netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

Sorry this might be old news but a contact confirmed this today, so I thought I'd drop by and post it here (for those that can remember when I leaked the SRB release about 5 years early :blink: , This one is a bit more imminent.)

- Same (unpaintable body)

- tweaked stickers

- black roll cage and front bumper

- new gear protector

- 380 motor

- ESC included

- boxed in a TT01 size kit, rather than the old large size box.

- retail around 10-12000 JPY

- Release July/August.

Mods - feel free to delete this is its duplicated somewhere.

Cheers

Chris

Surprises me that they do the Holiday Buggy and not the much better looking Sand Rover from this chassis type. The Holiday buggy always put me in mind of an old vintage car turned into a buggy (think Jaguar SS100 on a VW buggy chassis). Would be my least favourite of any of the first 100 buggys. One I would never consider, body wise or chassis wise.

Someone out there must like it if the development dept thought it warranted re-release. Good luck to those that like this car.

Netsmith!!! Are you pulling our leggs again?!! :blink:

Badboy

Last time I wasn't pulling you leg - I was just too far a head of the release date (by 5 or 6 years) ;)

Still not sure about the chassis - at first I was told that it was going to be a newer style chassis, but when I got the details through I couldn't see anything that indicated it would be different.

I think the confusing came with the package details as they said it would come in a TT01 size/style box.

The only gear box news I know is

- a new protective gear cover.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else though.

Chris

See! They didn't believe me lol! ...permission to engage smug-mode sir?.... ;)

Despite having bought a couple of Holiday Buggys very recently, I'm pretty chuffed about a re-re ... not that I'd necessarily buy one:

- I'll be able to get some rear tyres and gears at a reasonable price;

- Mine'll still be vintage (and cost less than the re-re - 10,000 to 12000 JPY is what, 110 to 130 USD? So all things being equal, that'll equate to a retail price in the UK of £130);

- The Sand Rover will undoubtedly also be re-re'd (Tamiya always seem to do things in pairs) - & I'd definitely get a couple of those.

The polyethylene body is not unpaintable - you just have to rub it down thoroughly, use a suitable (plastic) primer & paint ... & not hit anything & scratch it. ;)

My crystal ball is in good fettle these days. Go on, ask me what's coming next.... ;)

Five more to come. Holiday Buggy > Sand Rover > FAV > Wild One > Astute. After that it's game over and they will move on to selected big sellers from the 1990s.
I think they will come in near identical form to the originals, with the exception of a sealed gearbox.
There is nothing wrong with the original chassis except for the lack of a modern sealed gearbox. And if these do get reissued they will be specifically marketed as extreme entry level R/C kits, such is their simplicity.

Remember that the re-re's are all produced with minimal production costs being high on the Tamiya agenda.

We'd be talking a retail price similar to the Grasshopper I reckon.

Don't get me wrong, I know the chassis is pretty poor but I just think they wouldn't have to do much with it to improve those obvious faults. Just add a sealed gearbox & some improved suspension. Just enough to make it appealing to Dads looking to buy their 10 year olds their first "serious" R/C.

Of course they know that us oldies will buy it but they still have to be able to justify it's existence in the 21st century as a decent runner whilst of course staying pure to the original design, just like they have with all of the previous reissues.

So Wandy ... what's next? ;)

Well, apart from the other four mentioned above I now have a growing feeling that, following the success in selling droves of an antiquated technical dinosaur, ie the SRB chassis, they are going to take the plunge and bring back the Bruiser. Or failing that the original Hilux.

fantastic news! my all time favourite Tamiya is coming back, will defo be getting a couple.

Had to check the date of this thread as hadn't seen a NetSmithUK post for ages - welcome back, is this a brief return?

Never expected the Holiday Buggy to be re-released; guess only 30yr old+ people will buy it as anyone younger will be sorely disappointed with its off-road capability, especially compared to modern rc cars.

;)

Fantastic news ! You bet the Sand Rover is coming next as they seem to release the less popular model first...

I'll finaly have a runner ! And for 80 Quid , thats even better.

Interesting... I did here that they were thinking of re releasing this back last summer, but then all went quiet.

Holiday buggy???? Uhmmmm...and where is the Monster Beetle?????? ;) Or even a Ford Bronco on cc-01 chassis? (ok it isnt's a re-release...but ;) )

Hmmmm, not such a fan of the holiday buggy but I could go for a sand rover for sure! 8)

Hmmmm, not such a fan of the holiday buggy but I could go for a sand rover for sure! 8)

one would imagine that the sand rover is sure to follow the holiday buggy!

not a big fan, but this just means I can finally save some money for the next re-re ..the ss2010 and bc2009 already killed the wallet

Makes sense for them to re-re the holiday buggy first as its less popular, get a load of sales in then re-re the favoured sand rover to generate more cash (pretty much like they did with Rough rider/Sand scorcher re-re's)

Would imagine they will do same with FAV/Wild One, re re the less popular first then the big seller?.

Makes sense for them to re-re the holiday buggy first as its less popular, get a load of sales in then re-re the favoured sand rover to generate more cash (pretty much like they did with Rough rider/Sand scorcher re-re's)

that seems standard practice in business

like apple - release the iphone - get all the fanboys to buy it - then release a new version with "AMAZING" new (to apple) features - then the apple fanboys buy that one

it's all good though. i'd like a hb and an sr (or a fav and a wild one). i am a tamiya fanboy.

TBH i probably wont buy any of those 4 as they are not my cup of tea anyway, wild one would be the only one i would consider purely for beach bashing on the dunes, otherwise no interest from me for those 4, however should they re-re the avante or vanquish i would probably buy 5 each ;-)

I'm surprised that people seem underwhelmed by this one. After all it's one of the buggies from the very same era as the SRBs, ie the very early days of R/C, and it's one of those types that the community claim they crave....scale and realistic looks, a buggy that truly looks like it belongs on the beach. Personally I'm delighted as it is one of the ones on my wishlist but I wasn't prepared to fork out the £200+ that the originals have previously been going for. And has been pointed out, the Sand Rover will almost certainly follow within the next 12 months. Most of all though what encourages me is the way Tamiya are dipping their toe further and further in the re-re water, giving me hope that they are going to bring back the old 3 speeds..warts and all.

The holiday buggy was ace and the truth was it was better on the beach than any srb as it was a lot lighter.

The sand rover always looked like a toy next to it and it was not as popular in my neck me the woods.

I've just finished restoring mine ready for the beach this summer.

I heard rumours that the new one is a re-imagining of the car with a different chassis and suspension. Which makes alot of sense as the original chassis front suspension mounts would snap in minutes.

If it is a rerelease then i will be getting a gear cover as i had to buy a lexan third party one back in the day

Either way im excited if this is true

if the price is kept keen, tamiya will sell a lot of these I reckon as they always get snapped up on the bay and dont stay in trade rooms for long.

Although there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of hysteria and shouting from the roof tops on the TC forum that its coming this could well eclipse a lot of re-re sales as we are getting a car from the srb era at pocket change money, that even many non collectors who had one as child may fancy a bit of childhood fun for a small outlay.