summer of R+R+RC to look forward to, finish up some builds preping my BC and a lot of running at the beach, but I've also found places that are

good for scale running and I'll be trying to get some proper pics.

How hard were the inpacts that bent your chassis plate? Were you doing jumps or just running hard in the sand? They looked fairly sturdy?

Cheers

The bend was only slight with a little twisting aswell. I was trying to do a jump off a mound of wet sand left over from when someone was being buried by their friends. I hit it at full pelt and the thing acted like a wall instead of a ramp. :D It's ok though. The chassis plate was easy enough to bend back today (I've literally just unpacked it this afternoon) and I'm sure that if I hadn't hit the thing so hard, or if the thing had acted like a ramp, there wouldnt've been any problem. I definitely think it would've been worse if I'd stuck with the stock chassis plates so, if you haven't already, I think you should consider getting these upgraded on your BC, especially if you plan on doing rough jumps.

Sounds like you would have cracked the stock one! Not planning on building ramps, but don't mind if I get a little air if I find a natural launch, but I have managed to hit roots and rocks with my bad driving <_< so safty first. I had planned to get some of Rad's lovely craftmanship but he stopped when I was away in France, I still kick myself I didn't before going away ;) . I have been thinking of either getting some when I get back, or trying my hand at making one, I suppose I should do both then I'll be covered. I remember seeing one with the vw cut out of it and a skull face on another, I think. I like things with details, I might have to talk to a few people see if I can get some custom ones done or find someone doing them.

Have you any ideas for protecting the UJs? I don't recall seeing anyone do much to these, I think i've seen some coated ones, could be worth a look

I'm not sure about protecting the UJs. The new shiny silver ones on the BC might be fine but the old brass ones I used definitely didn't like the sea water. I had originally bought some tubing to go around them to protect them from debris, an idea I'd seen on someone elses SRB on here, but the tube I got was too thick so I had to leave it off otherwise I wouldt've been able to fit the gear cover back on. Perhaps a variation on that idea might work. It's an idea that I've been theorising about for a while and wish, in full 20/20 hindsight, I'd given this idea a shot before I'd left. The idea is that I cover each brass UJ in some heatshrink because it's nicely thin and flexible(ish), trim it down so that it doesn't interfere with the gearbox and use a little silicone sealant on the outside end. The only problem is that I can't seal the end that's next to the gearbox because it's so close. That's just an idea to protect brass UJs though. The new BC UJs might be a lot less reactive to sea water.

Thats true about the new ones, funny thing is my scorcher, I've done a weathered shell, so cosmetic damage I wouldn't mind so much, but I haven't run that at the beach yet. I might as well strip them both add steel pinions in paint the gear cases and seal em up. I've got a coupe of RC Channel metal kits for the BC but I think I'll do my third srb, with that and a diff to have a runner for tarmac. Winter 2012 for that one!