netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

have had uk release confirmed by a reliable source to be september

so i guess the first release (in the east) is looking like august sometime

and "no firm images" are yet available, but it is definately DT02 chassis based.

The vocal minority obsessed with tiny details were the only ones who were disappointed with the Sand Scorcher re-re. I thought it was brilliant. I bought three.

However, I still can't figure out who Tamiya are making this HB re-re for. The Scorcher was obviously aimed at nostalgia freaks and collectors, with the blister packs, detailed body and close representation of the original kit and metal parts. The HB re-re won't appeal to collectors because of the modern packaging and characterless chassis. They chose the uglier shell out of the HB and Sand Rover, and there's no nostalgia appeal with the shell for eveyrone else, so I can't see many other people buying it either.

As I said, I can only see people who want the shell and wheels/tires buying this kit. I can see most of these being split for parts by resellers.

MSRP of $147... So that will mean it will be about $90 when it hits the HK sellers.

I hope they do, so they can keep in tune with what we really want. And obviously what we don't want is old shells refitted to a new chassis. Although the Blitzer Beetle is one exception to that rule... That worked.

I am pretty sure they do keep tabs on this forum - why wouldn't they? It's free market research from the collector corner of their market.

- James

So even if this new Holiday Buggy looks identical to the original, ie stance, bumper, ground clearance, wheels & tyres etc...even though underneath is a completely different chassis...you still won't be buying it?

So even if this new Holiday Buggy looks identical to the original, ie stance, bumper, ground clearance, wheels & tyres etc...even though underneath is a completely different chassis...you still won't be buying it?

It's a dealbreaker to me. No original chassis -- No buy!

/Rocketeer

If they managed to retain the look of the original (stance, clearance etc) then I'd definitely buy one - I've always thought the (original ) HB was a good looking car

Still not sure of the genius behind putting such a fragile shell on a modern chassis - At least the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ has a replaceable roof section

img45_23062004212853_1.jpg

If they managed to retain the look of the original (stance, clearance etc) then I'd definitely buy one - I've always thought the (original ) HB was a good looking car

Still not sure of the genius behind putting such a fragile shell on a modern chassis - At least the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ has a replaceable roof section

img45_23062004212853_1.jpg

I'm with you on that. Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer it to come with the old chassis, warts and all, but the way the car looks is the most important thing to me. One thing about this car is that they can feasibly get away with having a completely different chassis underneath without noticing it. They could not have done that with any of the other re-releases and maybe that's why they are doing it differently with this one.

I think the real reason why the old chassis has been ditched though is that they simply could not improve it without mauling it, which would have cost them too much to justify.

Precisely. Nearly every one that you see on Ebay has cracked / missing / broken off roof pillars. The ones that don't go for a fortune of cash. I was hoping to get a brand new shell with strengthening in that area, redesigned by Tamiya so that it's a bit more practical.

ARG.

I'd imagine Striker owners everywhere are rejoicing at this news.

There will now be a car offered by Tamiya that's uglier than theirs.

I'd imagine Striker owners everywhere are rejoicing at this news.

There will now be a car offered by Tamiya that's uglier than theirs.

i have a striker

it's a beauty

it sits on a shelf with my neo falcon. another aesthetical masterpiece.

news of this release means i have to make some room on my "woowee that's a looker" shelf!

can't wait!

Confirmed.

Unfortunately I got the news on my way to Sicily a week ago, only just got back. Body redesigned in white plastic, chassis altered, packaging and pricing as described. I really didn't expect this :)

Paul.

i have a striker

it's a beauty

it sits on a shelf with my neo falcon. another aesthetical masterpiece.

news of this release means i have to make some room on my "woowee that's a looker" shelf!

can't wait!

:) By making more space, does that mean your guide dog is now going to have sleep somewhere else?

Body redesigned in white plastic

<pigeons>cat</pigeons>

Body redesigned in white plastic, chassis altered, packaging and pricing as described.

Paul.

Let's hope it's a more paintable plastic this time then

I'm gonna do mine blue :)

hi mr j anderson,thanks for the added info.

would i be right in guessing it will come with a 380 motor? due to the "req for 540 size motor" section.

as mentioned elsewhere in this thread,it seems half the fun of this model is in the guessing! lol!

Wow - Looks like it's going to be a DT02 with a 380 motor? :) Just speculating of course, but I can't imagine you'd need to upgrade to a 540 for any other reason, lol ;) I guess you will still be able to get the authentic experience of swapping vintage motors, even if it's a newer chassis design. I am very happy to see the driver figure and original wheels are going to be included, thankfully! As mentioned by others, I'm still not sure who this kit is aimed at though... Adult collectors that want to buy a piece of nostalgia for their kids?

-S

Hi, thanks for the extra info'. Might I make 2 suggestions please, 1) can the body be without holes in the bonnet / hood, as the feedback from vast majority of those on here would strongly suggest that they don't like it, and 2) Can the roof section and roof pillars be a separate section from the body, so we can replace them as just about every old HB body that you see on Ebay is broken in this area, and the roof pillars need to be a lot stronger. Put in some kind of roll cage perhaps? Maybe use Glass Filled Nylon instead of the non composite much weaker materials that tend to be used by Tamiya over the years (example : Top Force suspension arms, Kyosho and Schumacher ones are far superior). Wish I felt that I didn't have to mention it but it always annoys me, and after all it's my own money that's going to be going on one of these...

Just my 2 pence worth LOL.

Regards,

Alistair G.

I'm still not sure who this kit is aimed at though... Adult collectors that want to buy a piece of nostalgia for their kids?

No, it's aimed at adult collectors who want a piece of nostalgia and their kids. They are looking at a way to get youngsters into entry level R/C with something that, providing it looks near identical on the outside to the original, will also appeal to vintage fans.

We-e-e-ell... To tell the truth, I was never a fan of the Holiday Buggy or the Sand Rover, and I probably wouldn't buy a 100% faithful re-release, so.... No.

I can appreciate that these cars have a strong nostalgic appeal to those who had one or knew someone who had one back in the day, but they just don't have that extra special appeal that has made the Sand Scorcher such an iconic car. The HB and SR just don't have that 'wow' factor that makes the Sand Scorcher's appeal more than just nostalgia. The Sand Scorcher is still an impressive scale model, even today. I never saw a Sand Scorcher as a kid. I'd seen pictures of some weird VW car on my Frog spare front tire box, and wondered what it was. I only saw my first SRB until a couple of years ago. Even then I was still so impressed with the SRB kits that I could not wait to get one (several!) when the SRB re-releases came out.

It captures one aspect of the original car - A detailed shell on an entry level chassis.

- James

Hi, thanks for the extra info'. Might I make 2 suggestions please, 1) can the body be without holes in the bonnet / hood, as the feedback from vast majority of those on here would strongly suggest that they don't like it, and 2) Can the roof section and roof pillars be a separate section from the body, so we can replace them as just about every old HB body that you see on Ebay is broken in this area, and the roof pillars need to be a lot stronger. Put in some kind of roll cage perhaps? Maybe use Glass Filled Nylon instead of the non composite much weaker materials that tend to be used by Tamiya over the years (example : Top Force suspension arms, Kyosho and Schumacher ones are far superior). Wish I felt that I didn't have to mention it but it always annoys me, and after all it's my own money that's going to be going on one of these...

Just my 2 pence worth LOL.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Aren't TamiyaUSA just an importer so it's doubtful if they can have any design input into this hybrid Holiday Buggy.

Tamiya USA are owned by Tamiya in Japan, there is a great deal of flow of information, but they are still theoretically the US distributor only.

The information I have about the body is good, so I am surprised at the conflict of information (as one would expect Tamiya USA to be right on this), but I guess we will all just have to wait and see :)

If the release date is really August as I have been told for some markets, then it is a bit late for any changes, I would suspect all design aspects have been set in stone and production is starting in some respects.

Keep well!

Paul.

I only saw my first SRB until a couple of years ago. Even then I was still so impressed with the SRB kits that I could not wait to get one (several!) when the SRB re-releases came out.

Slight exaggeration surely? You've been a member for 8 years! :blink:;)

Slight exaggeration surely? You've been a member for 8 years! :blink:;)

Nope. I'd seen plenty of pictures of SRBs since joining TC, but I hadn't seen an SRB in the flesh until I dropped in on another TC member a few years back.

I hadn't even seen a Bruiser first hand until I bit the bullet and bought one. Needless to say, taking a huge heavy Bruiser out of its packaging having never seen one before simply blew me away.

- James

Might I make 2 suggestions please, 1) can the body be without holes in the bonnet / hood, as the feedback from vast majority of those on here would strongly suggest that they don't like it, and 2) Can the roof section and roof pillars be a separate section from the body, so we can replace them as just about every old HB body that you see on Ebay is broken in this area, and the roof pillars need to be a lot stronger. Put in some kind of roll cage perhaps? Maybe use....etc.

You, er.... think there's a chance TamiyaUSA have the time (or power) to ask Tamiya Japan to change the car now? :blink:

The vocal minority obsessed with tiny details were the only ones who were disappointed with the Sand Scorcher re-re. I thought it was brilliant. I bought three.

IMHO, lots of tiny details together add up to a big detail. Plus, don't we all obsess over the small details of these cars? It's quite common behavior in model collecting.

H.

I have to agree with Rob here, Tamiya models are about the detail largely, especially the old ones. If you want performance only there are other cheaper, or possibly better manufacturers to go for. Although I like the Sand Scorcher tribute re issue, it isn't for me that close to the original. Frankly a Blitzer bodyset and a Buggy Champ, or old SRB would have done the same trick. Doesn't mean I haven't bought them and won't run them :blink:

Paul.